Today was it

edited August 2009 in General
I officially quit emusic today. I could be bought back into the fold with a bribe of free 75 downloads, but absent that, I can't say I'm sad. I'm sad emusic isn't what it was when I joined, but I'm not sad to have left what it is now. Meh, there'll always be new opportunities for buying music. And I still haven't made up my mind about joining Limewire.

Comments

• I'm sad at all the changes over there, too. I have about 2 weeks left. I think I will be relieved when I hit that cancel button.
  • Somehow, even the passion of searching for things I can't wait to download has cooled. I'm not burning through them like I thought I would.

Jonah, I do hope that you will keep posting here about your finds, whether mp3 or CD.

Same goes for you, Katrina.
  • I'm hip. I got two months and I'm just meh on keeping up with the new like I used to. I just don't care anymore. Probably put a dent in the SFL and cash in my chips.
  • It used to be so much damn fun. Now - meh.
  • edited August 2009
    Exactly. It has seemed like a chore to listen to samples and decide what to download, lately.
    That's just wrong.

However, I'm still having fun posting here at emusers, and I echo mommio's comment that folks stick around.
  • edited August 2009
    I pulled the plug yesterday. What a ride...since 2003 or so...

CBCD is so right - it was a lot of fun, and then it wasn't. It's just not as exciting with the new price structure, and with the stooges having recently taken over the message board.

There are other ways to find good new music on the web - NPR, Archive.org, the Dime, etree, Amazon, other dl services.

Plus I'll have more time to get the rest of my vinyl and tapes ripped.

I will remain a lurker and poster, however, here with my other 'users!
  • I'm still junked out on a need for "new" music every month so I'll be sticking around there for awhile (member since 2001) but lately I'm getting more of my fill at Amie Street thanks to the credit sales. But as for the boards dying, they really lost me back during the conversion from unlimited to monthly caps in 2003, shutting down the boards and altering their functionality to its current crippled state just took the fun out of troll baiting and general digital jackassery.
  • i still can't find a less expensive site for obscure 60s/70s music than emusic and the Akarma catalogue is promising, so i will stick around awhile.
    the cut in downloads does give me more time to get back to vinyl ripping; converting "Tomorrow Belongs To Me" by Sensational Alex Harvey Band as i write this.....
  • I just finished ripping all of my XTC LPs. On Monday I'm starting on a prog rock binge beginning with my Camel and Caravan collections, then into the old band, Triumvirat, and who knows where that will lead...
  • Camel was the first band I bought from the import bin of my local record store-the one with "Never Let Go";
    that is still my favorite album by them. My wife is after me to record "Snow Goose" for her, so I too will be burning some Camel. Caravan is one of my favorite prog bands, I still remember the first time I heard "For Richard"-pure prog nirvana. Wasn't "Spartacus" the good one from Triumvirat? I loved that album.
  • Yes, Spartacus was great. The other one I have is Illusions On A Double Dimple - good but not as good as Spartacus. I saw Camel in concert 1975+/- and they were excellent. I only have Mirage, Moonmadness, and Breathless - always on the lookout for Snow Goose... For Richard - will be ripping on Monday!
  • edited August 2009
    ahh, takes me back to my 8-track days, "Snow Goose".
  • edited August 2009
    I have 3 days left.

I heard telephones, opera house, favourite melodies
    I saw boys, toys, electric irons and T.V.'s
    My brain hurt like a warehouse
    it had no room to spare
    I had to cram so many things
    to store everything in there
    And all the fat-skinny people, and all the tall-short people
    And all the nobody people, and all the somebody people
    I never thought I'd need so many people
  • "A girl my age went off her head, hit some tiny children"
  • This new release seemed to fly under the radar (at least, in my world). It's not as good as The Motion Picture, but as a Ziggy Stardust fan, I'm very very happy with it. Has a live version of Five Years and others that wasn't on TMP.

david-bowie-live-santa-monica-72-42.jpg

David Bowie - "Live at Santa Monica '72"
  • edited August 2009
    Hey Katrina, I tried to write you over on the message boards, but apparently once you've cancelled you can sign in but can't actually leave messages. (I wonder how tjlandcad does it?) Anyway, you should definitely sample Husker Du with some of your last credits, if you don't have any. Zen Arcade is one of my favorite albums ever.

And for anyone leaving take note: The Fall's albums on Cog Sinister are out of print and seriously expensive outside of emusic. So get 'em while you can.

[edit]: and it turns out I did leave a message; just had to sort by newest first.
  • Heh. When I quit, they offered me another free month (12 nps), no strings attached.
    No Hüsker Dü for me - Zen Arcade was album only, and I didn't have 12 nps left.
  • Today was it, again.
    I got an email offering me 75 free dls if I rejoin at their 11.99 package. I'm really really considering it. It was already a tough decision, but now a new album just popped up that has been absolutely impossible to get by cd or dl anywhere, and that makes the math even tougher to work through. I got a spreadsheet going, and looking at how the next few months would play out between what I could get under the new album-only architecture and the monthly cost (at various plan levels). I've begun working again, only temp, but I might find a way to justify myself a reward for the grunt work I've been pulling at this job. We'll see.

P.S. That album is by Gabriela (one name), and it's called "El Viaje", however emu incorrectly lists it as "Ei Viaje". In any event, she's this Brazilian singer songwriter with a wonderful voice, sings in her native tongue, and she's backed by Bill Frisell's crew, and it's produced by Tucker Martine. I've heard several full songs off the album from the Songlines site, and I've been addicted to it for years. Years! You should give it a listen. I typically hate jazz vocals, but this is one of those magnificent exceptions.
  • I'm glad to hear that their still making this offer, looks like I should get one in a couple more weeks.

The album you want is available at amazon, but my advice would be take the 99 downloads for $11.99, get the album you want and a whole lot more, and then decide whether you can/want to stay.
  • I'm glad to hear that their still making this offer, looks like I should get one in a couple more weeks.

The album you want is available at amazon, but my advice would be take the 99 downloads for $11.99, get the album you want and a whole lot more, and then decide whether you can/want to stay.

That's gotta be added at Amazon at the same time it hit emu. I probably browse Amazon a couple times a month for a handful of hard to find albums, and that was one of them. No way it's been there all that time. Good to know it's there, but yeah, at that price, I'm probably gonna use the emu cred to get it. It'd be one thing if it were the physical cd (which I do really want), but since that's an unlikely scenario, well, dl it'll have to be.
  • I'd rejoin, briefly, for a 75 np deal. Doubt they'll offer it to me, as I went to the lite plan.

Strangely enough, although I can't post except to change my own previous posts, I was able to DL a free track from
    Large Music 4.0
    Added: 09/01/09

This is one of the warts that is pure eMu. I still kinda love them, that they forgot they were supposed to cut me off from the free tracks.

Nobody tell them!!!!!

laughing, I know someone will be outraged and try to stop me from stopping them in their non-stop gargantuan gaffes

Nobody tell them!!!!!
  • I thought I heard Katrina. I KNOW I did. Nah, must just be my imagination.
  • I did mess up their message boards this early morning, replying to myself. The fun elf.
  • Yes, she's off to the Russians. Ha, ha, ha!
  • I still don't think I should tell them they are giving away free songs. It is not stealing, it's stupid business.
    Pouting prettily
    And they are stupid men. They don't have any women to guide them.
    Smacking their baby butts

What's that line from that movie? It's hard to get through a day without a rational spelling....
  • edited September 2009
    mommio, you crack me up. I love your posts. I always think of you as wearing orange and it suiting you....what is your fave color?
  • Honey And Salt, I ended up getting the rest of it with my eMu DLs.
  • My favorite color? It changes, according to my moods. I had a few orange tops when I was younger my hair was still red, then auburn, but now that I am gray, it's a bit strong. Right now I would probably say blue, the blue of the summer sky.

I usually think of you wearing either red or black.
  • I'm purple, coral and turquoise. Get on, you. I knew you had red hair, you minx.