The Joy (?) of Downloading

edited January 2010 in Classical
Quite an interesting article on Music Web International about downloading this week, with some pointers to good bargains available in the UK::

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2010/Jan10/Joy_Downloading.htm

Two comments in particular struck a chord:

1. "I have tried Passionato and e-music and not returned"
2. "... there are quite a lot of arbitrary “album only” designations out there. I suspect they discourage rather than encourage purchase and the reasons for them escape me entirely."

Comments

• I wonder what it was about eMusic that he didn't like? Whatever about album-only tracks, pricewise it's still competitive. The Kubelik Mahler 8, Imogen Cooper's Schubert, and Dmitri Shostakovich Jr all work out cheaper on eMusic even at the worst subscription rate.
    Also, lumping Passionato and eMusic together seems like a big insult to the latter.
  • "I wonder what it was about eMusic that he didn't like? "

Maybe he was unimpressed by the laughable search facilities. It's still "cheap", I suppose, as you say.
  • You know, I'm so used to the quirks of eMusic that I actually hardly notice anything seriously wrong with the search function any more.
    For example, I've gotten very good at identifying covers of albums I don't know. The Shostakovich concerto, I managed to find by doing an album search and then spotting a cover that looked very Chandos-y.
  • edited January 2010
    Hey, Nereffid, why not set up a search consultancy for Emusic?!

EDIT. Still lots of grumbles on the boards, I see:

http://www.emusic.com/messageboard/viewTopic.html?topicId=223450#

Tchaikovsky has morphed into 52 separate identities, apparently
  • "why not set up a search consultancy for Emusic?!"

That's a brilliant idea! My service will involve calling a phone number to make a search request, and then within 24 hours you will receive an automated response in which a computer-generated voice reads out the appropriate album URL.

Speaking of Tchaikovsky, P.I....
  • Loved Tchaikovsky P.I. Didn’t Ken Russell make a film of it in the 70s?