Second Rhino Drop on eMusic -- Tomorrow?

edited April 2010 in General
It's coming sometime in April or May, and this afternoon, a message buried in a 17 Dots post said that today's modest slate of new releases should be "enough to tide you over until a special haul tomorrow."

Assuming that's the next wave of Rhino recordings, what are you hoping to see? For me, Wish List Item No. 1: PRINCE.

Others? One problem for me is that it's hard to tell, from Rhino's website, what discs are Rhino reissues and what discs are from other labels and merely being sold at the Rhino site (I assume we'll get only discs from the former category). If this all lands tomorrow, I'd be greatly appreciative if you would link here to the cream of the crop.

Comments

• I would like to see the Modern Lovers - I think that's on Rhino.
  • I heard it's going to be a bunch of lost Doors albums...
  • lol. don't kill my buzz, thom.
  • I was trying to set you up for an easy comeback - like, "Shouldn't they all be lost?"
  • Well, it would be if I didn't have 'em all already. That How The West Was Won set is pretty great, though.
  • edited April 2010
    Well, yeah...not for most of us, but for the average person, who only owns a 100 or so albums.

I think I've bought the Led Zeppelin oeuvre 5 times over the last 35 years - first on cassette, second on LP (some of them 2-3 times, since they got played over 100 times in some cases), third on CD, forth on the Remastered CD Box sets, and fifth when I bought the complete works on Rhapsody when they had all those boxed sets miss priced $10.

There's very few artists whose work holds up as well, in my opinion.
  • I had most of the LPs, then a few of the CDs, bought the remastered CD boxes and the complete works on Rhapsody.
    There's very few artists whose work holds up as well, in my opinion.

No argument from me.
  • >first on cassette, second on LP

I had an 8-track of the first and fourth albums, vinyl for the others. Wore the grooves of Physical Graffiti and the Third album. Plus the record jackets were fun to play with. Had the CD's and the Complete Box, the two box sets and the rest. Still have a Japanese SRTS. Oddly, my iPod has the complete "mothership" release that was $10 on Rhapsody.

Then there are the bootlegs....
  • i've got mothership, but nothing else. anything i really need to download beyond that?
  • If you ask most fans of Zep, they will tell you that the first 6 albums (I-IV, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti) are absolutely essential.

All but III made the Rolling Stone Top 500 list of all time, and out of those, all but Houses made the top 75 of all time.
  • I agree about the first six albums - Mothership is a nice selection but those albums have much more to offer. I also like The BBC Sessions and How The West Was Won, but would only get them after the studio albums - I remember seeing a review of The BBC Sessions that said if you thought Zep couldn't play live (based on the Song Remains The Same movie, for instance) this would change your mind - which it did. Regarding The Song Remains The Same movie it was playing on the tube once and it took me about 3 minutes after I tuned in to figure out that they were in the middle of Since I've Been Loving You, one of my favorite Zep songs, so the reviewer's point was well taken. It was a good thing to re-establish for myself - I never saw them live, but in the summer of 1969 they were playing at the Wollman Rink in Central Park (first U.S. tour?) and you could hear them clearly all the way on Fifth Avenue - and it sounded good.
    Get The Lemon Song from Zep II immeadiately - John Paul Jones rules.
  • edited April 2010
    Get The Lemon Song from Zep II immediately - John Paul Jones rules.

Absolutely true. One of my favorite walking bass lines ever. JPJ is the unsung hero of that band.

I'd also grab The Ocean. And if you want to hear Zep live, How the West Was Won kicks the shit out of The Song Remains the Same. The BBC Sessions is cool too -- one of the fun things is hearing them play Stairway to Heaven when it was a new song. The audience doesn't react at all when it starts.
  • i'm more torn on the cars' catalog. on the one hand, much of it is available at discount prices someplace or another (cut-out bins, digitally). on the other hand, i really dig some of the stuff, especially -- i half hate to admit -- heartbreak city.
  • I got the Zep box set back in college after having IV and Houses of the Holy separately as well as a couple others courtesy of my sisters' vinyl. Although I never got into Presence or Coda, I couldn't imagine not having all of the other albums. After thinking that IV was the end-all-be-all of Zep, I was amazed at just how incredible the first 3 albums were.

And yes, the BBC Sessions are great. Also look for the 2 disc live DVD put out a couple years ago. Hmm... time to go sort some boots.
  • edited April 2010
    All this Zep talk made me pull out and start listening to the complete set that Rhapsody was selling for $10 a year and a half ago. What a great set! It includes:

Led Zeppelin I
    Led Zeppelin II
    Led Zeppelin III
    Led Zeppelin IV
    Houses of the Holy
    Physical Graffiti
    Presence
    The Song Remains the Same
    In Through the Out Door
    Coda
    Hey Hey What Can I Do & White Summer/Black Mountain Side (non-album tracks)
    How the West Was Won
    BBC Sessions
    Mothership
  • Yes, the completist in me thinks that was $10 well spent, even though I had all of it already (except for Mothership) between the two remastered box sets, CDs of BBC Sessions and How the West Was Won, and TSRTS on vinyl.

That Rhapsody haul was fairly amazing. Who can forget The Art Tatum Complete Solo Masterpieces, 125 tracks for 99 cents?