Incompetent thieving rat bastards

edited June 2009 in General
OK, there I feel better.

Just spent a couple hours with the glorious download mangler.

I pretty much expect thieving rat bastardom from most encounters with the interweb and that's OK. Such is life. However, I do insist on a certain level of competence. These people are screwing with my peace of mind, and that's not OK. Now I am seriously considering canceling my account.

Comments

• incompetent rattards followed by a tsunami of the great unwashed. good luck.
  • Hiya JUJ, good to see you're alive.
    Did the emu dl manager quit working on you? Or did you get your last downloads. I have another month at 90. Sob.

followed by a tsunami of the great unwashed
    I am NOT looking forward to this. I am planning on staying a few months with the eMusic Lite plan. We'll see.
  • edited June 2009
    I got tired of seeing the pop up box telling me there was a new version of the download mangler so I bit. Mistake!
    How can they screw up a thing as simple as the download mangler. The latest version is as useless an incarnation of bloatware as I have encountered on the web.
    5 hours later I finally get the 3.0 version to work properly again.
    Geez
  • Ah. I am on a v4.0 version, but it's not the latest. It seems to work OK for entire albums, but woe befalls the fool trying to complete an album. I have to click on a track and pretty much, make sure it downloads completely before clicking another, or the darn thing loses a few tracks.
  • JUJ -- good to see you. I have missed you over at eMu.

My take on the new DL Mangler -- I was forced to download it because Ver 3 stopped working. I tried all sorts of tricks, and absolutely nothing would download. So I finally paid attention to the dratted pop up. Sometimes Ver 4 works, downloading the entire album with no problem. I cannot add a second album to the queue (is that spelled right?) because once the first album is downloaded, the second one reads "File not available." After perusing the Help files -- or was it some of the help info after I started to contact Customer Service; they are different -- I learned that you cannot rescue a download after a certain amount of time has passed since clicking the download button. Still being in the dark ages on dialup, that is definitely a problem. So now it's one album at a time.

Sometimes a file just stops downloading. To my great dismay, Ver 4 doesn't work like Ver 3. On Ver 3 I could resume the download and it would pick up where it left off. Ver 4? That blasted thing starts downloading the file from the beginning. I can't tell you how much time has been wasted.

Given that we will soon be limited on redownloading, my solution -- if the album stops downloading or the File not available message shows up, I go to My Account, turn off the DLMangler (such an appropriate name), go to my downloads and download tracks, one at a time. This works just fine, but does mean that I have to return to the computer on a regular basis to get the next track.

So, like you, I am thoroughly disgusted with this crappy piece of software. I do miss my Ver. 3, which worked beautifully.

Okay, venting done. I am trying to stay in a positive frame of mind and I avoid most of the stuff on eMu boards.
  • Hi Mommio and Katrina

Its great to see you ladies as well. I have been lurking here since the very beginning but I only recently signed up.
  • edited July 2009
    Message deleted
  • Is it wrong to hate sombitches you have never actually met face to face?
  • Sounds like they have pulled your chain!
  • I mean how complicated can it be.

You are in the business of selling downloads, it seems pretty simple that you would need to provide an easy way to download the one elfin thing that you have to make money on.

Or is it me
  • It's not just you. Lots of people are complaining about not being able to download. Especially those on Macs who upgraded to Snow Leopard. As for me, so far the DLMangler is still working. Can't check out your sample right now -- have an album downloading, and it will stop if I do anything too download intensive.
  • The free daily download has been crapping out on me too. But since the download mangler is producing crap of a higher order I guess it don't really matter.

Phase 1 raise prices and piss off customers
    Phase 2 blow up the site every six months and piss off customers
    Phase 3 ???