Jazz Solos in Pop Songs

edited October 2010 in Jazz
I knew that Freddie Hubbard played the trumpet solo in Billy Joel's "Zanzibar". And it is a killer.

But just found out that Phil Woods is responsible for the silky (or over-the-top, take your pick) sax work in "Just the Way You Are.".

Which led me to the knowledge that Woods also soloed on Steely Dan's "Dr. Wu," for which I cannot find a suitable video. But it's a great song.

Listening to "Zanzibar" for the first time in possibly decades, I was struck by the lyric, "Rose, he knows he's such a credit to the game / But the Yankees grab the headlines every time." Those were the days back in 1978, when Pete Rose actually was a credit to the game!

Comments

• Sonny Rollins/Rolling Stones "Waiting On a Friend"
    Wayne Shorter/Steely Dan "Aja" (The Dan could be a topic unto their self)
    Don Cherry/Lou Reed "The Bells" (album) Don't know if you'd consider that pop...
  • edited October 2010
    There are lots of these.

Sonny Rollins did the solo in the Stones' "Waiting on a Friend." [edit: CaptainWrong beat me to it]

And he's not jazz, but I just found out recently that Junior Walker did the sax solo in Foreigner's "Urgent." I've heard that song a million times over the years but never knew the sax player was Junior Walker.
  • edited October 2010
    Woods also did the bop solo tag at the end of Paul Simon's "Have a Good Time" in 1975. Oh, and Michael Brecker on that same album's title track "Still Crazy After All These Years".
  • edited October 2010
    Frank London played on numerous cuts for They Might Be Giants, including "Birdhouse in your Soul."

Hugh Masakela on "So You Wanna Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star."