Why on earth did you buy that?

edited February 2011 in General
I just got to thinking about albums I've bought because of the album cover alone and wondered if this is common.
Of course this was in a time long long ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I made more money (as a hunter gatherer BTW).
I know there has been quite a few but the one that immediately came to mind and was probably my first leap away from good ol' Rock & Roll was Return To Forever. I was just out of high school and I guess I didn't look like a Jazz/Fusion fan as the clerk did his best to warn me away from it, letting me know that I wouldn't be able to get a refund, etc.
I was especially impressed by the slick finish of the cover.
It was my intro to ECM and Chick Corea. I loved it and soon after I went looking for Light As A Feather.
Flora Purim's voice still puts me into an altered state of mind and the thought of that discovery makes me want to go into debt to return to those exciting days of haphazard music buying. <sigh>

So, what have you bought this way, and did you get many stinkers? ...open any new musical avenues for you?

Comments

• Yes. Age 16, summer 1978. Kate Bush, The Kick Inside (the American cover is different from the British one). It was love at first sight; even better, it was love at first listen. Still feel that way.
  • I bought my first XTC album mostly because of the cover, and they turned out to be my favorite band ever:

xtc_go_2_cover_500.gif

The same would probably be true of The Chameleons' Script of the Bridge and the first OMD album, which originally came from the UK in a fancy die-cut jacket that I thought was very clever at the time. I vaguely recall having bought the first Dead Kennedys and Gang of Four singles (actually the Go4 one was a 4-song 7") because of the covers, or maybe it was because I just liked the titles "California Uber Alles" and "Love Like Anthrax."

But as for stinkers, I dunno... If you're excluding anything you hadn't read a review of, or heard about from friends, or actually heard in its entirety somewhere, then it's a pretty short list, and it would have to go back to the pre-internet days. At the moment I can only think of The Dictators Go Girl Crazy, which wasn't really a stinker, I just never listened to it after the first couple of plays. I also remember not liking the Stooges' Fun House until many years after I'd bought it, but I didn't buy that because of the cover, which of course is utterly hideous.

Also: I actually bought The Kick Inside because of a girl that I wanted to go out with in High School - it was her favorite album for several months. My clever gambit was a miserable failure, however... I don't blame Kate Bush herself for this, and in fact I've bought every one of her albums since then, but it was a fairly serious disappointment.
  • edited February 2011
    First two good ones - but a young lad I was with a taste for fantasy books which I think convinced me this must be cool - it was:
    61URXdPu2qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Figured the same slightly later, for different reasons, for this - yeah, it was too. Have to think about any stinkers...
    61eAaC6lJvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • edited February 2011
    To a degree I still do this. But I certainly did this on more than one occasion as a teen. Two most clear-cut examples were when I bought this album when I guess I was about 15:
    Classix-Nouveaux-Night-People-186373.jpgclassixnou_nightpeeps.gif
    based entirely on a suspicion as to genre and the perception that the gatefold album sleeve and picture of the band were really (*ahem*, not one my more enduring perceptions) cool. And that was at a time when I could rarely afford albums, so buying one was a largish leap of faith. Now that I think back with the aid of google, I actually remember laboring over my own pencil copy of the cover art from a single from that album:
    classix
    With the hindsight of perfected maturity and infallible present tastes I no longer listen to this. But the other example was when I bought the gatefold (definitely had a weakness for extravagant gatefold LP sleeves) double-LP edition of Jean-Michel Jarre's Oxygene and Equinoxe again with a vague awareness of genre but not having heard the contents:
    01xJean_Michel_Jarre_-_Oxygene-front.jpgequinoxe_hi.jpg
    and made two permanent additions to my listening rotation - I still think that these two albums - and their covers- are classics.
    I am still to this day regularly put off or attracted to albums on the basis of their art. Since it became possible to listen to samples it's a bit harder for this to be quite as absolute a leap as it once was, but it's still there as a factor, and bad art can, however illogically, even take the sheen off a downloaded music file.
  • edited February 2011
    Oh, and that reminds me - I bought this solely because of the cover as a teen, with no knowledge of the contents. I must have had a phase of liking ghoulish people. Have a vivid memory of standing in the used record store deciding whether to indulge the whim. It also did not endure, though I ended up liking a few tracks by him.
    Fad-Gadget-King-Of-The-Flies-319506.jpg
  • edited February 2011
    A big disappointment. Not as rockin' as its cover would imply....

ken-by-request-only-album-cover.jpg
  • I really thought this one was going to be AWESOME:

jesus_use_me.jpg

...but it turns out it isn't even metal. I mean, sheeeeeit.

And not available on eMusic, I might add! Must be one of those EMI bands.
  • edited February 2011
    @ScissorMan: Maybe they screwed up the mastering and you need to play it at half-speed.
    (low growl) JEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSS

Though with that hair, I would be expecting 80's Power Pop.
  • edited February 2011
    Amazing Grace by JC Parker and The Faith Tones
    - Can't get slower than this. . . JC = Jesus Christ ?

- Is this a transvestite band ?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwJupzNuAj7lRo63Gn3-h-1BDmsA9O3nVig22S0Zh5FuORM2-tkA
    - I was only about 8 years old.
  • Lauryn-Hill-366x400.jpg

I'm sure that there will be people here who like this, but I didn't. I bough the CD partly because I thought I heard it playing in the store, and partly because I liked the cover. It turned out that I'd been told the wrong title when I asked about what I was listening to. I played it once and have never played it since. I've still got it, I really ought to give it to a charity shop
  • edited February 2011
    If this[/img] were an album cover would you buy it?
    I would.
  • With jazz, especially in the pre-internet days, album covers were a pretty strong measuring stick of what an album would be like. Sidemen names usually appeared up front. Who took the photo could even give a decent idea of what the sound would be like. It's not like I could hear any of this stuff on the radio and then use that to make by decision. So definitely hits and misses from the album cover thing.

One though that does kind of stick out for me is James Moody's "Last Train From Overbrook".

51eDzAelkoL._SL500_AA280_.jpgc95084n7y8x.jpg

Both covers (first, the LP, second the CD combo w/ Flute 'n the Blues album) and the backstory behind the title, which centered around his alcoholism and his stay at the Overbrook rehab, I guess I expected more of a introspective sound from it, or maybe a frenetic-Mingus type sound. When I first put the album in, I was shocked by how much it struck me as standard big band fare. It lacked, to my ears, the level of emotion and the types of emotions that the album covers and titles led me to believe (in my mind) would be present.

This was a long time ago. I didn't listen to it for a long time. Now when I listen to it, I don't attach my preconceptions to it anymore. But back then, it was disconcerting.
  • Liege_Lord_Burn_To_My_Touch_front-20110216-103807.jpg

As an adolescent dumbass who was into D&D and Warhammer I bought many an album from Record Breaker based on cornball artwork.

Fun fact: I rode this bike to buy that album and many like it.

haro_1986-20110216-104813.jpg
  • edited February 2011
    The cover of this and the single Radar Love induced me to pluck this one out of the used bin at age 13. I had to sneak it past my mom into the house, although I'm sure she liked the song Radar Love too.....

Brenda Lee's coming on strong indeed!

GoldenEarring-Moontan-1973.jpg
  • Being a Beatles fan, I naturally had to check this one out too. Not bad, if you like My Bloody Valentine and the like....

51Vmpo4keoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • I just got to thinking about albums I've bought because of the album cover alone and wondered if this is common.

Heck yeah! I bet more people did this than like to admit. I can't think of any right now....my albums are packed up at the moment. I thought I was going to get rid of them. Now I'm not so sure.

Wait, I just thought of one. "Cheap Thrills" by Big Brother & the Holding Company:
    I have also been known to bet on a horse merely according to the horse's name.
  • Would I buy this one, you ask?
    Only if I could hold it. I really haven't bought anything because of the cover art for quite a few years. With digital downloads, it is just not the same thing.
  • ^ looks like the program that shows me how much space files are taking up on my hard drive.
  • That was my thought exactly. And that does not inspire me particularly.
  • 51e7YRJjMlL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    Kind of lame, since I did know who Toad the Wet Sprocket was, but the cover fascinated me and I had to have it. It's an OK album, but it turned out that the cover was by Dave McKean - known for having done the covers for the entire 75 issue run of Neil Gaiman's Sandman.

He also did this cover which got me into Download:
    51X6W%2B8fBVL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
  • edited February 2011
    I used to haunt a record store (when there were such places) that had some kind of deal, I think, with a local radio dj who would give them the promotional copies he couldn't stand. I still remember thinking this album cover was cool because you could peel back some of it, and the flesh of the fruit beneath was pink:
    41mC%2BYqE4UL._SS500_.jpg

edit: BTW, it was not a stinker at all. If I remember right, I paid $1.00 for it. New musical avenues? Oh, yes.
  • edited February 2011
    Just downloaded this because of its cover art. Not blown away by the music, though the first two tracks are quite nice.
    elpa61-front.jpg