Right now, what is burning up your ears?

2»

Comments

• I had heard of, but never heard, Architecture in Helsinki until I signed up for the recent Polyvinyl deal on Kickstarter. Now I'm absolutely addicted to their album "Places Like This", especially the track Heart it Races. It's fan-freakin'-tastic.

Craig
  • Disfarmer and Clapton/Winwood Live from Madison Square, followed by Otis Taylor, White African.
  • Currently Kind of Blue by you know who. It's time I revisit my jazz collection from when I tried to be cool in college.

Damn is it a fine album.
  • The new Cub Country that came out today is pretty cool.
  • How is the Clapton/Winwood, TimMason? Well, I assume since its in this thread its good but I suppose it could be burning up your ears in a bad way. ;-)

I only just discovered the Blind Faith album and have been digging it a lot.
  • edited August 2009
    I hadn't bothered listening to Clapton in years, and then came across a couple of videos of him performing with Winwood - I still sometimes dig out a song by Traffic - and found them very good indeed. Loaded the album down from Amazon, and last night Marie and I had a very good evening, starting with the Frisell and ending up with Clapton/Winwood. At 10 Euros for 21 songs, why hesitate?

P.S. And for a few more coppers you can throw this in with it which will give you the place it really all started.

PPS A very long time ago, well before Mr. Springsteen burst upon the scene, I used to have a yellow labrador called Bruce. Do you think ....?
  • Morcheeba is burning up my ears.
    Dive Deep right now, but also the others.....if I ever sync my iPod, they'll be on lastfm in my profle.
  • I quit trying to track my iPod plays when I found myself not wanting to play music on the computer because I haddn't synced the iPod. Besides, the majority of what gets played on the 'Pod is Podcasts.
  • edited August 2009
    Too funny. I loooooove tracking my iPod plays, even when iTunes effs it up. Which I know it does, but when all those wooty-woot sleep easy hypno and stop smoking tracks hit, whatever.

I found myself not wanting to play music on the computer because I haddn't synced the iPod.
    Talk to me about this, hanh?
  • MUST listen to the entire Goodbye Yellow Brick Road before sleeping.
    It's burning up my ears, I tell you what, and there's bunch of odd skips in it, and I'm gld I've got the CD to re-rip.

And Roy Rodgers is RIding Tonight
    that is the track skipping badly ;)
  • edited August 2009
    I've been working since 4:30AM, drank too many energy drinks, summer has finally arrived in New England and I'm covered in mosquito bites and sweat. Dub Trio writes music explicitly for that scenario.

Exploring-The-Dangers-Of-by-Dub-Trio_Vb74-gOubTYx_216w_216h.jpg
  • Just picked up this free Boris remix track and I'm loving it!
    Be curious to know what the Boris fans here think of it?
  • One of my top downloads in 2007 was the self-titled release from Jonah Smith. I noted that his new release (arrived August 18th) was on a different label, so I did some searching. Another example of fan-funding to support the release.

This one has a bit of a different sound from the earlier one, but I would not categorize it as Country/Folk, no more than I would have the 2007 album. I do like this release, too. Talented man!

Jonah Smith - Lights On

Here's more from his 2009 Bonnaroo artist page.
  • I've been waiting for days to swipe my husband's CD of Eli "Paperboy" Reed and the True Loves. Then I find it on eMusic. Not only that, but when I import it, I discover I have a song of his already on my iPod from a CMJ compilation from December 2007.

I have crossed into that place where I can't even keep track of what music I have.

So, anyway, Eli "Paperboy" Reed has been on repeat all day.

Last week, it was Duran Duran's Astronaut, which is a worthy follow-up to their big '80s hits.
  • edited August 2009
    hola compulsive. you brought up something awkwardly near and dear to me...namely my wife's love of the '80s. she has already cast her vote to re-up our XM subscription on the simple fact that three all-80s channels are spit at us.

sigh.

i'm not particularly aligned to the 80s and our recent trips to dc + hershey, pa have stuffed me with all the howard jones i can use in my given time...that said there's ONE TRACK that exemplifies/personifies/crystallizes (chose as you will) the 80s sound that i can listen to almost relentlessly > "thursday" by asobi seksu.

with that said, what do you think of that track?

• edited August 2009
    For a while now I've been in serious lust with Faith and the Muse. I dunno what genre it is, but to throw some words out: (post)-punk/rock/darkwave/celtic. The problem is that the styles will vary noticeably even within an album. Speaking of the albums, my favourite is 'The Burning Season'.

You should have a look. Also, the track Sredni Vashtar (bonus cool points to people who know the story that comes from) is excessively catchy (to my ears, anyway.)
  • Listening to the new Jack Pe
  • brittleblood, I had never heard of Asobi Seksu - I like the backing tracks in the samples I heard.

As fox XM, I too have it (leftover from my husband). I rarely listen to the '80s channels because they get so repetitive. If I were programming XM all for myself, I would have fun programming

1) an industrial dance channel (KMFDM! Nitzer Ebb! Put on your Doc Martens, motherchuckers!)
    2) a covers channel. I love a good cover.
  • Kind of Bloop. If you've ever wanted to hear what Kind of Blue would sound like as a Nintendo game, there you go.
  • edited September 2009
    The Raveonettes are releasing a few singles to websites. Behold!

(tinkers with coding)

Behold!

Last Dance by the Raveonettes
  • Mariachi El Bronx, like Calexico got shit faced in Tijuana and cut an album in their underwear. Damn I love that album.

...and to every one who recommended Juaneco Y Su Combo's Masters of Chica I cannot express my deepest appreciation and love for you enough. For real.
  • Two in particular have me very happy. This first one was the affirmation I needed on why I took the shot at rejoining emusic.

omslagjesuis1.jpg

Klabbes Bank - "Je Suis la Mer"
    If you like the Esbjorn Svensson Trio, then you really need to give this a listen. Their myspace page has plenty of tracks from their last two albums (Mer is their latest).

And then this...

61OThqQA0yL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Eivind Opsvik - "Overseas III"
    Also with the E.S.T sound, but imagine a lap pedal steel guitar sitting in on the session.

Both available on emusic.
  • edited October 2009
    off of amie street - as froggie has opined, the slower tracks are noteworthy > adjagas

i'll one up that to say "siivu" is a song that stands alone.
  • jonahpwll: i searched for eivind opsvik on amie, and found "opsvik and jennings," and then, on the same label, found this album by Rich Johnson for free. Not sure if there's anything other than a coincidental connection there, but I listened to a few samples and it sounded like interesting improvisational stuff, so check it out.

currently burning my ears is HHHH by the Cortet, which is still a good deal at $.77.
  • jonahpwll: i searched for eivind opsvik on amie, and found "opsvik and jennings," and then, on the same label, found this album by Rich Johnson for free. Not sure if there's anything other than a coincidental connection there, but I listened to a few samples and it sounded like interesting improvisational stuff, so check it out.

It is the same Opsvik, though an entirely different project. Opsvik, I'm coming to learn, is involved with a lot of different projects encompassing a lot of different sounds. I don't know if they all hang out together, but there is an amazing group of jazz musicians listing Brooklyn as their turf, all involved in jazz but also a disparate sound within that genre, and also expanding out from it. Musicians like Opsvik, Jeremy Udden, Todd Sickafoose, Guillermo Klein, Jessica Lurie, Brad Shepik, and I'm sure way way more I'm not thinking of but who've I've been listening to incessantly. I don't care much for the Opsvik/Jennings, but there's a bunch of other Opsvik I'm pretty happy about.
    Thanks for the Rich Johnson rec. It's not quite what I'm listening to right now, but there was a time I'd be all over it, and probably will move back to that sound down the road.
    Thanks.
  • I've been picking up more Opsvik & Jennings. I got "Commuter Anthems" off of emusic. Also, their site and lastfm both have free tracks available, so I'm gonna use those as an excuse to pick up more stuff, both on emu and amie. I really enjoy Commuter Anthems; it feeds both my needs for some ambient electronica and experimental jazz, with some quiet folkishness thrown in as a sidecar.