Sub Pop!?!

edited March 2010 in eMusic New Releases
17dots Link

Based on the use of the phrases "wack slacks" and "cob knobbler" I'm thinking he is referring to grunge. Grunge = Sub Pop.

Craig

Comments

• Hmm. It's a PA road sign. 316, I'm assuming, means this Tuesday. Would have thought they would get a Washington one...
  • Craig, you must be right. After looking up those phrases it turns out that they were jokes coined by a sales rep for Sub Pop. Dammit, how much longer do I have to wait for a disloyalty bonus to come in?
  • gotta be. what titles/acts are you most interested in?

btw, very much hoping there's no 2-year hold. i want that new beach-house disc.
  • edited March 2010
    Beach House didn't interest me much, but I love everything I've heard off their latest - that would be a big plus. Anything from Low or Iron and Wine that I don't already have. I'd like to check out Dntel, CSS, The Shins, Rogue Wave, Handsome Furs, as well as the back catalog.
  • Where to begin...

Nirvana rarities
    Green River
    Mudhoney
    Afghan Whigs
    Sebadoh
    Sunny Day Real Estate
    Saint Etienne
    The Shins
    Iron & Wine
    The Thermals
    Wolf Parade
    Beach House
    Retribution Gospel Choir

That'll do for a start.

Craig
  • To get a start, they've got the world's awesomest sampler page.
  • I just informed my wife that Sub Pop was arriving on eMusic and she said...."I don't know what Sub Pop is."

froggie, I may need to crash on your couch for awhile.

Craig
  • Yikes, that sampler page looks like it would give you a virus from 1998.
  • I want: Damien Jurado, Rosie Thomas, Band of Horses, Low, and Ben Sollee and Daniel Martin Moore.
  • edited March 2010
    I tried listening on Lala to one of Sub Pop's most lauded releases: Afghan Whigs' Congregation. Provocative cover, provocative lyrics, but it mostly reminds me that -- Nirvana aside -- I really didn't enjoy grunge as music (I liked the snotty, rebellious attitude fine). Grim and tuneless. And it isn't as though I only like overly-polite indie rock like The Shins; I'm a fan of Husker Du, The Replacements, Comets On Fire, Nirvana, Sonic Youth, JAMC, MBV, No Age, and a bunch of other noise (or noisy) rock.
  • OTOH, I'm looking forward to Fastbacks and Zumpano.
  • edited March 2010
    I never really considered The Afghan Whigs grunge. Then again, over time I never understood what grunge was. But they always seemed too soulful and... arty to be grunge. Greg Dulli's vocals grab me like very few others can. I'd be curious to check out their first Sub Pop album as I've never seen it anywhere (I've got everything after it).

Looking at those lists has helped solidify the notion that Sub Pop coming to eMu was a far more "essential" to me a couple years ago. Since then I picked up a number of the discs (Band of Horses, Low, Fleet Foxes, Iron & Wine, etc) in that archaic format known as compact discs.
  • Earth! I'm very excited about getting some of those old Earth releases.
  • Well, Sub Pop has arrived. 278 disks.

Craig
  • edited March 2010
    - And 3 in Europe... So far.
  • No album pricing (at this time) which means you should grab Earth as soon as you can!

There's nothing from this year yet, which means no new Beach House...
  • edited March 2010
    Ben Sollee and Daniel Martin Moore's album is from this year.
  • So is Retribution Gospel Choir. The newest Iron & Wine isn't that old either.
  • My bad. It looks like they don't have any dates on the 2010 releases.

Supposedly the rest of the catalog will come eventually.
  • The Weakerthans. Great Canadian rock/punk band with excellent lyrics. I already have most of their albums though, so I can just spread the news.
  • Note: Joe says album pricing should be there, but there was a glitch. They expect it to be fixed tomorrow. So hold off on the 12+ np albums, but go get Earth 2 if you're into that sort of thing!

Craig
  • so tonight's the night to grab any full-length discs of less than 12 songs (since they'll be raised to 12 credits tomorrow).

aside from earth 2, what else falls into this category? this is a time-sensitive question, obv.
  • Retribution Gospel Choir (also named 2 oddly) is 10 nps at the moment. Not as good a deal as Earth, but still.

Craig
  • got it; thanks, craig. i see many albums at 11 credits (or double-albums at 23 credits), but that's a minor discount off the full price tomorrow. anyone see other steals available only tonight?
  • I haven't noticed any others yet, but I've noticed plenty that make me glad album pricing is on its way. Especially the two disk albums by Mudhoney and The Vaselines.

Craig
  • I'm assuming that 10 and 11 track albums aren't going to be bumped up to 12 nps automatically. It seems that their concern are things like Earth and Comets on Fire that have 9 or less tracks but have 10+ minute tracks on them.

Maybe that means I'll be mighty disappointed tomorrow, but that's my assumption (and I did take advantage of an offer I found so I could at least get Earth 2 cheaply).
  • AFCGT by AFCGT is 7 tracks with one being 4 seconds over 10 minutes.

Earth's Thrones and Dominions also has some 10 plus minute tracks.
  • just in case i bought a few booster packs and got a number of 8 -- 10 track albums tonight.
  • So far I've grabbed Earth's Earth 2, Comets on Fire's Blue Cathedral and Avatar, and Wolf Parade's At Mount Zoomer.

It looks like album pricing is now in effect, and so far I was right. It's the normal 10 minute track cutoff. Haven't noticed any 40+ minute 8 or 9 track albums that have been effected. Also, there have already been another 7 albums added today (including the Afghan Whigs' first).