Dance/Electronic Music -- e.g., Dubstep, Nu-Disco, Deep House, Minimal Techno

edited December 2009 in General
I've found an astounding number of top-shelf dance tracks at eMusic lately. Here are some I recently discovered:

• Alain Bertoni – Good Time (Original Extended Mix)
• Camels on Duty – Food Run (Jay Funk Remix)
• Blue Daisy (featuring LaNote) – Space Ex
• Chase & Status – Against All Odds (featuring Kano)
• Hot Toddy – I Need Love (Morgan Geist’s Love Dub)
• King Midas Sound – Lost
• Lorenzo, Chezidek – Mr. Dub Officer
• Para – Rescue Me
• Radio Trip – Strange Music (Yair Kass Everybody’s Happy Remix)
• Smoove & Turrell – Beggarman
• A. Livingstone – Youth Uprising

Via Juno Downloads, I’ve also discovered Joy Orbison, Radikal Guru and – most importantly – DJ Sprinkles, whose 2009 import-only disc, Midtown 120 Blues, might have become my No. 1 record of the year.

What have you discovered? What do you like, and why?

Comments

• edited December 2009
    This year has seen me buy less Electronic albums than usual but here are a handful that immediately came to mind...

Felix Da Housecat - He Was King
    PANTyRAiD - The Sauce
    2562 - Unbalance
    Tricky - Tricky Meets South Rakkas Crew
    Systema Solar - Systema Solar (Amie Street)

I'll also second the DJ Sprinkles album, it is sublime, and also toss in Hawke's +++, which while not in the same league as Midtown 120 Blues, is a solid release. :-D
  • edited December 2009
    Man, Midtown 120 Blues is so good. I've heard people criticise the opening rant by Sprinkles, but I think that's my favorite track! The other favorite -- the one with the slowed beats, slurred sound and the vocals about the guy (probably gay or trans-gendered, I'd guess) who is "getting knocked around" for his appearance -- is heartbreaking.

A lot of people love that Unbalance disc. I haven't been able to get into it -- too blippy and skronk-y for me, so far. I'll have to give it another listen.
  • edited December 2009
    This year I've been digging into what thay call nu funk here (I've also heard it called funky breaks, but that means something different to me... very confusing). Whatever you call it, It's broken beats done with a heavy dose of funk. There are some official releases on eMu, from labels such as Good Groove ( spelt Goodgroove at eMu) and Jalapeno.
    The Beggarman release form Smoove & Turrell which Daniel, Esq. mentions is one, though I think I may prefer the previous single from the album - I can't give you up I find the real gems are often the remixes created for a less commercial market. I've been looking through sources like NuFunk.co.uk - lots of freebees (in the Mixes and Tracks sections), and pointers to tracks like Get Away(Basement Freaks Remix) by Dj Kid Stretch - my absolute favourite for the last couple of days.
    The dj mixes invariably contain lots of re-rubs and unreleased versions of existing singles which you can not get anywhere else, the favourite at the moment is Fort Knox Five Studio Mix - track 3 is an astounding re-work of Hot Chocolate's Everyone's A Winner.
    Overall the electronic haul at eMu has been disappointing this year. Whether I've spent too much time tracking down mixes and tracks at other places because eMu selection is poor, or mu haul is poor because of lack of effort at eMu, I'm not sure.

edit
    @ Daniel, Esq. - looking at your list has reminded me of Breakbeat Paradise Recordings, lots of great releases - Nu Skool Summer Breaks in particular
  • edited December 2009
    Do you use Juno Downloads, Martyna? That -- and RA -- have been invaluable resources for me in the dance-type genres.
  • I do use Juno, and djdownload, but rarely. In these cash strapped times, I try to limit my spending. I am lucky in that I know a few djs who can point me towards freebies and allow me to spend my money efficiently by letting me listen to music they find first. Also I have access to software which enables me to break down the mixes available on the net so I can remove tracks I don't like or listen to them individually. The results are nowhere near as good as a proper mix, but, hey, we are in a recession.
    I've not used RA though, I'll have to take a look.

Oh, and I do like that Chase & Status track too.
  • @ Daniel, Esq.
    Just had a look at RA, looks very interesting, thanks.
    It probably seems strange, but I've never got round to reading reviews etc. when hunting for music. I tend to follow artists - I'll hear a track so I'll look into the artist, then I'll like someone's remix and see what the've done, and on and on...
    How do you go about choosing what you download?
  • Winter is dubstep-season for me. We're going to the DC area tomorrow. It will be cold, with snow flurries later in the week, so that means . . . Burial; Shackleton; King Midas Sound; Deadbeat; DJ/Rupture (although his version of dubstep is more warm and humid). Oh, also some minimal-ish music, e.g., Paul Kalkbrenner's massive Tatu-Tata.
  • Funny, it's opposite for me. Winter is funk, house and lively breaks to get me moving while summer goes more mid tempo and dubby.
  • For me it's Reggae/Dub:Summer as Dubstep:Winter.