Let's talk Video Games!

edited March 2010 in Diversions
As some of you know, I bought a new TV last December. It was a packaged deal, so I found myself the owner of a Playstation 3. A few weeks later, I spent most of the night playing Wii at my brother's house during Christmas. We had to have one, so I picked one up at Best Buy.

Last month, I was getting all nostalgic for a few games I had played several years ago. It turns out they were only available on PC and Xbox. As I'm trying to cut down the time I spend hunched over a computer and squinting at a screen, I checked eBay and low and behold, the xBox versions of games were going for a couple of bucks each and an old (original) Xbox for about $30 for a good condition unit with extra controllers and a bunch of games. I jumped on the opportunity. Last week, a co-worker wanted to get rid of his Playstation 2 and a bunch of games, since he never plays it, and I got it for next to nothing.

So, after not buying a gaming system for almost 15 years, I'm now the owner of 4 (7 if you count my Sega Genesis, PC, and Playstation 1).

So I'll looking for the most awesome games ever - any platform. Anyone have any faves?

Comments

• Unfortunately 2 of the greatest games ever are for a system you don't have - N64. I am, of course, talking about GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. However I have recently discovered that there are mods for CounterStrike: Source intended to mimic those games. I'll be checking them out when I have the chance.

If you don't care about eating, sleeping or bathing, you can get yourself wrapped up in one of the Civilization games. I was lucky enough to come down with the flu shortly after getting a cheap copy of Civ 4 and spent most waking hours belittling foreigners.

Also a big fan of the GTA series. Amazingly fun gameplay.
  • thom, I'm looking forward to the Xbox Live release of Perfect Dark. Don't know if you have a 360, but that's going to be HUGE! :D
  • Holy carp! Did not know about that. I've debated about picking up a 360 on the cheap - if only there was some way to hide it from The Woman...
  • Lord, thom -- women say the same thing about "fun" purchases. Thankfully, I have reached the age where I just tell him, "I'm going to buy . . ." and he rarely says anything. He has his fun money, too, and if he wants to buy it, no problem. Buy that darned 360 and if you have to, hide it! Life is too short. Gotta pack in the fun when you can.
  • My absolute faves - Half-Life, Half Life 2, etc, etc, - there's something called the Orange Box that has like 5 games bundled, that I think is available for the PS3.
    For PS2 there was a semi-sleeper called Deus X that was great because you could do/accomplish things in a great variety of ways - stealth or waste everybody, that kind of thing.
    For XBox it never got better than Halo for me - one of the best ever, and Halo 2. I own Halo 3 even though I haven't actually sprung for the XBox 360 yet - Who's got time? But it's on the to do list. If my addled brain cells think of any other favorites I'll post again. Of course the GTA series would qualify as a guilty pleasure, even though I haven't gotten much beyond Miami. The PS2 version of GTA 1 let's you get away with random acts of mayhem more than the XBox version - they don't negatively affect your "street cred".
  • dude!!!

don't you know you are risking it all???

you must be mad!!!

elwoodicious doesn't need a reason to take you out - no matter how much rayray offers him.

do not go online ever again. if you are online and reading this, start praying.

if you don't believe in prayer, then begin evasive action. any snowfort the local 10 year-olds have constructed is ideal for him to suit up as sniper extraordinaire! avoid life-size cardboard cut-outs in the grocery store. when changing oil at the lubeestop, flee if it takes inordinately long to complete. ask your wife and kids arcane family history just to make sure. if the doorbell rings, don't answer it. walk backwards in the snow! if you have a satellite dish on your roof, tear it off and put it on your neighbor's house.

for the love of man! RUNNNNNNNNNNN!
  • edited March 2010
    I've been starting to pick up xBox games on eBay because they're dirt cheap - buy a big lot and they end up down around a dollar a game plus shipping (bought a second xBox and 20+ games for about $50 - I plan to system link some of the games).

PS2 games are still pricier, probably because most people with PS2s aren't dumping them like the old xBox because the current PS3s don't play PS2 games.

Civilization - I've tried stay away from games like this because I know what from the early Sim City games how these can get to be an obsession. I'm limiting myself to about 1 hr a day, with exception of Monday (which I have off, as I work 4 day weeks) when I can play as much as I want, providing I have all my other obligations taken care of.

I did get Halo, Halo 2, Half Life 2, a couple of the GTA installments, one of the Deus Ex games, and more Madden football games than you can shake a stick at. I also picked up the Metroid trilogy on Wii after seeing that it got game of the year from several gaming sites.

My current Favorite is Dead Space (yes, that's a mutant baby that latches itself to your head and then gets dropkicked). Great game to play on the big screen with the lights out.
  • Ooh, Return To Castle Wolfenstein for XBox - how can it get better than killing Nazis and zombies? I think there is a new game but as I said I haven't hit the next-generation console yet.
  • I just won a copy of Wolfenstein on eBay a couple of days ago for about $3, but haven't played it yet. I agree, there is nothing as satisfying as killing Nazis and Zombies after a long day at work...
  • On the Xbox my two favs were Knights of The Old Republic 1 & 2 followed by a close second with Jade Empire, third taken by Fable, placing fourth is Morrowind, and rounding out fifth is GTA but I only played that sandbox style with cheats. You can see the obvious trend here: I have zero twitch reflexes.
  • We're currently rocking hard on Modern Warfare 2 on the 360. Should be available for the PS3. Great gameplay and graphics, and loads of fun online deathmatch style. Assassins Creed 1 & 2 are also really good and very well done.
  • Knights of the Old Republic....Fable.... what a coincidence, this just came in the mail yesterday.

There goes my weekend
  • I also remembered, Deus Ex ruled a solid portion of my time. Get it. Fan-fuckin-tastic game.
  • I actually got Deus Ex last week.

I won several auctions on some large lots last week, and ended up getting around 100 xBox games in total for not much over a $1 a piece including shipping. I'm not sure what I'll do with 3 copies of Halo 2 or Madden 2005, but they are both good games.

I just spent a good ten hours over the last week playing Doom 3. I love game that scare th shit out of me...
  • If you like the spooky factor give Silent Hill a try, the wife and I played that with the lights off and late at night. Good times.
  • I don't have a console but I play a lot of World of Warcraft. ;-)
  • Have you seen the South Park episode of WOW? It's pretty awesome.
  • Ha yes, not a fan of the series in general but I definitely chased that one up.

Also a Mac person, I actually liked that not many games were available on it because I knew if I had many options I'd get sucked right into the vortex. With the news today that Steam is coming to Mac I can see my future leisure time ebbing away ... away ....away .... away .....
  • Silent Hill

Too funny, that game scared the crap out of hubby. He'd rented it to see if he wanted to buy it. Unfortunately it gave him thrashing nightmares for about a week.
  • Been playing Left 4 dead all weekend. Great game if you like a zombie slaughterfest.
  • and Left 4 dead 1 and 2 made it to the mac a few months ago. Good times, though playing the sequel which has so many more weapons and smarter AI, means that first game is just a little disappointing.
  • If any of you use Steam for games, they're doing their big summer sale. New deals everyday - a lot of times they do 75% and up off.