What are you listening to right now? (Twenty Million Things [We'd Like to Do when COVID is over])

Comments

• The Books

2002                            Thought For Food
  • Boris

2003                    Amplifier Worship                     2003                 Akuma No Uta

2005                Boris With Merzbow                      2006                          Pink
                          Sun Baked Snow Cave 
  • Bonobo

2006                         Days To Come           
  • edited January 2021
    "Brown Acid - The First Trip".

The Brown Acid compilations are like the "Nuggets" and "Pebbles" series, mining early garage rock, heavy rock, proto-punk and pre-stoner rock. They are available on Bandcamp via the Riding Easy label.

So far, there are eleven albums in the series.
    `
    https://ridingeasyrecords.bandcamp.com/album/brown-acid-the-first-trip

• Fun series! I had a long playlist of Brown Acid tunes ready for a Random Radio mix
    before I decided to stop at #100.
  • edited January 2021
    And funnily enough, one of the best of the series "Brown Acid - The Third Trip" is still available on eMusic as is one track from "Brown Acid - The Fourth Trip"

https://www.emusic.com/album/3783815/Various-Artists/Brown-Acid-The-Third-Trip

https://www.emusic.com/album/4425117/Kanaan/Leave-It

• edited January 2021
  • Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band

1969                      Tadpoles                               Recorded 1969   The Peel Sessions
  • Boban Marković Orkestar

2003                                 Boban I Marko
  • Boy With A Fish

2004                 Birds Fly Backwards                      2011    I Put My Tongue On The Window

• Been waiting to hear this album for a long time and really does not disappoint, waiting for my paycheck to buy this.

Followed by

ON U Sound perfect to clean my office to.

• Boxhead Ensemble

1998                 The Last Place To Go                   1999                  ‎ ‎Niagara Falls EP

2000                         Quartets
  • edited January 2021

Sun Cycle / Elk Jam

by Elkhorn

“Two mind-bending slabs of acoustic and electric guitars, wandering into corners of acid-logic. Elkhorn is a duo—Jesse Sheppard and Drew Gardner—and these two LPs (released individually, but recorded more or less simultaneously) explore a whole warren of new style caverns.

Sun Cycle is closer to their pure duo sound (although guitarist Willie Lane and percussionist Ryan Jewell are along for the ride). Layers of pluck and soar and light percussion mix at the upper edge of the cosmic barrier, and Sun Cycle is, to our ears, Elkhorn's most adventurous and fully realized album yet.

On Elk Jam, Willie Lane and Ryan Jewell function more as members of a psychedelic folk-rock quartet, and the troupe takes things even deeper in a Bay Area-styled trip zone. Elkhorn are the true sonic dealio.

Instrumental music doesn't get much better than this. As Capt. Beefheart once said, ‘If you got ears/You gotta listen!’ We couldn't agree more.”

– Byron Coley
  • crazy doberman

• edited January 2021

Sommé​-​e

by Tachycardie

Sommé-e is like the setting in sound of stories that we have yet to imagine. The frenetic opening track, "Pas élevé, se nourrit", begins with almost nothing—two sticks, three ceramic tiles—but eleven minutes in, we hear a world being conjured into existence, a whole theatre of storms and chases in which asian sonorities and spectres surround us.

The apparent chaos of the second piece, "D’Humeur à savoir", answers the rhythmic regularity of the first. The percussion becomes spasmodic, the dance that it sketches evoking the unpredictable gestures of animals on the alert: static one moment, in motion the next, without transition. Insect-like noises mingle with the lopsided footfall of an electronic pachyderm. Everything ends with a bell ringing, and this same sound opens the next track: "Directement, au voleur", a long piece of seventeen full minutes.

Here, Geoffroy takes his time. First, there is silence. The stage is being set. A brassy drone, like the ghost of a gong, becomes a reptilian undulation. Then a rhythm emerges: it is regular, tribal. An unexpected electronic thunderclap gives the signal, then a menacing tribe multiplies and fans out: on the left, on the right. Surrounded on all sides, deep in the jungle, we wonder how we're ever going to escape...and then comes the climax of this sonic tale: a moment of trance, and of pagan sacrifice.

• This compilation has been put together in order to raise awareness and/or raise money for the UK charity, Refuge. This means 100% of proceeds from all sales will go to them (after the standard deductions from Bandcamp and PayPal).
    It was 1971 when Refuge opened the world’s first safe house, so this year marks the 50th year they’ve been helping women and children escape a life of abuse and violence; the first to make the point that violence in the home was no longer “a private matter” for society to simply turn a blind eye.

Refuge’s reputation of helping vulnerable people comes at a time where domestic violence (globally) has increased recently by nearly 30%, according to the UN; this is due in no small part to the government lockdowns brought on by the Covid-19 pandemic. Victims often now find themselves under constant surveillance by their abuser where phones are regularly checked and/or confiscated, making it harder than ever to call or text for help.
    refuge.org.uk

• edited January 2021
    Bocian, January 30, 2021

Rastascan, September 13, 2020
  • From @jonahpwll 's Bandcamp jazz list for january:

• edited January 2021
    Continuing with the Modulisme series:

Gino Robair - Modulisme Session 012

. . ."He has recorded with Tom Waits, Anthony Braxton, Terry Riley, Lou Harrison, John Butcher, Derek Bailey, Peter Kowald, Otomo Yoshihide, the ROVA Saxophone Quartet, and Eugene Chadbourne, among many others. In addition, Robair has performed with John Zorn, Nina Hagen, Fred Frith, Eddie Prevost, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, Myra Melford, Wadada Leo Smith, and the Club Foot Orchestra." . . .

More Modulisme:

André Stordeur - Modulisme Session 023
  • edited January 2021
    Twenty Sixty Six & Then and their 1972 album “Reflections On The Future”

Top rank German Prog.

• Bongwater

1990                            The Power Of Pussy
  • @rostasi rather amazingly those two excellent Elkhorn albums are still available on eMusic!

https://www.emusic.com/artist/rs_3367749/Elkhorn
  • “The Doors Live At The Isle Of Wight Festival 1970”

• “The Mantle” by Agalloch.

• Bodeco

1995                               Callin' All Dogs
  • Third Ear Band - Alchemy
    Their debut on Harvest, 1969. I bought Audion 61 yesterday and after 5 minutes I was back on the Freeman Bros. Discogs page to replace my moody rip of this album and Elements as expanded legit reissues. Also a live Curved Air album. Funny how TEB and early ELO were both on Harvest... somebody liked their strings!

• Brad

1993                          Shame                                2002          Welcome To Discovery Park

2003     Brad Vs Satchel - Brad Vs Satchel
This discussion has been closed.