Dubravka Tomsic for next to nothing on iTunes

edited December 2009 in Classical
iTunes (Europe and US) has got a huge slice of Dubravka Tomsic's recordings for next to nothing. Her Beethoven sonatas at 4.99 (Euro or Dollar, depending) and the complete Mozart sonatas plus four concertos for the same price.

Dubravka Tomsic studied under Rubinstein (one of the few people to do so). She never achieved fame, but her recordings of Mozart, in particular, have quite a cult following. Her Mozart is warm, nuanced without being in the slightest precious. Her Beethoven, too, is certainly a cut above the average - no shortage of power when needed. I find her Mozart concertos, especially 22, the sort of thing I play when life is just right.

Oh - another tip: The vast selection of Schubert piano music on iTimes for 4.99 that is listed under Dubravka Tomsic's name is, in fact, the complete Schnabel Schubert recordings, remastered from 78s - and remastered quite well, according to Jed Distler.

There's also a huge chunk of Chopin, which I haven't listened to yet, but on the basis of her Mozart and Beethoven should be well worth the tiny investment. All in all, you get about 270 tracks for your 15 Euro/bucks. Not counting the Schubert.

Comments