July Downloads

2»

Comments

• @Daniel - Funny, I think summer is perfect for Burial style dubstep! Seems to fit in perfectly with the energy-sapping oppressive heat, humidity and depressing feeling that I'll never feel a cool breeze again.

But then I REALLY don't like hot weather, so maybe that's just me :-)
  • I've spent more time restoring what was lost in a hard drive crash (good thing I backed up!) than getting new stuff, but I dipped my toes into We Were Promised Jetpacks.
  • Hey, Trevor. Dubstep strikes me as the kind of music you listen to while walking around rainy, cold London streets at 2AM. Interestingly, it's roots reggae -- one of the key precursors of dubstep -- that's tailor-made for summertime heat.
  • edited August 2009
    from amazon:
    The Field / Yesterday and Today
    Tori Amos / Abnormally Attracted to Sin

from eMusic:
    Johnny Cash / At Folsom Prison (Legacy Edition)
    Nellie McKay / Rumor Has It
    Camera Obscura / My Maudlin Career
    Common / One Day It'll All Make Sense
    Magnolia Electric Co / Josephine
    Anthony Hamilton / Comin' From Where I'm From
    C
  • @ Cumpulsive - Sorry to hear that. Data loss sucks. But you're starting back up with an awesome band!

@qwynwyn - I just started to dip my toes into Quantic over at Amie Street, what do you think of him?
  • edited August 2009
    @qwynwyn - I just started to dip my toes into Quantic over at Amie Street, what do you think of him?

I'm a fan of the Tru Thoughts label, and Quantic and his associated projects are stellar acts. I got a lot of his stuff on eMusic and amie street. I like Quantic Soul Orchestra - I'm surprised Tropidelico and Stampede are still cheap.

edit: I don't know how to describe his music precisely. Apparently, he had some trouble doing that in one interview: "You're asking the wrong person really, but some stuff is hip-hop-orientated, some stuff is at house tempo, but not necessarily 'house' music, some of it has a strong Latin influence, some of it has a strong African influence, and some of it is just a mix-up of loads of styles." Source
  • Dubstep strikes me as the kind of music you listen to while walking around rainy, cold London streets at 2AM

Yeah, it works for that too. Sort of all-purpose doom and gloom music :-)
  • @qwynwyn and @thom Quantic's stuff has definitely been drifting farther into Latin and, as best as I can tell from listening and reading interviews, is relying more and more on live instrumentation over sampling. The newest album, Tradition In Transition, with Combo B
  • I've never heard Quantic before. What is the best rec you guys have for an introduction?

By the way, before July ended I added a couple of discs from Amie:

The Last Shadow Puppets - The Age of Understatement: Heard a track on a mix that 68 sent me and had to immediately download the album. Rock and Roll + strings gets me everytime.
    Filligar - Near or Far: This has been a $3.00 deal on Amie for a few days now. It's not bad at all, but is pretty standard "indie rock."

Craig
  • edited August 2009
    cafreema - I say start with jelwood's likely favorite, if you're down with Latin-flavored music.
  • Who isn't down with Latin-flavored music? No one I want to know, that's who.

Thanks for the rec.

Craig