What are you listening to right now? (21st Century Schizoid Thread)

Comments

• Lady Blackbird - Black Acid Soul

Perfect Sunday Music
  • edited September 2021
    I remember listening to that quite a bit when it came out. That band has gotten harder to google since Lana.
    Today I am working my way through the last remaining Gigabyte of my "not played in the last 6 years" smart list. Today's revisits include:
    Nik Brtsch39s Mobile  Ritual Groove Music 2004 CD - Discogs
    Yanqui UXO
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X.O. (Huh, good price on Amazon for anyone who never picked this up).
    Thomas Kner amp Jana Winderen - Clotre  Releases  Discogs
    along with some Dizzy Gillespie, Vivaldi, Jan Lundgren, and John Williams (the guitarist).
  • Ambient jazz (by which I mean jazz that is ambient, not jazzy downtempo electronica). Nice. Wistful. I could imagine @jonahpwll enjoying this, though you're probably way ahead of me.
  • Ambient jazz (by which I mean jazz that is ambient, not jazzy downtempo electronica). Nice. Wistful. I could imagine @jonahpwll enjoying this, though you're probably way ahead of me.

Nice find and there are (I think) another three in the series.

I'm a big fan of Patrick Shiroishi.  I hadn't circled back to this one yet, but I have now.

• Lee Anthony Norris And Porya Hatami

2013        Every Day Feels Like A New Drug          2014            The Longing Daylight

2014                     Italian Works                            2020                 Italian Works II
  • New from Nat
  • Lee Morgan - The Complete Live at the Lighthouse  Blue Note Records
    Only because I am not yet quite insane I just bought the FLAC files from Presto Jazz. Just under £30. No booklet, but then Lee Morgan isn't saying much these days.

• edited September 2021
    confused said:
    Huh, I listened to that for the first time in years yesterday. Small world.
  • edited September 2021
    Chris Carter

• rostasi said:
    Gestrüpp

Love that video, nice find. My first job in London was at Hamley's the famous toy shop. One day a young girl came in with a dog soft toy and the stitching had come away at the neck. Heartless creature wanted a replacement. I took "Henry" home with me that night, still here 30 years later.

• Synth ambiences, acoustic landscapes, deep songwriting and subtle candombe percussions combine in most of the musical output released in Uruguay during the 80s. A very unique sound was developed within the narrow boundaries of Montevideo by just a small group of very talented artists. These sounds reverberated in singer-songwriting, jazz fusion approximations, experimental music and the work of musicians at the intersections of these worlds.

In “América Invertida”, ethereal vocal arrangements and acoustic guitars cohabit with synthesizers and drum machines; Candombe and Latin American music form a fellowship with new wave and dream pop.
  • That's a nice one, thanks @rostasi. Haven't been keeping up with Vampi Soul's output lately, will have to take a look
  • edited September 2021

English prog rock band Van Der Graaf‘s entire recorded work for Charisma Records is being released in a 17CD+3 x blu-ray box set. This package features remastered albums, bonus tracks, BBC sessions, rare video footage, new stereo remixes and 5.1 surround versions.

The studio albums features on The Charisma Years are as follows: The Least We Can Do is Wave to Each Other (1970), H to He Who Am the Only One (1970), Pawn Hearts (1971), Godbluff (1975), Still Life (1976), World Record (1976) and The Quiet Zone / The Pleasure Dome (1977).

All of these have bonus tracks such as A-sides, B-sides and all of the surviving BBC sessions recorded by the band. CD 4 is almost an entire disc of Pawn Hearts sessions.

Additionally, the double live album, Vital (1978) is included, as is a recently discovered and previously unreleased entire concert recorded in Paris in December 1976 by French radio.

The last four CDs in The Charisma Years (CD14 to CD17) are new stereo mixes of H to he Who Am the Only One, Pawn Hearts, Godbluff and Still Life. These have been remixed from the original multi-track tapes by Stephen W Tayler.
  • @rostasi that VdGG Charisma entire recorded works looks really interesting. Treasured in my collection are The Least We Can Do is Wave to Each Other (1970), H to He Who Am the Only One (1970) and Pawn Hearts (1971). However this takes it all to a new level.

Many thanks for bringing this to our attention.
  • ^^^   ^^^
    A real pity that the first VdGG album isn't included, though I understand why. At least Repertoire and Hammill's own label have reissued it and yes I understand that were it not for contracts The Aerosol Grey Machine would have been a Hammill solo record. Still my OCD is offended somehow. Would be interested in hearing what they did with Vital which was a very raw live recording.
  • djhdjh
    edited September 2021
    Doofy said:
    That's a nice one, thanks @rostasi. Haven't been keeping up with Vampi Soul's output lately, will have to take a look

Seconded, time was I had at least 50% of what the label put out, but now? Anyway a great compilation and I note they've just released another Marcos Valle album. [EDIT Just noticed the Valle album is a free download if you like slick Brazilian funky disco!] MORE IMPORTANT EDIT - I'd forgotten the reason I disliked Vampi Soul some of their downloads are just 60 or 90 second edits that they offer for free really annoying, I'd rather pay £10 or whatever for the full album. I guess they wait until the vinyl has sold out or something, still, such a tease!
  • rostasi said:

I had no idea this existed I think, so thanks very much for the heads up. Oh wait it is on the not Google-able American label isn't it? Anyhow many thanks! (You Tube can sort folk out for a listen).
  • I'm listening to it on LP, but you can get it on this. It's included in that collection.
  • rostasi said:
    I'm listening to it on LP, but you can get it on this. It's included in that collection.

Cheers, managed a cheeky rip for audition purposes. The second cd of that reissue you linked to looks like just the thing that scares off my non jazz devoted friends with an entire disc of false starts /breakdowns etc. which really should have been left in the can, except jazz fans can be a mite OCD at times. ;)
  • Cerulean

by Nashville Ambient Ensemble

A bit like B.J. Cole meets Cluster and Cocteau Twins.

• The President Miracle Mile  Nonesuch Records - MP3 Downloads Free  Streaming Music Lyrics
    Wayne Horvitz: The President - "Miracle Mile"

• A collection of mainly tuff short dance tunes, apparently primitively recorded in local churches with portable tape decks as only rich groups could afford to hire the State sponsored record label's studio.

This discussion has been closed.