Right now, what is burning up your ears?

edited August 2009 in General
What is blowing out your speakers, having the neighbors call the cops, melting your mind, or just assisting your groove right now?

I got a slow burn on with Let Me Be Your Man by Tyrone Ashley's Funky Music Machine. Soulful, vintage, dusty, and recommended.
Truth and Soul has dug up and polished a slice of history that is finally available for your listening pleasure. Culled from master tapes and that survived a house fire in the late seventies and was then shelved in Mr. Campbell’s home studio for close to thirty-five years, Let Me Be Your Man is a look at the raw soul and genius of a man who never stopped making music from the heart. Truth & Soul is proud to present a definitive collection of music from the one and only...Sammy Campbell. (Truth & Soul

Comments

• shiat. you have to know my circumstances. i live in a wooded/forested area with a long private lane that would spook a hangman. if i could position my speakers amongst the shrubs and trees i'd rob the breath of the old man next door by playing nick cave's "jack's shadow" in 5.1...quacky rec'd this and i picked it up - in this format, the opening chords freak y'er freak.

• Motorhead - did get a couple of albums from that other place. First 3 with Fast Eddie are still my favorites.
    Jeff Beck live at Ronnie Lee Scott's.
    And I am making a determined effort to go through my various Label collections, mostly blues and R&B stuff, like Delmark Records, Minit Records, Jewel/Paula or Fire/Fury boxes, Aladdin Records.
  • New Denver by Motel Motel, particularly track 4 Coffee.

Not the calling the cops part though, because my neighbor is a St. Paul cop.

Craig
  • edited August 2009
    Jeff Beck live at Ronnie Lee Scott's.

That's a good set. Have you seen the DVD? It has some stuff not on the album, including Clapton (yeah, I know, how many times do those guys need to play together, but at least they don't play "Further On Up The Road" for the 35,264th time), Joss Stone on "People Get Ready", and Imogen Heap on a couple of tracks.

I'm wearing out the new-ish Cheap Trick ("The Latest") and "Tinted Windows" by the band of the same name. Really nice power pop. Really. Nice. Neither of which are on eMu.
  • You know you can get the audio version of that Imogen Heap/Jeff Beck song, Blanket, as a freebie at Amazon. Last I saw it was #30 on the list of 500 free songs they have there - love that song. Jeff plays phenomenal backup on that track. The DVD had me just sitting there stupified in a very good way with an idiotic grin.
  • It's not really burning or blowing anything up but, I am loving the new Megafaun record.
  • from megafaun to megapuss

!!!
  • I downloaded The Lovin Spoonful's Greatest hits, I forgot how much fun their music was. And it's one of the good deals. 26 for 12.
  • Taking my newly d/led copy of At Folsom Prison (Legacy Edition) for a spin. Wow. I've been missing out.
  • I've got New Universe from Desolation Wilderness on right now and it is a refreshing change of pace for me with its reverb drenched vocals and guitars. The arrangements are bright, shiny, and mellow which is just about perfect for a lazy morning diddling servers and sipping black coffee.
  • Thom, I could have told you about Cash! I have the one concert CD, so when I saw this one on the new list, I grabbed it. For something different, try American Recordings from an older, perhaps wiser, Cash. I think all of the American Recordings are worthy, and his version of Hurt, on American Recording IV, is haunting. Maybe it's because I know his history, but it usually brings tears to my eyes. I have been a Cash fan for many, many years, from his drugged and drunk days to the very end. If you haven't seen the movie "Walk the LIne" -- it is a true depiction of those early days.

Now, what am I listening to? Yim Yames - Tribute To. A 6-song EP. The echoing tenor we know from My Morning Jacket, but not a rocker. It is quiet, introspective.
  • mommio, don't worry, I'm already a Cash fan. Just never bothered getting At Folsom Prison. I need to pick up the other American Recordings, because I have IV and think it's amazing. Outside of that I'm limited to The Essential Johnny Cash
  • Shifting gears to some nice stomping and angular post-punk with Future of the Far Left's Travels With Myself And Another. Stomping rhythms and shouting vocals are a great edition to a solid caffeine buzz. The music sort of reminds me of an obscene melange of No Means No, Minutemen, and Moros Eros sans the keyboard. I'm loving it.
  • Checking out the sh*t-hot 2009 version of J Geils' "Full House", recorded in Detroit, natch, over at Big-O:

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=268
  • Mommio that version of Hurt stopped me in my tracks when I first heard it. What a powerful recording. I've played it for a number of people, all of whom have also been amazed. (Unless they were just humoring me again, I get that a lot. But I don't think so in this case).
  • American V is probably my second favorite. The cover of "If You Could Read My Mind", originally by Gordon Lightfoot, is fantastic. It's no Hurt, but still really, really good.

Man I wish that guy was still around.

Craig
  • @cafreema, you made me think about Zombie Johnny Cash...
    screenshot_045_84RqKr.png
  • edited August 2009
    Interesting. I have a copy of the photo that's based on above my desk at work that I got out of the Village Voice years ago, nicely laminated with packing tape. It's says....outlaw, rebel, and if you don't like it, well, you know.

I cannot remember what TV show it was that used Hurt where I first heard it. I was at iTunes as soon as the show was over.
  • >his version of Hurt, on American Recording IV, is haunting.

This is absolutely true, but it is worth buying the CD for the bonus DVD, which has the video. I guess it is probably on a tube someplace, you need to see it, especially if you are a long time Johnny Cash fan. It will make you cry.
  • Johnny Cash - Hurt

There you go. And a stark contrast to the Quantic I've got flowing now.
  • Gosh, I'm sorry my YouTube "Hurt" link didn't work! It seems to work for me. Thanks, thom, for relinking.
  • Doh! Somehow in your links I missed the one to the video. It worked, my brain didn't...
  • I don't know if its part of the Sony drop, but the hidden gem in Cash's back catalogue is Bitter Tears: Ballads of the American Indian from 1964. The famous song from it is the Ballad of Ira Hayes but every song's a winner. Some Cash originals but mostly covers of Peter LaFarge (himself a folk singer worth checking out, and writer of Ira Hayes).

One of my all time desert island discs -- and I'm still amazed at the courage of Cash to do a project like that in 1964. He took out full page ads in Billboard slamming on the radio for being too chicken to play it. Heh. One highlight is "Custer" where he's clearly high as a kite.

Apache Tears on You Tube.

So if its on eMusic now, I highly recommend it.
  • NankerP, I remembered seeing it when I was looking for American Recording IV, which isn't here. Let me look.

Johnny Cash Sings The Ballads Of The American Indian: Bitter Tears. Only 8 tracks. I don't have this one on CD, so off to download I go, based on your recommendation.
  • Ira Hayes is a great track. I actually got it off of a four disk set I found when I first getting into Cash, called "The Legend".

I may well need that full disk though when my refresh comes around in a couple of weeks.

Craig
  • Found an interesting album over there, Men In Black - The Johnny Cash Sound that seems to be part tribute album, part homage perhaps. The song Marijuana, The Devil Flower I found particularly fetching but does anybody know if J.C. ever recorded this song? My depth on his discography is insufficient .
  • edited August 2009
    This and this.

Videos of Yair Dalal in performance here

Update : on further listening, I'm much less impressed.
  • Right now, some blues are burning up my ears. I might have to start a blues thread.
  • Today was all about Tradition in Transition by Quantic and his Combo Barbaro.
  • edited August 2009
    disfarmerk44868bre2p.jpg

Bill Frisell's new album "Disfarmer"
    Guillermo Klein's recent Sunnyside release "Filtros"
    Both excellent.
    Disfarmer is such a pretty album, keeping in the style of Frisell's "Ghost Town" and "All Hat".
    Klein's Los Guachos has a really appealing sound. He performs vocals on a couple of the songs (giving an impression of Vinicius Cantuaria's work with Lee Townsend), but mostly it's nu-jazz but with some elements that I'm unable to distill out and into a description that make this a special album.
    You can't get Disfarmer on emu, but you can get Filtros.