Universal Box Sets

edited November 2010 in General
Just sayin'. I don't have any credits to spend anyway.

Comments

• Just poking around the official Universal Music Group site, Labels page - there's a Verve subsection. If you click on the show Verve section of that, the new page has an Archive section which looks to be worth investigating - found a release I'm hunting down one way or another - Bola Sete at the Monterey Jazz Festival.
  • Verve page

Motown page! You would think eMu would be hitting the Motown stuff harder, maybe they're not getting it at all at first.

While poking around on this Impulse page, I started thinking about filling some gaps in my Pharoah Sanders collection, which led to discovering some good Pharoah bargains at CD Universe. They seem to be still gearing up their mp3 store, but have lots of stuff. They have a Java DLM that works fine.
  • That Amazon Verve page is bad news, man - a major road to temptation and debauchery. I got about 20 Verve releases during the 7digital $2 Xmas extravaganza last year, so I might just wait to see if any such madness is repeated this year before I start in on the upcoming drop - barring any unforeseen juicy bargains of course.
    I wish I had a few Guvera credits - they have that Bola Sete release I'm jonesing for which is $9.99 at Amazon with 3 Album only tracks, including the 17 minute opening track. This is the first time I'm actually tempted to buy something straight-up there at Guvera @ $1.59, but if eMu gets this album maybe the pricing will be better.
  • I noticed that the CD box set of John Coltrane's Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings is the same price as the mp3 version - $27.99.

Definitely worth picking up if you don't already have it.
  • edited November 2010
    same price as the mp3 version

This is definitely something to look out for at Amazon - I think it was the Chess boxes (Muddy, Wolf, etc.) I noticed this being the case the other day. Browsing off that Motown link above - left hand mid-page "Discover The Soundtracks To Your Life"- led to a lot of interesting stuff. I credit Amazon with having way better suggestions than eMu's Rec For You.

Edit: Scratch the comments about cheaper MP3 albums - those turned out to be Amazon mis-listings, where the CD and supposed MP3 release turned out to be different things once I got home to the desktop with Amazon downloader.

Conversely, found a couple of rockabilly comps I've DL'd at eMu for dirt cheap on CD: Whistlebait:25 Rockabilly Rave-ups for $7.58, and also Ain't I'm A Dog;25 More Rockabilly Rave-ups for $6.99. I consider both these thoroughly worthwhile but for a couple of more bucks I would have gone for the CD's if they'd been at this price back then when I DL'd them.

Ya know, I was a lot less of a danger to myself when I was hunting around Amie, and smoking crack cards over at eMu. Help.
  • edited November 2010
    The only fun thing about these major label drops have been the box sets at crazy prices (I am still crazy happy about the Emmylou Harris, Graham Nash, and Neil Young sets I got for 12 credits each), but the fun is gone for the UMG drop because I get anything I want for free from Guvera.
  • ...but the fun is gone for the UMG drop because I get anything I want for free from Guvera.

Sure, if you're willing to wait two months to finish an album. The Guvera bonanza in September was great, but the flow of credits has slowed to almost nothing these days. I can only imagine how long it would take to finish a box set over there. Unless they've got another special coming up, there's no reason to visit, and I certainly wouldn't hold off on getting a album somewhere else if I was waiting to get it at Guvera.