Your digital library statistics

2»

Comments

• I've only got about 36,000 tracks, so I'm still keeping track of them with a pencil and paper, plus one of those little hand-held tally counters you can buy on Amazon for 8 bucks.
  • edited February 2022
    By the way, I just realized I made an assumption about what we mean by median play count. What I did was sort all tracks by play count and give the play count of the median track. That gives 2. But if we mean the median play count number in a range from highest to lowest, it would be 164. Same with all my other medians. Perhaps @kargatron can advise.
  • I meant population (of library), so 2. 164 comes from the unique set of playcounts? That doesn't seem very illuminating by itself. In the same vein maybe a list of top 10 playcounts would at least illustrate your peak relistening habits? My 10th highest playcount is 91, most of that regime is dominated by kids playlists, which are much smaller and focused. I mostly avoid multiply replaying/favoring tracks as a rule. You know, the smart playlist thing.
  • Well, here's some kind of info. I have a huge number of files to add because I've been away from my desktop for a month, so I'll be spending a lot of the next week adding those. So, maybe a few thousand more could be added to the total. I can update on March 1 if anyone cares.

As for the other minutia, the listings aren't accurate because when I have to transfer to a different hard drive (usually larger), I don't care about stuff like number of plays, etc., so I don't even try to transfer that stuff - plus, there's streaming from multiple sources, etc. Basically, I'm a shuffle guy with the occasional deliberate listening if an album catches my ear or if someone dies and I get on a binge, and so on.

Like Muggsy, I stream throughout the house. In my case it's to different Sonos speakers.
    I have a separate 5TB drive that I use sometimes for "creative" listening: special playlists to recreate a radio show that I use to listen to at bedtime when I was a youngster ... or a random playlist for an online radio station that I may create in the future so I can hear how it segues and flows, etc.

My LastFM account is more accurate in many ways because I can stream from so many online sources and even different mechanisms (an iPod Touch in the car for instance).

https://www.last.fm/user/rostasi2

Gotta go and catch up now...

Oh, and my median length is 3:50:

• I am just the opposite of you two, @kargatron and @rostasi. I almost never shuffle, and almost never listen to a playlist, though I use playlists heavily to organize what gets onto my devices. My listening is 99% albums and almost always intentional. Repetition is often intentional too - a friend and I go through spells of choosing an artist and listening to their albums in chronological order, listening to each one at least once a day for a week. I find deep dives very rewarding, and I try to alternate them with discovery listening.
    My tenth highest play count is 134.
  • Well, it isn't March 1 (which I knew was ambitious),
    but I managed to get thru 4 weeks of backup in 3 weeks
    and have an updated total now. Good to be caught up.
    Not just emails, but that fine empty space on the floor
    where music once lived...