michael jackson. o rly?

edited July 2009 in General
this is an unusual phenomena.

go back to the mid-late 80s when he was selling hotcakes all the time...and then walk into a record store and you'd find an incredible amount of 2nd sale michael jackson records. i think elton john was his closest rival.

fast forward to today...where are all these recent sales of michael jackson mp3's going to end up?

Comments

• Start searching Craigslist for the latest collectible mp3's by MJ.
    How many copies of Thriller were made? 80 million?
    Someone on the Fort Hood list had it "make an offer"
  • I used to work at Half Price Books. Went back to my old store a couple days after the MJ story broke and they had a nice little display of all the Jackson related LPs they'd fished out of the $1 section and marked way up. I commented about this to one of my friends who still worked there and he told me they'd just sold a copy of Thriller that morning for $60! Unbelievable.
  • Holy crap, I should get my butt up there to 1/2 Price and cash in, too.
  • Micheal Jackson records are worth money right now, and it's the only time they'll ever be worth money. Unless of course you have something like a sealed original pressing of Thriller. At least with Mp3s you don't have to wait for a premium priced reissue just to own a copy of the album.
  • I was kidding - I'm pretty sure my copy is really scratched up.
  • edited July 2009
    Yah, I wasn't actually addressing your comment. I could have been more clear :)
    The thing is, they'd probably take it instead of saying... yah... we have a lot of those.

In town there's a ritual where the local record store brings out the dollar bin. They spin records and you can pay a dollar to let the song continue playing, or have the record removed so that you can smash it over a mic stand. They usually end up selling a surprising number of albums.
  • yuz meen nerrfud can haz money$ fer smshng hiz bissie???
  • Neriffid smash a BIS? Nevaire, au contraire!

You're absolutley right about the timing, though, Televiper.
  • I bought the 25th anniversary Thriller around Halloween last year on MP3 from iTunes. It seemed like a steal, the album plus Thriller music video for around $5. I had the cassette as a kid, but got rid of most of my cassettes a few years ago, though sadly my car still has it's factory tape deck.