What are you listening to right now? (21st Century Schizoid Thread)

Comments

• The Whitelabrecs label recently gave fans the chance to vote on their favorite releases from the overall catalogue, and a track from each of the top 15 was chosen to make this compilation to celebrate a hundred releases on the label. It's a very nice selection.
  • edited September 2021
    Released last Friday

• edited September 2021
    "The Secret Archives of Progressive Rock" a compilation of rare but excellent tracks from largely unknown bands of the early 1970s.

The Secret Archives Of Progressive Rock 2016 File - Discogs
  • "The Trial Of St-Orange"  by Shalabi Effect

AMG says "An extremely eclectic blend of musical genres, including Middle Eastern and North Indian, is what keeps this Canadian group on the cutting edge of global music" and "This is truly groundbreaking work"

1The Trial Of St-Orange - Album by Shalabi Effect  Spotify

• "The Trial Of St-Orange"  by Shalabi Effect

AMG says "An extremely eclectic blend of musical genres, including Middle Eastern and North Indian, is what keeps this Canadian group on the cutting edge of global music" and "This is truly groundbreaking work"

1The Trial Of St-Orange - Album by Shalabi Effect  Spotify

That's an old fave I need to dig the cd out. Bought when new, but I have no idea how it got on my radar.
  • Lionel Marchetti / Jérôme Noetinger

Mort Aux Vaches

Olivier Capparos et Lionel Marchetti …Free download

Atelier de Création Radiophonique - Ce que l'œil voit - France Culture / 1995

Atelier de Création Radiophonique - Sing me to sleep (5 études sur le sommeil et le rêve) - France Culture, 2004
  • From the Ibyss...

Six long years have passed since Pierre-Yves Macé's last album on John Zorn's prestigious Composer Series.

In the meantime, the talented composer has been working hard and has gained eminence in the world of contemporary music. He has produced works for Ensemble Intercontemporain (founded by Pierre Boulez), the Paris Chamber Orchestra, and the Hong Kong Sinfonietta and has collaborated with directors Joris Lacoste and Sylvain Creuzevault on ambitious works mixing theatre and opera.

Much to our surprise, he returned to his first love—the studio—a few weeks before the birth of his son, which resulted in a series of highly contrasted yet straightforward tracks. Here, Macé deploys an abundance of forms and sounds: a detuned piano triptych, a Bertolt Brecht sound archive, abrasive electronics, some melancholic ambient escapades, an elegant cello solo, a miniature for bass and celesta flute, or funeral melodies for trélombarde, a peculiar instrument from Brittany.

With this very personal record, Pierre-Yves Macé pushes further his exploration of "disturbing strangeness".

released November 8, 2019

Music By – Pierre-Yves Macé
    Alto Clarinet, Bass Flute, Piccolo Flute – Cédric Jullion
    Cello – Maitane Sebastian, Nicolas Carpentier
    Field Recording – Jeanne Robet
    Pipe – Guénolé Keravec
    Viola – Elsa Balas
  • Ran Soundtrack Tru Takemitsu - CD cover
    Toru Takamitsu - Ran soundtrack.

• Hammock - Silencia

Perfect music for when all the work is done before the weekend.
  • Listening Mirror

Outside Heaven                                                              On The Passing of Chavela  (Free)
  • Thanks to @omnifoo for the introduction. They're still Free!
    Los Cuentos de la Buena Pipa

Así gritó el dictador                                                        ¿Qué es el laberinto?
  • Another version of this great set.

Despite being originally a radio broadcast this still sounds fine, I probably have other versions hanging around here somewhere.

• I'm liking this a lot. When the harmonica kicks in it reminds me of O'Rang (the post Talk Talk group) Herd of Instinct.
  • edited October 2021
    djh said:

I'm liking this a lot. When the harmonica kicks in it reminds me of O'Rang (the post Talk Talk group) Herd of Instinct.
    It's a great album, their best to date, I think. Moody and magnificent. Thanks for the O'Rang tip!
    NP:
    Classic LINE release - almost not there at all in the early stages, rewards patience.
  • edited October 2021
    "Krautrock - Cosmic Sounds" compilation album with over 8 hours of top late 60s and early 70s Krautrock.

Krautrock - Cosmic Sounds - Compilation by Various Artists  Spotify
  • ^^^ Some sort of bonkers bootleg?^^^ The track listing is all over the place, some true obscurities, if they aren't fake groups - there was a lot of that 10-20 years back. Where did you find it?
  • No fakes there. I grew up with nearly all of those tunes.
    Could easily put together a comp twice as long as this
    just using the albums I have around the house here.
    The ultimate compilation would be a multi-disc set being
    remastered by Eroc, but there’s already such a glut of
    stuff put together in comps under the horrid moniker
    ”Krautrock” that it would be difficult to clearly distinguish
    it from the others. The 8 discs that Bear Family put out is
    worth searching for too (in addition to a few others - incl.
    this one).
  • edited October 2021
    consisting of the accumulation of over 200 sound files and silences pulled together and randomly overlapped with no control. ... In the mountain, a humble tea house. Snow forms outside. Between these states and the tension of opposites, density vanishes into sparsity, weight defies lightness, shadow intersects light, heat meets cold, in a continuous play of illusory forms generated out of empty spaces.
    Quite lovely. The cover art captures it quite nicely.
    And it's fun not knowing whether the track has ended.

• A collection of stunning Persian-tuned piano pieces cut from Iranian national radio broadcasts made for the Golha programmes between 1956 & 1965.

Morteza Mahjoubi (1900-1965) was a Iranian pianist & composer who developed a unique tuning system for the piano which enabled the instrument to be played in all the different modes and dastgahs of traditional Persian art music. Known as Piano-ye Sonnati, this technique allowed Mahjoubi to express the unique ornamental and monophonic nature of Persian classical music on this western instrument - mimicking the tar, setar & santur and extracting sounds from the piano which are still unprecedented to this day.

An active performer and composer from a young age, Mahjoubi made his most notable mark as key contributor and soloist for the Golha (Flowers of Persian Song and Poetry) radio programmes. These seminal broadcasts platformed an encyclopaedic wealth of traditional Persian classical music and poetry on Iranian national radio between 1956 until the revolution in 1979.

Presented here is a collection of Morteza Mahjoubi's stunningly virtuosic improvised pieces broadcast on Golha between the programme's inception until Mahjoubi's death in 1965 - mostly solo, though at times peppered with tombak, violin & some segments of poetry.

The vast collection of Golha radio programmes was put together thanks to the incredible work of Jane Lewisohn & the Golha Project as part of the British Library's Endangered Archives programme, comprising 1,578 radio programs consisting of approximately 847 hours of broadcasts. 

• @rostasi is quite correct that all the "Krautrock - Cosmic Sounds" tracks are the genuine article. I bought it from eMusic in 2017 - 8 hours of great music for only US$6.99.
  • djhdjh
    edited October 2021
    @rostasi is quite correct that all the "Krautrock - Cosmic Sounds" tracks are the genuine article. I bought it from eMusic in 2017 - 8 hours of great music for only US$6.99.

I was just questioning  groups like Cravinkel or The Petards, given my memory is getting pretty bad these days. There were quite a few fake albums released when "Krautrock" rarities started to fetch high prices, at least according to folk like Alan Freeman who knows his stuff. Also the label the compilation is on "Master Classics" is completely bogus. In any event both those groups certainly did exist, not sure how cosmic they might be. Anyway glad you found a bargain which you enjoy!

Further (i.e. some!) research shows that Master Classics was between 2008-2011 a sub-label of Cleopatra Records which makes some sort of sense.
  • An Offering

by Photay with Carlos Niño

Newest morning electro-ambient, thanx to @idiotprogrammer 's Twitter NYOP search link. Aquarium Drunkard has some other nice Carlos Nino stuff

This discussion has been closed.