Post for Cathy

edited December 2010 in General
If anyone that has access to eMusic messageboards wouldn't mind posting this for me, would be appreciated:

Topic: Question for Cathy

Cathy,

Is it possible to do like Amie Street did and not allow re-downloads of Sony (and now UMG) content, but allow redownload of those labels that don't have contracts excluding redownloading?

Has UMG specified they don't want any content redownloaded from eMusic, or have they just indicated they don't want their content redownloaded?

Thanks,

Music Lover (ML)

Comments

• Will do, ASAP.
  • Brighternow,

Thanks! Good eye!
  • I predict that the answer to this will be that: (1) policy is the same - re-downloads are only allowed in the case of defective tracks, (2) something about the "cloud" on the horizon.
  • amclark2 - I have replied to your question over there as follows:

"Album only download for tracks over 10 minutes. My bonus makes up my 'money' amount up to £42-00 per month. All tracks are 42p, so I still get 100 tracks per month. But we have lost the major independents and re-downloading. We are 'promised' the US system of pricing when we have access to majors. Out of interest the £0.42 per track works out at $0.66 per track at today's tourist exchange rate, so quite expensive for those joining now. This compares with typically 79p to 99p per track on itunes or Amazon - usually albums are £6.99 or £7.99 on those 2 sites to download"

Greg
  • Brighternow,

Thanks for keeping the post on the front page. Looks like she isn't answering, though....
  • You're welcome. . .

It IS a good question and I'd like to know the answer too.

Maybe it puts her in a dilemma as to how it was possible to redownload before UMG and her claiming that all labels are treated equally ?
  • edited December 2010
    Hey Music Lover. . .

Theres a "no answer" from Chathy:
    Hi everyone -
    I’m afraid we don’t have a good response for this question. This would be very complicated for us to implement and brings up a host of issues we are unable to comment on due to sensitivities of our label partners. We do suggest you back up your downloads as you would other files, and if you have technical problems that are not addressed with the “re-try” feature, please contact Customer Service.

Please understand that any response made here has typically been filtered through a few layers, both to get an understanding of the issue and a consensus on how to respond to it. I personally am in favor of transparency and lobby for it whenever possible. We sympathize with members who are angry and understand they want to express that, but to criticize one person for responses made on behalf of the company as whole is not only unfair, it’s incorrect.

Thanks,
    Cathy

If there's any reply you wish to post, just say the word. :-)
  • edited December 2010
    but to criticize one person for responses made on behalf of the company as whole is not only unfair, it’s incorrect.
    It sounds like she is taking the personal criticism, well, you know, personally. Maybe she really is an ally but every time she sticks her neck out she draws fire. I guess she didn't read the part of her job description that said "public target for the boarders"

any response made here has typically been filtered through a few layers
    Well there's your problem right there
  • I hate to sound super-cynical here or anything, but I just don't see how anyone could expect them to respond to such a question in the first place. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to demand answers, but the only thing that would make sense to them would be to stall, deflect, and generally ignore the issue as long as they can - forever, if they can get away with it. Which is what they've been doing.

If they say "we didn't know" (about the Fraunhofer VBR encoded-files), they're essentially admitting that they didn't care enough to ask. If they say "we knew, but didn't think the customers would care," they're insulting the customers. They can't say "we asked but they (UMG) lied to us," because then a potential corporate buyer would take offense and no longer be a potential corporate buyer. If they say "we asked, they told us, and we knew customers would be pissed off, but we didn't care," then sure, at least they'd get points for honesty... but they're never going to say something like that on the record.

What other options do they have? I don't see any, but maybe that's only because I can't think like an executive.
  • edited December 2010
    This was the "Question for Cathy" thread, right? When I try to go to it I get an "Oops! Page Not Found."

Edit this morning: It's working now.
  • They could do what companies do when they get caught by the government with both hands in the cookie jar; pay a gazillion dollar fine (ostensibly out of the goodness of their hearts) while admitting no wrong doing.

Something along the lines of, ahem.

"Mordac has looked at this issue and found that while Mordac itself is pure as the driven snow, the resulting customer experience is not in keeping with our company standards. We apologize to our customers for any inconvenience caused by this situation , which, of course, was clearly not the fault of Mordac, its staff or executives. That notwithstanding, we are prepared to provide recompense to our valued customers in an appropriate manner. Consequently, we will provide free cookies and milk to each of our customers who shows up on our doorsteps tomorrow morning between the minutes of 7:46 am and 7:52 am. Provided, of course, that said arriving customers are prepared to sign a statement, or have their mothers sign a statement, to the effect that said customer is not lactose intolerant nor do they have any wheat or glutten allergies. Whereas the party of the first part desires....(have the lawyers fill in the rest).
  • edited December 2010
    Brighernow,

Thanks so much for your offer. Will take you up on it... :-)

(Also want to thank you for your persistence in keeping the post in view, so it would eventually be responded to.)

======
    Cathy,

Thanks much for your response.

I appreciate your situation and you have my understanding. It is unfortunate that a small handful of messageboard posters are taking shots at you, the messenger.

It is also unfortunate the eMusic leadership is not properly balancing their vision of the future eMusic with current customer needs and preferences.

Although doing something like Amie Street did (allowing different download rules for different labels) is not necessarily difficult, I am guessing it is not easy with the existing eMusic "code" that is associated to the "My Downloads" section. Guessing that this code is not flexible, extensible or even documented.

I am also guessing that current eMusic leadership really doesn't much care one way or another whether one can redownload and so wouldn't bother to address this whether it was a quick fix or an expensive one.

My main criticism, and none of it is addressed to you, is that eMusic leadership doesn't care enough about honoring their implicit or explicit commitments to their customers. Their vision of where they want eMusic to go is the "end all and be all", and the day-to-day ethics of running a business and treating customers appropriately are necessary evils to them as opposed to the primary reason for existing as a business.

By overlooking customers expectations, desires and needs in order to be able to move as quickly as possible towards a given vision, one not only loses customers, but cheats themselves out of the joy of providing a business that truly makes a better world.

And this was once a joyful place to be a part of.

I felt that much of every dollar I spent was being used for good -- providing additional income to struggling musicians and composers, providing jobs at eMusic for eMusic employees that loved music, and providing a platform at eMusic to promote lesser known artists and make a positive cultural impact. For me personally, I don't have much interest in helping pay the salaries of executives whose main mission is not to further meaningful music and I don't have much interest in providing additional money to the Lady Gagas or UMG executives of the world.

Diversity is crucial in music. Freedom to evolve is crucial in music. I don't think that most major label executives encourage this, and so not keen on eMusic leaders pandering to their agendas.

Honestly, I have to ask myself, is eMusic being made a pawn in some major label agenda of weakening the marketing and sales channels of the Indie labels? Drive labels like Matador and Merge from eMusic and you now have an eMusic that is more a marketing and sales channel of the major labels than the Indies. If so, I hope the major labels and eMusic get investigated for anti-trust violations.

So now that I don't feel my money spent here is being used for the overall good of music or even the overall good of society, there is no reason to stay. In fact, if I think that my subscription dollars in some way contribute to the general downward spiral of our music culture, then it is imperative that I don't subscribe.

I was a customer here for almost a decade for both my own self-interests and to help (in some small way) to continue musical diversity. Today, no one has to pay for music. There are more ways than I know of (and don't want to know of) of getting all the music one could ever listen to without spending 79 cents, 49 cents or 29 cents or even 1 cent a track. But just because music is available for free, doesn't "free" one from their obligation of sponsoring, supporting and contributing to a rich musical culture. Sites like Amie Street and eMusic that allowed an easy way to support great music, are now gone or changed beyond recognition. But there are still great sites like Magnatune that need our support and so I will continue with such places.

I wish you the best, all the Indie artists on eMusic the best and all past, present and future eMusic customers the best.

ML.
  • Wow! That was lightning quick!!! I was still editing a little bit (see the second to last paragraph -- still not sure when I joined since I can't see my profile. I think it was 2001, but not sure -- so changed to "almost a decade"

Thanks so much for posting!
  • I think ML officially wins the forum. They should just shut it down now.
  • jonahpwll,

LOL! I guess I am a bit full of myself, as that truly brought a smile to my face. Maybe they will make that a sticky or just post on their front page?
  • I'm sure the emu society will be receiving a very long tweet any moment now.
  • :-)

Here's where I would tweet if StationWagonsixtiessomething was around to teach me how to do it.
  • Curious who Cinthebox is. Can't get to their profile, but they suspiciously sound like the Wanderer type of customer.
  • Nerrefid,

Well said!

Nerrefid on eMu:

"Back when emusic was really cheap and didn't have populist music to push or to fall back on, one could easily get a sense of its potential to open people's ears to the vast wealth of music in the world. Certainly for me, emusic changed my view of music from being a commodity to being a resource. I'm sure that back in the day it did the same for many others. But the price increases have put paid to the opportunities for wide exploration and chance-taking."
  • edited December 2010
    LOL! Wanderer just posted to agree with Cinthebox!!!

Someone should ask him how losing Indie content and getting rubber stamped top 40 which all sounds the same and -- sounds the same as many Indie albums that aren't necessarily so great -- adds diversity.
  • Wow! That was lightning quick!!!
    - Maybe it's because I've just updated quick time on my labtop . . .
    ;-)

I've just bolded your post. It would be a shame if Cathy missed it because of the ramblings of Wandy and his alter ego.
    - I hope this is allright with you.
  • That big bold is rad, man. Really popping. I had to fire one across Wandy's bow just for not getting it at all, and I couldn't help noticing the difference after I posted. It pretty much says it all really well. I confess I'm being worn down to not caring which may very well be the inherent strategy, but I will not subsidize sub-standard product if I can help it.
  • edited December 2010
    Music Lover,
    Your profile sez:people33big.gif Member Since: januar 2001, so I've changed to "almost a decade"
  • Well said Music Lover - you've said what a lot of us are thinking, but can't put in words so well
  • Honestly, I have to ask myself, is eMusic being made a pawn in some major label agenda of weakening the marketing and sales channels of the Indie labels? Drive labels like Matador and Merge from eMusic and you now have an eMusic that is more a marketing and sales channel of the major labels than the Indies. If so, I hope the major labels and eMusic get investigated for anti-trust violations.
    I'm surprised more people haven't suggested this, but isn't this really about piracy? That's all the major labels really care about these days, and it would explain the different encoding schemes and maybe even the change in the re-download policy. It's easy to foil a checksum on an MP3 file, but you can't change the encoding scheme without a fair amount of effort and quality degradation. It isn't something most people are even going to know how to do, much less bother with.

UMG could be doing it merely to get some idea of the percentage of MP3's on filesharers and torrent sites that are originally sourced from eMu, and they're probably dumb enough to think that re-downloading paid-for files somehow contributes to the problem. They're already doing digital watermarking of MP3's on iTunes and, to a lesser extent, amazon.com, so I don't see that as much of a stretch, personally.

Anyway, that would also be yet another reason why eMu doesn't want to say anything about it - if they say that's even part of their rationale, they'd essentially be admitting that they're collaborating with UMG to treat their own customers as a potential bunch of "thieves."
  • I'm more inclined to think that UMG et al are still thinking in terms of digital downloads are the new CD so they want to turn the Internet into some sort of Tower Records and eMusic is the cutout bin and iTunes and Amazon are the racks. Trouble is that downloads won't save their business model. They are much like the TV/Film industry, lacking in foresight and utterly devoid of creativity.
  • edited December 2010
    @ ScissorMan - I know the subject of UMG watermarking some of their files with other digital download sites and whether or not UMG would be doing that with the new content that was being provided to eMu was asked at one point over on the eMu boards. I believe the question/concern was duly ignored like 95% of other questions/issues that are raised.

Maybe they are. Maybe they aren't.

I don't regret cancelling eMu. While I'll miss access to some stuff I think I want there is so much other stuff I didn't know I wanted out there (magnatune, bandcamp, etc...) that will keep me occupied just fine. I remember the way I even got into indie/alternative music in the first place was when I was in my first or 2nd year of college and realized that the music I listened to at the time consisted almost entirely of classic rock and of 'old' bands who had had key personnel die and would not be releasing anything that I would likely find as compelling as their earlier work (case in point, 'It's Hard' by The Who). I then made a point of cruising the stacks of the local record stores looking for things that were unknown to me but cheap and looked interesting. I got introduced to The Replacements, Hoodoo Gurus, Black Flag, Green On Red, and any number of new-to-me bands back then. I still have all that old vinyl and some day will get around to either getting my turntable hooked up and working with my stereo or getting some of the stuff that never made more than a blip on the scene in general back then converted to digital format so I can revisit some of the still hidden gems contained therein.
  • Brighternow,

Thanks for checking my profile! Also, fine to bold my post there. I also cut and pasted the post here (which I had edited a bit after posting) and sent it in an email to Cathy.

Looking at Wanderer's and Cinthebox replies, it's unfortunate that some people don't get that both businesses and individuals have a responsibility to make a positive contribution to the world and hopefully make it better for their presence. It's not just about getting rich so I can consume as much expensive food and goods as my gut and the environment can handle. What an empty life it is for those that only care about their own self interests at the exclusion of everything else. The ideal balance is to do things that benefit both oneself, their family, their friends and others. To leave any of these out of the equation is not only unecessary but eventually destructive.

Wanderer is clearly a troll, posting to gratify his own ego. Whether or not he is associated to eMusic, I can't say. I do think its unlikely he could be a member for years and never notice the boards, but then once noticing become a compusive poster -- generally only posting to make less of another person or their post. This is a case where he should ask himself do his posts provide any benefit or express anything of interest to anyone but himself.

Unfortunately, some people get more pleasure from pissing on other people then providing valued or constructive interaction.

ML