Paste Magazine, RIP

edited September 2010 in General
According to a semi-reliable source (ok, it's the Gawker), Paste Magazine is dead. I consider this a great loss. As a charter subscriber to Paste I have always enjoyed the reviews and learned about a lot of great music from the samplers. No Depression and Paste are now history, I hope we are not stuck with the Rolling Stone for music news.

I do think that the days of print-magazines are numbered. Online startups like Down the Line might fill the gap, but I learn far more about new music from semi-social networks like Last.FM and emusers.org these days that print mags. But I cannot take emusuer.org to the bathroom with me.....

Comments

• You can if you have a laptop! Just don't read it in the bath. That could end poorly.

Rolling Stone and SPIN. Sigh.

Craig
  • In my house the spot with the best signal is the porcelain throne. All 3 of my bathrooms provide seating within 10' of the router. In the main bath you're practically sitting on it. I didn't locate the router with bathroom access in mind, but it worked out pretty convenient.
  • That sucks. About Paste, not about people with bad wireless signals on the crapper.

I used to subscribe and really enjoyed the magazine and the sampler. Never understood why people complained about them expanding to include movies, books, etc. - although I didn't like when they started using that 100 point rating scale. I had wanted to resubscribe for a while, but knew I just didn't have the time to read it these days.

Also, I got burned when DIW stopped printing like 2 issues after I subscribed.
  • I let my paste subscription lapse some time back, and figure I was "taken" a bit with their DVD (I only got two, paid for four). I also donated to the "save paste" campaign, which got them through last summer. I miss the CD samplers, the download just isn't the same.

>In my house the spot with the best signal is the porcelain throne.

That's fine if you have a lap when you sit down.....
  • Aw, that's too bad about Paste. I really liked their sampler CDs.
  • This reminds me, it's about time those dozens of old CMJs, Pastes, etc. finally find their way to the recycling bin.
  • Wow, i hope this isn't true. I've been a Paste subscriber for a few years after getting tired of Rolling Stone only reviewing mostly top 40 stuff and only female artists that looked good naked. I know they had some fundrasiers in the last year to try to hang on. I found another mag called Under the Radar that may fill that gap, though I couldn't their sampler to download.
  • This reminds me, it's about time those dozens of old CMJs, Pastes, etc. finally find their way to the recycling bin.

Sadly, I think I already got rid of mine. Now I want them back! I could use them to paper my garage walls!
  • I've been skimming them before tossing them and now have a little bit of regret not saving some pages. Back in college I covered my dorm room ceiling with photos, ads, flyers, etc. and a lot of it came from CMJ (although the full version, not the smaller New Music Monthly).