Using up those downloads

edited July 2009 in General
I figured it might be good to start listing albums on eMu that are a really good deal under the new messed-up pricing system, for those of us trying to use up our downloads in a way that we don't feel so cheated. I'd rather list them here, so the greedy bastards are less likely find them out and jack up the prices.

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Here's some more 'vintage jazz' if anyone cares:

The Very Best Of Tubby Hayes 43 Total Tracks, 152:26 Total Length - 12 "Credits"

The Ultimate Live Experience by Tubby Hayes 27 Total Tracks, 143:37 Total Length - 12 "Credits"

Interesting that THEY are selling "downloads" which implies 1:1, but you end up using "Credits" which have no set value at all...
  • edited July 2009
    I'm trying to avoid Sony, but The Klezmer King has caught my eye. 25 tracks for 12 "credits".
  • edited July 2009
    Oldies but Goodies Novelty Hits - 60 tracks 12 credits.

Sounds cheesy, but in fact contains a lot of big novelty hits of the 40s and 50s - Fats Waller, Rosemary Clooney, Mills Brothers, Dean Martin, etc.
  • Haha, you forgot to format as BBCode!

That cover is a bit of a turn off, but it does include Groucho Marx singing "Lydia The Tattooed Lady"!
  • Well there is always early Mountain Goats like this one [url=http://www.emusic.com/album/The-Mountain-Goats-Ghana-MP3-Download/11091374.html]here.[/url] Noticed I had missed 2 tracks in my piecemeal downloading and was able to download the last two tracks for free.
  • Mine are non-Sony because I can't even see those, but some existing labels have pegged longer albums at 12 credits.

ie JSP Records. So these long Carter Family records only 12 credits for more than 20 tracks
    http://www.emusic.com/album/The-Carter-Family-The-Carter-Family-1927-1934-Disc-C-MP3-Download/11093048.html

Body & Soul, lots of absolutely delicious 50s R&B
    http://www.emusic.com/album/Little-Esther-Phillips-1952-1953-MP3-Download/11268974.html

Document, old blues
    http://www.emusic.com/album/Various-Artists-Document-Records-Female-Blues-1921-1928-MP3-Download/10887930.html
  • About a week ago, when I first heard about the upcoming album-only pricing scheme I could already see the writing on the wall. In spite of their lame assurances about "selected albums only" and only for those labels that ask for it, I figure that eMu will be systematically slamming that door on literally every album whether the labels truly ask for it or not. eMusic has already proven themselves to be outright liars and I don't trust anything they say anymore. If it's not capped today, it's only because they haven't gotten around to it yet...

Be that as it may, I've been spending all of this month's d/l's (and a chunk of last month's) on plundering the site of all the 1, 2 & 3 track albums in my lists. I was especially lucky to have started with Steve Roach's catalog earlier this week because as of yesterday they all switched over to the 12-credit caps. As of today, all of the William Basinski titles are still at the old per-track rate. I don't expect that to last long, though.

Also, the entire DiN catalog is still at per-track. Again, I expect it won't be for much longer so get it while you can.
  • For those interested in the Sony Soundtrack for a Century collection:

Broadway: The Great Original Cast Recordings

Folk, Gospel & Blues: Will The Circle Be Unbroken

International Music: Sony Music Around the World

Jazz: The Definitive Performances

Movie Music: The Definitive Performances

Pop Music: The Early Years 1890-1950

Pop Music: The Golden Era 1951-1975

Pop Music: The Modern Era 1976-1999

R&B: From Doo-Wop To Hip-Hop

Rock: Train Kept a Rollin'

Sony Classical - Great Performances: 1903-1998

Most of these are about 40-50 tracks for 24 "credits". The ones without links have not been seen on eMusic yet.
  • edited July 2009
    @NankerP, I really wish we had Body & Soul in the US. I opened up a UK account with several booster crack cards and got a bunch of their stuff.

Anyway, Goldenlane/Stardust/Master Classics have some that are real values, though you will have to wade through a bunch of re-recorded tracks among the gems. For instance:

60s Garage Nuggets (118 for 24)
    The Shangri-Las & The '60s Girl Group Garage Sound (70 for 12)
    60s Surf Classics (101 for 24)
    Legendary Jazz Drummers (63 for 12)
    Roots of the Cramps (not my find, awesome tho 56 for 12)
    The Flying Saucer and Sci-Fi 50s Rock n Roll (30 for 12)

and so on...

There's lots of single artists stuff too. Quality may be all over the map, but you can't argue with the prices.
  • Just saw that all the Fantasy labels have gone to album pricing ie 5 tracks for 12 credits. Wow. Sigh. etc.
  • If you're looking for value in album pricing (many many tracks for 12 or 24 credits) there's a couple of great titles that are going to be the soundtrack to my next party...

There's a fabulous two-disc set of cocktail lounge music from the Great One and his conductor, Bobby Hackett, that is great value. One hundred and two tracks for only 24 credits.

There's also a terrific collection of music from Esquivel that includes both originals and remixes - 28 tracks worth of loungy goodness in Living Stereo for only 12 creds.

It's gonna be a great party, with refreshments to be served exclusively from the Atomic Cocktails recipe book. Specialty of the night will be:

The Moonshot

"...ascend skyward on the ethereal vapors of this three-ring cocktail, carefully layered so that each spirit stays in its own stratum."

1/2 oz Kahlua
    1/2 oz Rumple Minze
    1/2 oz Bourbon

1) pour the Kahlua into a shot glass.
    2) to create the next layer, invert a teaspoon and place it above the Kahlua, tip-end angled slightly down and just touching the side of the glass. Slowly pour the Rumple Minze over the back of the spoon so that the liqueur floats on top of the Kahlua.
    3) repeat the same procedure to create the third layer with the bourbon.

"Toss back in a single firing and expect an exquisitely prolonged flight. One small sip for man, one giant blast for mankind."
  • That does sound like a fab party, and I really like that Esquivel album. Pity I just used my last (ever?) credits.
  • Fantasy/Speciality is capping albums. Lots of great R&B, blues and so on. Listening right now to Professor Longhair on the Creole Kings of New Orleans.

I highly recommend the Sam Cooke gospel on that label. I assume 12 credits but as I downloaded it ages ago I can't see how many it costs.)
  • Most of these might not be classified as 'great' deals, but they're all still going for the per track rate and there are a few 4 & 5 track albums in there, as well. Everthing from spacey synth stuff to krautrock to "world" to opera, including a number of soundtracks for Werner Herzog films. Good stuff.

21 Popol Vuh albums

and just in case anyone needs a another reminder

15 William Basinski albums

those are steals of course.
  • Thank you, eclectricity, for reminding me of the other artist I've been meaning to plunder before they get capped... there's been a quite a bit of Popul Vuh on my SFL for some time now but there's always been something else to distract me from finishing it off. They're going to the top of my list now.
  • Just noticed another really great label that appears to still be uncapped: Hearts of Space. Highly recommended for great sounds, not just great value per download...
  • edited July 2009
    Novus Magnificat: Through the Stargate by Constance Demby - A New Age classic for only two downloads.
  • The Goodman is essential. It also brings something to mind that I wonder if the Sony situation won't change, at least for US users. The reason there's now three or four versions of that concert is that in the EU it's public domain. The Sony is the official version, but the others are equally legal in Europe. However, they shouldn't be available to users in the US, but they are. There's a bunch more examples like that where EU public domain stuff is accessible on the US site. Since it's mostly jazz stuff that the majors don't really give a rat's ass about, maybe it will stay, but I wouldn't be shocked to see it go either.
  • edited July 2009
    This collection of Desi Arnaz tunes is a party looking for an excuse to happen. Fortunately, rum cocktails is all the excuse it really needs. Skewered fruit in the drinks are optional but the paper umbrellas are NOT.

20 cuts fer 12 cred.
  • Naxos Carol Collection - 50 tracks 164 minutes - 12 credits. Just in time for Christmas!
  • The store I work at got Christmas lights delivered today. We were all freaking. You freak poster!
  • Robyn Hitchcock and Nick Lowe, good suggestions. Too bad I downloaded most of their longer albums, though it was mostly with last year's CC crack.
  • Jelly Roll Morton - Mr Jelly Lord -50 tracks - 151 minutes - 12 credits

Jazz Guitar Legends -57 tracks - 189 minutes - 12 credits

Churchill's Speeches -57 tracks - 700 minutes - 12 credits

Destroy All Monsters 1974-76 -76 tracks - 206 minutes - 12 credits

Best Bhajan Collection -83 tracks - 638 minutes - 12 credits. Looks Cheesy, but is actually all big name Indian Artists.

Archive Of American Popular Music 1895-1927 -100 tracks - 299 minutes - 12 credits

Sounds of North American Frogs -92 tracks - 53 minutes - 12 credits

Piano Classics (Beethoven's Complete Sonatas -102 tracks - 657 minutes - 12 credits. No idea who the pianist is.
  • ZOMG!!!!!111!!!111!!!

If you have ANY interest in Prog Rock whatsoever you absolutely NEED to download this Best Of... from Dutch rockers KAYAK.

Not only is it a great value at 12 creds for 19 songs, it is an awesome collection of songs from one of the most criminally under-appreciated bands of the 70's/80's.

Well, at least wholly under-appreciated here in the States.

I have been waiting a lonnnng time for their catalog to be re-released on CD so to have them suddenly show up as downloads is effin' awesome.

Get it now!
  • edited July 2009
    If you have any interest in jazz guitar the godfather just dropped in - Charlie Christian box set, 4 discs (23-26 tracks per), 48 credits, The Genius of the Electric Guitar. I bought this when it came out some years ago. Admittedly it is more Charlie Christian than anyone but guitar freaks and swing lovers needs, but you could get a great sampling from here of the reasons he is considered so vital to the history of the electric guitar.
  • The soundscans on that Charlie Christian sounds great! I'll download it. Thanks for pointing it out.
  • The Charlie Christian stuff is a great find. Thanks!