Miles from India

edited January 2010 in General
Miles from India live in Paris, 2009. Fantastic "east meets west" versions of Miles Davis. This is a great recording, and I highly recommend it. My guess is that this blog will "expire" the downloads eventually, so grab it if you get a chance.

Comments

• Thanks! This sounds like it'll be pretty darn cool.

Craig
  • I have also been enjoying Shakti, with John McLaughlin, and recommend the "deal" on Amazon for Shakti With John McLaughlin, since it is $2.99 for three tracks, track one is 18+ minutes and track three is 29+ minutes. Same sort of sound, but without the theme of Miles Davis running through the set. McLaughlin is such a phenomenal guitarist and the Indian / Raga thing really works for him.
  • edited January 2010
    it probably does not need to be said, but; i hope anyone who cares about Miles Davis or John Mclaughlin has heard this Tribute to Jack Johnson
  • edited January 2010
    OMG ! - this makes me almost wish that Sony was available in Europe.

- But I wholeheartedly second the Shakti rec. I´ve seen them live many years ago and have the good old vinyl of A HANDFUL OF BEAUTY. As far as I remember, John had a special guitar build for his work with Shakti. You can see the U shape between each fret on this cover that made it possible to bend the tones in Indian style.
    - And L Shankar's violin. . . Wow!
  • edited January 2010
    edit : actually, it's not very good
  • color me cheap-ass, but i'm not doling out 12 np's for 2 trax. srmj. BUT, the samples are just so "if i were able to say 'allah'" great that i'm going to hunt down the jack johnson tribute thru my library.

by the way, am i s'pose to think steely dan is the living end or should i stick to lynyrd skynyrd?

• >color me cheap-ass,

Ok, me too. I bought it on Amazon for $2.99, the above message has a link. As for Steely Dan, they're just Show-biz kids making movies of themselves. They don't give a f......
  • thankee...i was having a rough go of it with all these big label drops + got caught up in "well, i s'pose there's something really big in there that i'm unfamiliar with that i should get around to trying"
  • >color me cheap-ass,

cheap ass is the color of my true love's hair also; I wouldn't lay 12 down for it (have the vinyl). that said, Jack Johnson is a rewarding experience well worth aquiring on more agreeable terms.
  • Listened to the Miles from India concert last night, very enjoyable. Thanks to Plong for the heads-up.
  • edited January 2010
    Steely Dan made some good records. Most anything prior to and not including Aja
  • I'm going to rec. this for the second time here today by way of "something really big in there that i'm unfamiliar with [maybe?] that i should get around to trying." Then I'll shut up.