Hyperactive competitive drive disorder (HCDD)

If you go to the member list and sort by the number of posts by clicking on "posts" twice I see that I am currently ranked 16th in number of posts.
My ego will not allow me to accept this and I will now have to engage in a campaign to take the number one position by creating and posting to numerous meaningless threads until you all recognize me as your true leader.

Curse you cafreema

Comments

• Dang. I need to post less.

Oops, now you have one more to make up, jUj!

Craig
  • I honest-to-god thought this thread was going to be about who had the biggest external hard drive.
  • Haha! I did, too!

Well...there are always lyrics out there, waiting to be posted. Just kidding. You go, JUJ!
  • I've missed you, JUJ! Bring it on. BUT . . . Doofy got the biggest laugh. So far.
  • Well I have missed you as well mommio

for some reason I am always motivated to behave a little better when you are in the room
  • In fact, I have just filled up a 150 G XHD. Have gone through and cleaned it up, which bought me 3 or 4 G, but just delaying the inevitable. I even have 2 bigger drives, but too lazy to make the switch. One thing I might try is LISTENING to music rather than ACQUIRING more, will let you know how that works out.
  • I'm on a "listening tour" myself - an unintended consequence of which has been my being so smitten with some material that I went and got more - but my intentions were good.
  • edited November 2010
    So what smite-eth thee?
  • Yes, tell us about the smoting, in all its glory.
  • edited November 2010
    Well, all right then, pilgrim. Just as background I became somewhat disenchanted with the direction of "popular" music by about 1974 and stopped buying new stuff and just sat at home listening to my records for about a decade - hence I wasn't really paying a lot of attention to some trends in the mid to later '70's. It took the '90's and the current decade to get me to rethink the idea that maybe some of the '70's music hadn't, in retrospect, sucked as much as I felt at the time.
    So anyway thanks to Guvera's little Sept. bonanza I acquired some selections from the UFO Official Bootleg Box - I have become a Michael Schenker fan - So I've been picking up some live EP's from his tenure, and bought Strangers In The Night, their live release from 1978, and some tracks from various studio albums.
    Would you believe Iron Maiden? Picked up a couple of things, one from Amie before it roach moteled, and have been supplementing to complement the Best Of The Beast I had on CD already to fill in the '80's albums. Metal without cookie monster vocals or dropped tuning sludge. Yeah, I missed out on the whole New British Heavy Metal thing at the time too.
    The motto of this story is that it's dangerous to go poking around Amazon too much - they were very helpful with discography (Wikipedia, too) and comparision shopping - when you decide you like something, you like it, you really like it. Tragic, no?
  • Yeah, I'm trying that "listening instead of acquiring" thing but I make the mistake of perusing "What are you listening to now" and the stuff seeps onto my hard drive. Then there's the legitimate search for material for my XMAS podcast, which tends bring in non-XMAS tracks when I find an artist I like.
  • OMG
    I don't even go into that listening now thread.
    iTunes tells me I like, a hundred years of unlistened music-bwah notreally
    Mutex you're the absolute person I Would figure NOT for a Xmas thing

SIGN ME UP
  • I am currently re-thinking how I organize my music in order to cut down on how overwhelming it seems. For one thing, I have way too many free tracks and samplers cluttering my library. Just searching for "sampler" comes up with 2500+ tracks - over 1 week of music. That needs to be separated from my main library. As well as all this free live stuff from NYC Taper and Daytrotter.

Over the last 2 days I went through everything I got this year to make sure proper artwork was in the directories. Way too much forgotten material already.
  • Forgotten because you have too much music for tracks to get heard periodically
    or forgotten because the material is forgettable?

Some free stuff was deleted shortly after download, before even being heard all the way through. I don't want the truly forgettable hogging space on my hard drive.
  • Mostly the former, but occasionally the latter. The Great Guvera Giveaway screwed up a lot of things - it'll take me a year before I finally work my way through all of those albums. But I also have a ton of free tracks that peak my interest, but then sit there because I never get around to listening to them again.

Those tracks need to be separated. It's one thing if it's from an artist I know and like, but simply don't have that particular full release. But I've got too many individual songs from bands I know nothing about - that makes it even harder to do smart lists.

One thing's for sure - this discussion is helping me ascend to 1000 posts!
  • Go, thom! This competitive male thing is fun -- and makes for some good reading.
  • I've relying a lot recently on my genre tags. That limits things down quite a bit, and then I can chose from a much smaller list. Of course I have 105 genres, and getting those set up was a bear, but it was worth it. One of those genres is actually 'Daytrotter' regardless of the actual genre of the music.

As for free tracks. I snag the freebies on Stereogum and Pitchfork almost daily. It works out well, because when I downloaded Gold Panda from LWS last week I already had two tracks, and when I later download How to Dress Well I'll already have, I believe, four of them. Sure I end up with lots of single tracks, but I make it work.

Craig
  • Ugh, every so often I start trying to clean up my genre tags, but it usually ends up with me sobbing in the corner. Amie Street definitely did not help there (smooth soul/ne-soul/urban/r&b is not a genre - it's a mash of words), and Amazon's overuse of Alternative/Whatever gets equally annoying. Some of these genres are just ridiculous, trip-hip? What the hell is trip-hip? It's almost like some idiot couldn't spell trip-hop... wait a second...
  • Amazon's refusal to admit that there is no such thing as "Alternative Rock" is the bane of my genre existence, but yeah Amie was terrible for genre tags.

LWS isn't going to help on genre quest. They don't even have a genre for hip hop. It's all rap and/or R&B (yes, there is an and in there. Also, apparently RJD2 is rap. Who knew?). With the explosion of hip hop over the last 30 years it's inexcusable not to have it as a genre. It would be like not have a rock genre.

Craig
  • Katrina, I love Christmas music! Rhythmbox is currently showing 2413 tracks with that tag. All but about 600 are rated. My last.fm profile is heavily skewed by the Christmas music plays. My top 4 artists are there because of Xmas music plays, half of the rest in the top 15 are from Xmas plays. I thought about not scrobbling this stuff when I've got it playing in the house all of December but they are legit plays that I queued up because I wanted to hear that music.
  • @mutex
    Oh, I agree, the Christmas tunes totally need scrobbled! It's not much different than deciding to go on a kick with listening to a certain artist obsessively for 3 or 4 weeks like I sometimes do. And some others here have said they go at it that way at times, as well.
    Thanksgiving, or the day after, I make a quick genre=holiday smart playlist, ctl-click a box so all the items get checked in itunes, and give myself a nice holiday playlist to sync to my ipod.

@ mommio & thom
    I am really thinking about how to clean up my music. I got a new laptop and consolidated itunes onto a 1TB exHD. Haven't backed up since July, and I KNOW HOW STUPID THAT IS. Anyway my previous backup plan was backing up a 500GB drive onto the 1TB using SYncToy. Now that I consolidated itunes to the bigger drive, I can't do that anymore. I have to figure something out and I'd better do it soon.

ANYWAY. I have some stuff that I totally need to get rid of, off the hard drive and not even backed up to a CD or DVD, because it's totally forgettable. Not just free tracks, becasue there are some of those, but for example, the Whitney Houston & Phyliss Hyman CDs a friend gave me for a present. Ugh. I never listen to it, no idea why she thought I'd like it. A Tuck & Patti CD I got simply for the cover version of "Time After Time" and even though I tried to listen to the whole album when I first got it, I apparently haven't listened to it since, and I skip it when it come up in itunes, except for that one song and even it could probably go.

The genres don't leave me sobbing in the corner, but decisions like THAT do. What to get rid of.
  • @Katrina - I recommend giving Mozy a try. I haven't had to restore anything from them yet, but between my docs, photos, and music I've got over 700GB backed up with them. I also use SyncToy to keep an extra local copy on a 2TB external drive so that things are with me at work, etc.

I have, in fact, lost some very important photos in the past and won't let it happen again.
  • Yeah keep posting but persistence is futile. I will be King of the posters and you will all be my bitches.

You can run but there's no hiding place

Third best GAP band song ever but it was a major sleeper
  • No. 18; 296 posts. 50% of them "OTM," "OTMFM," or "LOL."
  • I'm thinking of starting a 1K club - but currently it would just be me, Craig and Mutantis with amclark2 joining sometime soon. Mostly we'd just sit around and tease jUj...