just for gits and shiggles.....

edited December 2010 in General
and to celebrate a legacy,
and because I’m sitting here providing eng support for the dead air of a freshly
vacated customer,

let’s say is 1973, John and Paul have been separated for a few years, writing songs but releasing nothing. They decide to do a reunion LP; you are called in to
put together 16 tunes that still sprinkle fab dust when you shake them.
Here is what I came up with in the sequence I recorded them:
1.Instant Karma
2.Another Day
3.Oh Love
4.Dear Boy
5.Working Class Hero
6.Bluebird
7.Imagine
8.Maybe I’m Amazed
9.Gimme Some Truth
10.Too Many People
11.How Do You Sleep
12.Let Me Roll It
13.Oh Yoko
14.That Would Be Something
15.Mind Games
16.Everyday

Granted, the sequencing could use some work and it slants towards my tastes, but my wife loved it and she’s one tough customer.

Comments

• George just goes on with his own career?
  • George is still pissed
  • Well Ringo would still be on good terms with everybody, so "It Don't Come Easy" belongs.

I also think "Look at Me" and "Love" would be contenders on the Lennon side, and "Back Seat of My Car" and "Smile Away" for Macca (he always needs a sweeping ballad and a throw-away rocker).
  • No "Monkberry Moon Delight"? I mean, come on.
  • edited December 2010
    all right, 20 songs then; add "It Don't Come Easy" and "Love", I would have to go with "Monkeyberry Moon Delight" over "Back Seat of My Car" and "Smile Away", and in the spirit of fair play and the need for snappy guitar fills, throw in "What is Life".
  • Oh, I'm sure John would have just loved to be part of "Monkberry Moon Delight"!

I guess "Junior's Farm" comes out too late for this game.
  • edited December 2010
    probably about as thrilled as Paul was during the recording of "Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill".

"Junior's Farm" is a great song, I only chose 1973 because the residual effects were
    still evident and both John and Paul were still remaking discarded Beatle tunes.
  • edited December 2010
    Someone at Popdose was doing an interesting "What if..." about the Beatles post-1970 albums, using what happened with the solo albums for the period (and not counting songs like "How Do You Sleep" that may not have been written if they hadn't broken up). Some interesting choices - and probably close to what really would have happened (good and bad). Here's part 1:

http://popdose.com/fixing-a-hole-the-beatles-imaginary-post-1970-albums-part-1/
  • Listened to “Monkeyberry Moon Delight” (as opposed to sampled)
    and decided to go with “Smile Away” instead. tossed in another Ringo and
    George song to fill out the double album format. (no CDs in 73)

The title is based on a quote by Lennon:

“One More Before The Little Turds Turn on Us….”

Side 1

1.It Don’t Come Easy
    2.Mind Games
    3.Working Class Hero
    4.Dear Boy
    5.Give Me Love
    6.Blue Bird

Side 2

1.Imagine
    2.Every Night