Books About...

edited November 2010 in Diversions
Walking down a sunny street to the library
Checking out the latest books about [rock and roll]
Going to the fruit stand to buy a dozen oranges
and the books and the oranges go back to [my] place

tell the same old story to everyone that know
[I'm] just sitting in [my] room reading books about [rock and roll].

It's the time of year when I start looking for winter reading material, and I always love reading a good book about music. Be it a biography, history of a genre, a memoir, or what have you, I'm looking to read it. So who has some good recommendations for me?

NOTE: They can be about any genre, I just used 'rock and roll' above because it worked pretty well as a lyric replacement.

Craig

Comments

• Keef's autobiography has been a hoot so far.
  • With him I'm not sure how it couldn't be!

Craig
  • These are not exactly new but, in case you haven't read them already, two of my favorites are A Cure For Gravity (Joe Jackson autobiography - realy well written) and Space Is The Place (biography of Sun Ra by John Szwed). You could then spend the rest of the winter listening to Sun Ra recordings and probably never have to listen to the same disc twice!
  • I just got Keith's autobiography but haven't started it yet. Recently read and really enjoyed "Fargo Rock City" by Chuck Klosterman. 80s hair metal wouldn't seem to be a genre ripe for critical analysis, but the book was very entertaining.
  • I keep meaning to check out Klosterman's "Fargo". He's always an enjoyable read.

As for a biography of Sun Ra, that may go to the top of the list. Such a fascinating dude.

Craig
  • I saw Sun Ra once at the Bandshell in Central Park, and between him and the whole orchestra they were without a doubt the most interesting ensemble I ever laid eyes on. Very entertaining.
  • Real old stuff, but have you read Crue's biography, the Miles Davis Autobiography and the Michael Azerrad books?

Other suggestions:

"Pops: A Life of Louis Armstrong",
    "Thelonious Monk: The Life and Times of an American Original",
    "Moanin' at Midnight: The Life and Times of Howlin' Wolf.
    Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles (one of their two primary recording engineers - lot's of inside stories. Every Half-Price Books in the Cities has a few copies)

(I'd be surprised if you haven't read Our Band Could Be Your Life, since it features a lot of our 80s favorites, including the Mats and the Huskers)
  • I have read "Our Band Could Be Your Life". Great read. In fact I've been thinking of buying a copy since I read a library book. I actually haven't read Azerrad's Nirvana biography (which is ridiculous since it's an author I like writing about a band I love), but it's already on my Christmas list. As is Rob Sheffield's "Talking to Girls About Duran Duran". I really enjoyed his "Love is a Mixtape" even though it was seriously depressing.

I'll have to look in to the others. Thanks!

Craig
  • edited November 2010
    "Rip It Up and Start Again: Postpunk 1978-1984" by Simon Reynolds.
  • Thanks pzeke! That book looks right up my alley, but I hadn't heard of it before. Definitely on the list.

Craig
  • Craig, is there a book about the 80's Twin Cities scene? I assume since you quoted "Books About UFOs" (my favorite Huskers song) that you're a fan.
  • pzeke - I am indeed a fan. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any good books that focus on the Twin Cities scene. Jim Walsh's The Replacements: All Over But the Shouting: An Oral History (yes there are not one, but TWO colons in that title) touches on it some, but it's just tangential. Same is true of the chapters on The Mats and Husker in Our Band Could Be Your Life.

There really, really should be a good book about it if there isn't one I'm missing.

Craig
  • Jim Walsh's The Replacements: All Over But the Shouting: An Oral History (yes there are not one, but TWO colons in that title)
    That title needs a colonic.
  • Not to go off-topic, but I've always considered Paul Westerberg to be his (my) generation's Greatest Tragedy. Listen to Let It Be or Tim (yes, even with its godawful production) and you hear a talent so perfectly pitched that it seems effortless; even the throwaways are anthems. The tragedy isn't that he never made anything more than just halfway decent ever again; the tragedy is that he couldn't even sell out and cash in properly...I think it was James Hetfield who called Nevermind a good Replacements record (after all, it was a Replacements song title)...sigh...
  • Agree with your comments on Paul W pzeke. The Jim Walsh book on the 'Mats kind of confirms how they (deliberately, in many cases) seemed to screw up any opportunity to help their career. But that's partially why we love them, no?

(Do you like how I brought you back on topic, with the book tie in? And now, the weather...)
  • pzeke, do we know you from eMusic under another login? It doesn't matter, except that I want to welcome you to emusers!

I have a book about Bruce Springsteen that is going to go overdue tomorrow. Yikes. I better get reading.
  • Second thought, yeah it does matter. I WANT a good dang story about how it was, you ended up posting here.
    Please?
  • Katrina: I was found on the eMusers doorstep in a bassinet with a note attached, "don't mind the smell; he's almost housebroken"...no, you don't know me; I've never posted before. I was an eMusic member from 2005-2010 and would read the message boards for recs (and, must confess, the occassional troll-bash), which is how I found out about this place, and...just decided to say hello. Craig started this thread with a quote from one of my favorite songs, so...

...back to topic: Craig, if you're still reading this: no one's mentioned any of the 1st generation rockcrit gods, so I will: Lester Bangs, of course; Greil Marcus (I've tried to read Lipstick Traces for 20 years and someday I will succeed), and my favorite, Robert Christgau: the passing of his monthly Consumer Guide is a loss I mourn dearly.
  • Rudie: Read the Amazon teaser for Walsh's book, which is probably as far as I'm going to get. Don't know if they deliberately sabatoged their career; for me, they just stopped making interesting records. Same with Westerberg's solo career, although I confess I haven't listened to anything since 1999's whatever-it-was-called. Anyway, I prefer the Huskers.
  • pzeke - I haven't read much Bangs, Marcus, or Christgau, but have read some. I especially need to read more Christgau.

Rudie - No such thing as off topic when it involves The Replacements.

Craig
  • Craig: I kinda threw those names out as I was typing last night. I started reading all three as a teenager in the late 1970's; of the three, Christgau is the only one I still read regularly. Two other names from that era deserve mention: Nick Tosches and Richard Meltzer.
  • edited November 2010
    Stealing from a post I made on a jazz board, here are some noteworthy books covering later-period jazz:

Ekkehard Jost - Free Jazz (a canonical book)
    George Lewis - A Power Stronger Than Itself (on the AACM)
    Graham Locke - Forces In Motion (Anthony Braxton, probably my favorite jazz book)
    Derek Bailey - Improvisation
    John Litweiler - The Freedom Principle (Jazz after 1958)
    Kevin Whitehead - New Dutch Swing
    John Szwed - Space Is the Place (Sun Ra)
  • I just finished Hacking Work. Really enjoyed it!
    419FuGAJtBL._SS500_.jpg
  • Katrina, how was the Springsteen book? Which one was it?

Craig, one last music book suggestion: England's Dreaming, by Jon Savage. And, as a companion piece, The Rotters' Club by Jonathan Coe--the scene where one of the teenage characters goes to see the Clash in 1976 is, to borrow a musical metaphor, perfect-pitch.
  • edited November 2010
    Erm...I was able to renew the Springsteen book, and it's not due for a while. I am a greedy wee piglet with library books, usually have about 20+ out at a time. I say wee, because my library has gone to a self-check system and I see folks taking up a whole row with their held books. Held DVDs. Held CDs.

Ole Bruce is further down the list, now. I'll post back when I've read it, and not just acquired it from the library.
    It is this one
    Runaway dream : Born to run and Bruce Springsteen's American vision / Masur, Louis P.

9781596916920.jpg

While I was at it, I found this one, too and have not yet read it, either.
    Meeting across the river : stories inspired by the haunting Bruce Springsteen song / Kaye, Jessica

My latest non-renewable book that I MUST read is one that deserves its own post, and I am not up to the task of doing it justice right now; it's that good. I had a job interview for my dream job today, and I am knackered. I shod my feet with pumps instead of the usual tennie runners, manicured my talons with "Commander In Chic" by Sally Hansen, dyed my hair, put on some thigh-highs, interrupted my usual web jackassery to research interview Q&A, the whole gamut.
    O baby, I looked good.

Yes, I have a 2nd interview. WIsh me luck!
  • Good luck, K! Would this be local, or would you need to make a move?

Craig
  • edited November 2010
    Amazingly, local! Thanks!

OK, for the other book that I almost peed my pants laughing at, it was so funny:

417s0zfteFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Let's get the bad out of the way first. Whoever edited this needs to find another line of work. I have not seen so many errors in one book before in my entire life. I felt like taking a red pen to it. Mistakes here on emusers, OK fine...we are not getting paid. Somebody presumabley got paid to edit/proofread this book. Maybe they were stoned like the main character.

So - overlooking that, there are bon mots and witticisms on every page.
    Unbeknownst to me, My husband started reading it this morning and almost took it with him on the plane. Which is a good thing he didn't - I was down to the last 2 chapters and would have been quite irked. He liked it enough that he begged me to request it again from the library, since I returned it without knowing he'd started reading it.

I started this one first

9781582342832.jpg
    Different authors write the backstory that goes to the Springsteen song (one I've always enjoyed). I've only read the first two, and they were both fantastic yet vastly different.

From Booklist
    The characters in these stories inspired by Bruce Springsteen's song about a promised land, "Meeting across the River," will never grasp or even fully comprehend such a place. For them, as in the song, the promised land remains elusive. The song, of course, leaves a lot of details to the imagination, which allows the contributors to this collection to fill in the blanks. All the song reveals is some small-time hoods, a "last chance" deal that is about to go down across a river, an unnamed narrator, a guy named Eddie, and a reward of "two grand." Will girlfriend Cherry stay? It appears doubtful. On so enigmatic a foundation, 20 diverse stories have been erected, most the work of already published, if not particularly well known, writers who have put their hearts into fleshing out tales of small-time losers, petty criminals, and other assorted misfits who dare to dream of a promised land. June Sawyers
  • Well, I opened up the paper today to read the Friday article about the local music scene, and what do I see? A picture of Husker Du. Apparently there is a book about them coming out this week (although Bob Mould "politely declined" to be interviewed for it), and Mould has an autobiography (written with Azerrad) coming out in June.

The Star Tribune writer who does the local music articles seemed to really like the book coming out this week (although he did question the fact that it doesn't deal with the issues of sexuality that were so important to the Huskers or with SST).

Craig
  • I don't think--and I will gladly admit that my memory after more than two decades is incredibly selective--that many of their fans knew or suspected at the time that either Bob and Grant were gay. If all you knew were the records, any lyrical clues were so carefully coded--or else so casually tossed--as to be easily missed. But maybe that only proves my own cluelessness.

I look forward to both books.
  • edited November 2010
    I never knew about the gayness. Did it matter to the music? Guess I'll have to read the book, I suspect my 9th grade teacher was gay but it didn't matter to her teaching me.
    ANYHOO, the 'Meeting Across the River' book is so far, excellent. One story is told from the point of Eddie, another from the point of Cherry, more from the point of I'm not going to tell you, read the book. So far, one story was set in Jersey, another in Wyoming, another in Detroit....you get my drift. These authors have vivid imaginations.