5 songs needed for sonic bracing

edited February 2010 in General
preferably explosive beasts with roaring jazz heads and muscular rock appendages.... something to beard the twirled mustachio of circumstance.

(last time around this resulted in my the discovery of "carboniferus" by zu)

Comments

• Crap, Carboniferous was going to be my suggestion. Now I gotta look for something else...
  • Looking at my list of 5 track albums, it's hard to find ones that haven't been ruined by album pricing. Here's a few left:

Bondage Fruit - Selected
    Nisennenmondai - Destination Tokyo
    Chris McGregor's Brotherhood Of Breath - Brotherhood (not muscular but good)

Scorch Trio has albums that are 6 or 7 tracks.
  • The two most recent 5 track albums I've grabbed:

Delorean - Ayrton Senna: Not muscular rock, when I'm in a good mood it certainly gets me hopping.

Claus Peter Flor - Suk, J: Asrael: Classical BIS REC from here that is good, but not in line with what you're looking for.

Craig
  • thanks for the recommendations;
    interesting, but not exactly what i was looking for.

"Naked City" by John Zorn is another good point of reference.

can anyone suggest 5 particularly energetic songs by The Vandermark 5?
  • SRM, I can dig up 5 rockin' Nels Cline tracks if you want. I can do V5 also, given some time, but not off top of head.

(I'm assuming you are not asking for 5 track albums, like some above have responded.)
  • kargatron,
    i have reduced down to the 12 download plan....just trying to make them count.
    I have not heard of Nels Cline, so when you get a chance, lay some on me.

thanks
  • Not quite as screeching, but how about these rather rockin' tunes:

"Welcome to Frankfurt" by Charlie Hunter (I believe this was a daily download, so you may already have it)
    "Cueball Boppin'" by the Charlie Hunter Trio
  • thanks for the Charlie Hunter rec thom.

for anyone who is interested, Charlie's website has loads of free Mp3s from various gigs throughout the years: right here

good stuff
  • Speaking of Charlie Hunter, I'm a big fan of this Bobby Previte album he is prominently featured on: The Coalition of the Willing. (For example)
  • edited February 2010
    @srm Glad you like it. Yeah, lots of freebies on that site. I really need to see him live.

@kargatron Damn you! I was trying to get over the fact that I forgot to get that album before canceling my eMu account and you had to remind me! Their collaboration Come in Red Dog, This Is Tango Leader is one of my faves - probably my first foray into "new jazz" ;)
  • Well, srm, there ain't no jazz in this but it is a sickalicious track from Evan Johns and the H-Bombs Rollin' Through The Night, a hard-ass rocking album in total, but the song in particular, Evacuation.
  • @kargatron Damn you! I was trying to get over the fact that I forgot to get (Previte's The Coalition of the Willing)
    thom, you can stream at least 3 live gigs of this band at Previte's bandcamp site. That should soften the sting a bit. Browse there for a handful of free tracks from various gigs too.
  • thanks for the recommendations.

@hoosfoos- i have the Zorn and Massacre.....Sax Ruins is something i will be checking out.

i chose to go with some of The Vandermark 5's earlier stuff:
    Careen
    Momentum-both from Single Piece Flow
    Sucker Punch
    Fever Dream-both from Target or Flag
    In Focus-from Burn The Incline

maybe a little towards their conventional side but still lively.
  • hey man - not sure where y'er at in your cycle, but i came across a compilation - the roots of american psych - or something along that line...i linked it in a thread titled "rockabilly" that is currently on the emu boards. when i refresh i'll grab and let you know if it's all that.

clink.
  • @ BigD- thanks for the Evan Johns rec; i have been a fan since the early days. you might like the Jimmy Agren i mention in the Amazon mp3 thread

@Brittleblood-the psychobilly comp looks interesting and certainly packs a bang for the buck...let me know how it is.
  • edited February 2010
    Dear brit and srm, I hit that The Roots Of American Psychobilly last fall and would definitely recommend it - I had just wanted to give it a relook before I shot my mouth off. It's got a mix of well, or reasonably well, known - originals of Red Hot by Billy Lee Riley, Skinnie Jim by Eddie Cochran. Collins Kids, Sonny Burgess, Eddie Bonds, along with some good obscure cuts, including one of my favorites Hit, Git, and Split by Young Jessie - I found that years ago and stole it to do with my band back in the day. It's a good comp fer sure. And srm, thanks for the input on that Psychedelic '60's comp over at the other place, that's definitely going on the short SFL.