music + movies

edited July 2009 in General
"blue velvet" is pop songs gone wrong.

your observations? other movies?

Comments

• I can never listen to "Stuck in the Middle With You" by Stealers Wheel without flashing back to the torture scene in "Reservoir Dogs".
  • Oh, I love a good movie soundtrack. Tarantino always has great soundtracks. One of my favorite picks from him is Urge Overkill's cover of Niel Diamond's Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon.

Jerry McGuire has a great soundtrack.

Although he is a generation before me, and I'm not too fond of the 50s doo wop stuff, I think Scorcese did the most for getting great music into USA movies.

I have been reading Sookie Stackhouse novels for years....HBO made it into a series called True Blood. That has a great soundtrack. The theme song is gorgrous, so I get to hear it every episode.
  • edited July 2009
    "That has a great soundtrack."

I confess...I actually downloaded that song from iTunes. I love the soundtrack from Bladerunner by Vangelis.
    Also, the soundtrack from From Dusk To Dawn is pretty rocking, plus you get that little speech Cheech delivers outside the bar, in case you ever need to impress anybody with your sophistication level.
    In terms of surprise factor, there is a great rockabilly song called See You Soon, You Big Baboon from a release called Chess Rockabillies (I only have it on cassette) that begins with the Johnny Weismuller Tarzan cry - that gets people's attention.
  • boogie nights.
  • A soundtrack I love -- (and don't you laugh!)

Love Me Or Leave Me - Doris Day

I saw the movie back in the day (pun not intended). Both Cagney and Day were excellent. Can anyone do mean, bad as well as Cagney? My copy is worn out, so this will be my next download. Doris Day was considered one of the top singers in her late teens and early 20s. Then came all the fluff, but this isn't the fluff.
  • All good ones -

Dirty Dancing

Cold Mountain

The English Patient

But we got no 'Grease' and 'Forrest Gump' (some things never change!)
  • Zabriskie Point. Can hardly remember the film - unlike Blow Up, which sticks in the mind - but the movie gave me these guys* and this guy.

*plundertronics mix available on eMu
  • edited July 2009
    My favorite as a song itself: Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend by Marilyn Monroe.

"A Beautiful Mind" by RJD2 is the theme song for that fabulous show Mad Men. The show also used "The Infanta" by The Decemberists

Howz about music from and inspired by Knocked Up? Still, my husband's favorite song from that movie is the hip-hop one in the opening credits that the stoner guys are dancing to.
  • edited July 2009
    Some of my favorites...
    Local Hero by Mark Knopfler
    Naked Lunch by Ornette Coleman and the LSO.
    Thick as Thieves by various obscure jazz guys.
    Midnight Cowboy by Nilson.
    I agree with previous comments about the soundtrack to Bladerunner, and IMO, is the epitome of what a soundtrack should be, your feelings of VanGelis aside.
    Jarmusch films always seemed to have good tunes, especially Night on Earth, but more importantly, they really seemed to fit with the movie.
    King of New York and Escape from New York both had some good moments.
    A couple soundtracks featuring excellent work by Bill Frisell were "Finding Forrester" and "All Hat".
    "About a Boy" by Badly Drawn Boy is decent as a stand-alone album, as is Michael Nyman's "The Piano".
    I'll end this post now; it's much longer than I'd intended, and gaining steam.
  • "The Mad Room" from 1969 turned me on to Nazz.
    I believe "Open My Eyes" and "Wildwood Blues" were used to represent some disturbing scene or the other.
    I spent the next three years trying to track down their first record.
  • Anyone listen to the Wanderer as travel music? Katrina?
  • An oldie, but goodie --

South Pacific - Original Broadway cast (16 credits, 16 tracks, 45:35)

OR

South Pacific - the movie (12 credits, 16 tracks, 45:58)

Mary Martin can sure belt 'em out. I like the movie version, too.
  • Ooooo - found another goodie. Nancy Wilson's score for Elizabethtown. Off to download it now.
  • Diva...there's a goodie
  • auntie! Haven't seen that name in a long time.

Hey, that's not the Nancy Wilson is it???
  • Curtais Mayfield "Superfly"

Gene Moore "Carnival of Souls" An eerie all organ soundtrack for a horror movie.

the Twin Peaks soundtracks, especially the stuff that Juliee Cruise ended up doing after ward. David Lynch was always good at creating great music for his movies. I still revel at what he did with Eraserhead.
  • Not THE Nancy Wilson. This is Nancy Wilson of Heart. This is acoustic guitar, a little harmonica, sort of a folky-country feel, all instrumental. Not the vocal soundtrack. Nancy wrote the score and I think she plays all the instruments on this album. Nancy is married to Cameron Crowe (Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous, Elizabethtown, Vanilla Sky).
  • edited July 2009
    @BigD-Bluez
    Apparently I did, too (download Bad Things by Jace Everett from iTunes) back in Jan 2006 - it must have been a free DL of the week backthen! It is a bit different than the album version and has spoken words in it. I have the True Blood soundtrack on order from my library. Every episode has had at least one new song I like. The new series Hung has a good soundtrack, too - the ending song on episode 2 by Mickey Avalon is hilarious.
    And it's kinda scary watching reruns of My Name is Earl...I know every song without having ot look anything up on the internet.

So many movies mentioned, I'll have to go check them out again.

@mommio
    Not THE Nancy Wilson. This is Nancy Wilson of Heart.
    Um, I thought that was THE Nancy Wilson...didn't realize there is another jazzy one running around!
  • Um, I thought that was THE Nancy Wilson...didn't realize there is another jazzy one running around!
    Katrina, there you go again. You get my first real laugh of the day. Being old enough to be your momma (or pretty darned close), there is another jazzy one that is much better known to me than this "young" Nancy Wilson.

(I know you know that, but I just had to acknowledge your wit, which I appreciate so much.)
  • Totally agree on the Local Hero sountrack by Knofler - I went out and bought that one after seeing the movie. If you have not seen this movie, please do - it is a gem.
  • Any Knopfler soundtrack is candy to my ears. Local Hero being one of the best, but Princess Bride, Cal, Metroland, Shot at Glory, and Wag the Dog.

I would also put American Grafitti on this list, and I remember wearing the grooves out of "The Big Chill" when I was in high school. It evoked such a sense of times lost to me, I dunno.
  • I'll second the 'Diva' and Twin Peaks soundtracks, remember absolutely loving those many years ago.
    Also, the Lost in Translation OST is excellent, as is the Cliff Martinez music from the (dull) remake of (the duller original!) Solaris.

For my money though, you can't beat soundtrack albums that include good bits of movie dialogue :-)
    I've got the original vinyl Apocalypse Now! double album which is fantastic mostly because of the famous bits (Saigon...shit..., Napalm/morning, etc).
    And more recently the Shaun of The Dead and Hot Fuzz albums are great too.
  • @kez - Forrest Gump arrived today.
  • @tim

color me crazy for asking, but did the dead ever tour outside of the states??? i have this feeling they were like elvis - other than getting drafted, going to hawaii was "leaving the country".

fahey might be part of our post mod xmas story.
  • lol - that is pretty wild at the pyramids...i have a few buddies who, mid to late 80's, did the dead thing. dead be trippin'. one is now dead. two i'm not so sure...
  • Re Grateful Dead -- I went to one concert. I did enjoy the music, but not the pot. No, I wasn't using, but I was darned sure inhaling. We had great second row balcony seats at Freedom Hall, not far from the stage. Row 1 had several "youngsters" passing joints up and down the row. The place was filled with smoke -- and was bothering me, and my eyes started to itch and I couldn't keep them open. My older daughter looked at me and said, "OMG! Mom is having a reaction to the pot!" She whisked me out to the hall and some cleaner air. That is the most memorable part of that concert. I enjoyed the rest from a greater distance.

One of my attorney friends, a blues and jazz lover par excellence and a Deadhead, told me later that it wasn't nearly so bad as it had been in the past. By the way that friend always hits the New Orleans Jazz Festival. He is said to have so many albums -- vinyl and CD -- that if he began playing them with stops only to change discs, he could't make a dent in them before he dies. He never denied it.
  • I appreciate your reactionary stories! Hahah.
  • dammit! How did I miss this soundtrack thread over here? Had I known, I would've posted here instead of over there...
  • fabulous baker boys.