Ubuweb Goodies

Comments

• edited June 2020
  • edited July 2020

Seven Souls is a 1989 album by New York based music group Material. A collaboration with author William S. Burroughs, the album features his narration of passages from his novel The Western Lands (1987) set to musical accompaniment.

The album was re-released in 1997 with bonus tracks, three re-mixes that were added to the beginning of the album. In 1998, a new title, The Road to the Western Lands, was issued, composed of new mixes of the tracks.

"Equation" / "Ineffect" was released as a single in 1989 (Virgin America, PR 3380).

- Fantastic album, BTW . . .
  • Thanks Brighternow for this , been looking for this album ages ago
  • edited July 2020
    Rammellzee (born in late 1960 in Far Rockway, Queens, New York, died on June 27, 2010) was a visual artist, graffiti writer, performance artist, hip hop musician, art theoretician, and sculptor from New York City.

He has stated that his name is derived from RAM plus M for Magnitude, Sigma (Σ) the first summation operator, first L - longitude, second L - latitude, Z - z-bar, Σ, Σ - summation.

• edited August 2020

"Connotations For Orchestra" commissioned for the opening of Lincoln Center.
    "Inscape" commissioned by the New York Philharmonic in celebration of its 125th Anniversary Year, 1967-1968.
    - Discogs
  • Read a review of this in the latest Wire
    Figured that you'd be interested.

• Thanks for the thought.
    I read that starting back in May
    and, actually, I'm in the middle of a
    Random Radio mix that uses selections
    from the "101 Things on Ubuweb..." list
    from that book. It's taking some months
    to finish the mix because I'm doing audio
    realizations of various kinds for the elements
    mentioned that are not themselves audio.
  • djhdjh
    edited August 2020
    rostasi said:
    Thanks for the thought.
    I read that starting back in May
    and, actually, I'm in the middle of a
    Random Radio mix that uses selections
    from the "101 Things on Ubuweb..." list
    from that book. It's taking some months
    to finish the mix because I'm doing audio
    realizations of various kinds for the elements
    mentioned that are not themselves audio.

I knew as soon as I mentioned it.... :p anyway that Aaron Copland - he was a barrel of laughs "Preamble for a Solemn Occasion" if you will.

Hmm I'll wait and see about your "audio Realizations" - intriguing!

Oh and the book isn' even published in the UK until September - and isn't on Kindle - (what a surprise!)
  • edited August 2020
    djh said:
    Read a review of this in the latest Wire
    Thanks, Where do I find it ?
    From the "serious weird shit" department:

• djh said:
    Read a review of this in the latest Wire
    Thanks, Where do I find it ?
    From the "serious weird shit" department:

You can pre-order the paperback allegedly for £19.89 from Amazon UK. 1/9/20 publication. You'd think it would be free on Ubuweb... I've just ordered it myself. A few days ago the only version available was the hardback at £79 and to be honest I'm not £79 interested!
  • Hi folks,

Yes, I put a direct link to the book not only in my latest Random Radio post,
    but at the Mixcloud site that the post sends you to. As a matter of fact, Kenny G was
    so delighted by the mix that he asked me if I would allow him to host it on Ubuweb.
    The reason that the book is not on Ubuweb yet is explained in the book.

A number of years ago, Lingua Press was offering complete collections of Gaburo's scores for a reasonable price, so I bought them all. It's a lot to go thru, but still fascinating stuff.
  • 61TzKXFZ5UL_AA300_jpg

This milestone of the avant-garde music, published in 1974 by the historic Opus One, was a very significant political awareness. With Coming Together and Attica, Frederic Rzewski celebrates in music the famous revolt of the American prison in 1971. The texts of Sam Melville and Richard X. Clark make pulsating and alive the invocations of the prisoners; full of pathos, these fragments of life oscillate between a confessional tone and the hymn to freedom, in a touching emblem of compassion. The fixity of the sound images is incisive, unnerving and melancholic, embroidering a solid minimalist repetition. The different combination of the verses produce a psychosis or obsession of a cathartic experience, at the same time emotional, physical and mental. Together with great guests such as Alvin Curran, Jon Gibson, Garrett List and Karl Beger, Rzewski seems to merge his radical vocation with the most meditative and suffered plots of the spiritual jazz; sealing all with Les Moutons Des Panurge, an amazing suite for percussion, a timeless masterpiece of polyrhythmic expertise. 
    - Just my words . . . ;)
  • edited September 2020

David Grubbs
    Two Soundtracks For Angela Bulloch
    David Grubbs (Bastro, Gastr Del Sol) has a longstanding history of collaboration and interest in contemporary visual arts. Many of his solo albums, for instance, feature covers by artists such as Doug Aitken, Marcel Broodthaers, Cosima von Bonin, Stephen Prina or Albert Oehlen. This mini-album features two compositions commissioned by Angela Bulloch for two of her installation pieces. . .

• httpsimgdiscogscom_W0S8T6zRDN5zEtryJYisuu9BOkfit-in537x473filtersstrip_iccformatjpegmode_rgbquality90discogs-imagesR-983751-1180656411jpegjpg
    - "Hermann Nitsch (born 29 August 1938) is an Austrian artist who works in experimental and multimedia modes.

1. Born in Vienna, Nitsch received training in painting during the time he studied at the Wiener Graphische Lehr-und Versuchanstalt. He is called an "actionist" or a performance artist. He is associated with the Vienna Actionists, and like them conceived his art outside traditional categories of genre. Nitsch's abstract splatter paintings, like his performance pieces, established a theme of controlled violence, using bright reds, maroons, and pale greys that communicate organic mutilation. In the 1950s, Nitsch conceived of the Orgien Mysterien Theater (which roughly translates as "Theatre of Orgies and Mysteries" or "The Orgiastic Mystery Theater"), staging nearly 100 performances between 1962 and 1998.

Nitsch's work, which can be considered both ritualistic and existential, first drew attention in the early 1960s when he exhibited a skinned and mutilated lamb. The lamb was crucified against a white fabric-covered wall, with the entrails removed and displayed below a white table, splashed with blood and hot water. This was accompanied by Nitsch's "Geräuschmusik". Nitsch's subsequent work has incorporated many similar elements, often combining slaughtered animals, red fruits, music, dancing, and active participants. Nitsch juxtaposed slaughtered animal intestines with quasi-religious icons such as staged crucifixions, satirizing and questioning the moral ethics of atavistic religion and sacrifice. Currently his work is often discussed in the context of our culture's fixation with violence seen on the news, movie screens, and in popular video games. Correlations have also been drawn to many instances of the intersection of violence and culture.3 These performance works, which have become known as "actions" have become more and more elaborate over the years. This highly elaborate work is exemplified by the 6-Day Play, which Nitsch considered to be his pinnacle piece.

In 1998, Nitsch staged his 100th performance (named the 6-Day Play after its length) which took place at his castle in Austria, Schloss Prinzendorf. In 2004, he held an abbreviated (2-day) version of the work.

By 1995 Nitsch had been so sufficiently embraced by the establishment, that the Vienna State Opera invited him to direct and design the sets and costumes for Jules Massenet's opera Hérodiade.

Nitsch continues to publish articles and release CDs.

In 2009 Nitsch was the central guest of the Incubate festival in Tilburg, Netherlands.

In May 2010 Nitsch held his 130th Action in Naples, Italy at the Museo Nitsch (Morra Foundation). A 12 hour long piece, this was Nitsch's first performance in Naples since 1996, and also first using the new museum facility dedicated to his work. The action proceeded from the museum, with a full procession through the streets, to the San Martino Vineyard overlooking the city and the Bay of Naples. The action coincided with the Nitsch/ Caravaggio show at the Pio Monte della Misericordia, where Caravaggio's Seven Works of Mercy is held.

On February 15th and 16th 2011, Nitsch held his first ever live painting action (60th Malaktion)in the United States at the Mike Weiss gallery in New York City."
      - Wikipedia

• Oh! Thanks for this! Big fan of detourned anything, especially comics.
    Joe Brainard’s “Nancy” work is a favorite.
  • edited December 2020
    ^^Welcome !^^

Mouth Almighty Records 1998
    Bob Holman - poems/voice, Hal Wilner - samples, needle-drops, Chris Spedding - guitar/bass, Wayne Kramer - guitar, bass, Bob Neuwirth - guitar/banjo, percussion, Brock Avery - drums, Ken Deifik - harmonica, Vito Ricci -sequencer, Tim Gennert - bass.Jenni Muidaur - voice... Bill Adler - sine qua non
    Bob Holman is an American poet and poetry activist, most closely identified with the oral tradition, the spoken word, and poetry slam. As a promoter of poetry in many media,Holman has spent the last four decades working variously as an author, editor, publisher, performer, emcee of live events, director of theatrical productions, producer of films and television programs, record label executive, university professor, and archivist. He was described by Henry Louis Gates Jr. in The New Yorker as "the postmodern promoter who has done more to bring poetry to cafes and bars than anyone since Ferlinghetti."
  • edited December 2020
    ^^Thanks, too bad it's missing track 9 - Cowboy Heaven, but thankfully in time for this next round of B's.
  • In memory of the late Harold Budd.
    - Released on Brian Eno's legendary Obscure Records in 1978:

An extended cycle of works begun in 1972. Bismillahi ´Rrahmani ´Rrahim from 1974
    Two Songs from 1973-74
    ""Let Us Go Into The House of the Lord" is a setting of a traditional hymn after a version by Pharoah Sanders.
    ""Butterfly Sunday" adapted from John Coltrane's "After The Rain"
    Madrigals Of The Rose Angel from 1972
    Juno from 1975 was composed for John Bergamo; her mortal symbol is the peacock.
    - May he rest in peace.
  • In memory of the late Harold Budd.
    - Released on Brian Eno's legendary Obscure Records in 1978:

An extended cycle of works begun in 1972. Bismillahi ´Rrahmani ´Rrahim from 1974
    Two Songs from 1973-74
    ""Let Us Go Into The House of the Lord" is a setting of a traditional hymn after a version by Pharoah Sanders.
    ""Butterfly Sunday" adapted from John Coltrane's "After The Rain"
    Madrigals Of The Rose Angel from 1972
    Juno from 1975 was composed for John Bergamo; her mortal symbol is the peacock.
    - May he rest in peace.

Sadly the very first time I've heard this - and I call myself a Marion Brown fan. Deeply wonderful. Thanks @Brighternow better late than never. RIP
  • edited December 2020
    Robert Ashley - That Morning Thing (1969)
    A live recording of the complete experimental opera, “That Morning Thing” by Robert Ashley, possibly from the Dec. 8, 1969 performance at Mills College. Composed in 1967 this was Ashley’s second foray into the realm of avant-garde musical theater, and is a work for five principal voices, eight dancers, women's chorus and tape. The mainstream media’s reaction, as well as that of some in the audience, was notably mixed, however rather than being a commentary on the ultimate quality of the work it seems to be more an indication of the audience’s unfamiliarity with Ashley’s trademark mix of electronic and prerecorded sounds with the more traditional elements of opera. Certainly for anybody interested in avant-garde theater in general or Robert Ashley specifically, this historic recording of one of his earliest and perhaps lesser known works should be of immense interest and value.

Images are from a 2011 restaging . . .
  • edited February 2021

• Triggered by and with thanks to @confused
  • ^^^ You're welcome.
    From his UbuWeb page...
    Erik Satie

1970       Francis PoulencJacques Février            1981              Ensemble Ars Nova
             - Musique Pour Piano À Quatre Mains                                - Selected Works

1982                   Pierre Laniau
                        - Pièces Pour Guitare 
  • I have that on a special wooden flash drive I got from them many years ago. Lots of fun stuff!
  • I checked before posting, considering it not unlikely that our pal @Brighternow would have picked up on this, somewhere along the line !