Gems that are to be found on MTraks

124»

Comments

• I had no idea mTracks had Ghostly International. Between them, kranky and Fat Cat I could probably get a couple months out of them. Assuming they can swing by Micro Center sometime this month and buy another drive I'll re-join for a bit.

N00b Sysadmin reply: "But RAID systems ARE redundant..."
  • "But RAID systems ARE redundant..."
    Thanks for the first smile of the day, same statement my old boss made as he canceled a storage project for the Exchange server which, scant months down the road, saw its RAID shit itself. Good times, that.
  • I remember thinking that RAID was totally awesome and meant that data was completely secure from drive failure. Then I had a drive go bad and realized that all redundancy had just flown out the window.

The new storage system we're setting up will allow the bank to lose less than 30 minutes of work even if the data center blows up. Of course that depends on us configuring it right...
  • Yeah, the key thing to remember is that RAID is mostly about performance with a possible durability benefit depending on configuration. If data is your game (and isn't everything at this point just about data) then HA is what its about. Failovers, multiple backup layers, etc.

Speaking as a member of the fintech sector, 30 minutes can make or break some of the organizations in this space. Gratefully, I'm not with one of those! :-S
  • The 30 minutes is a rough estimate because I forget what the sync for the mainframe data is. It's actually probably less, but hopefully I'll never know for sure. Fortunately we're a regional bank that focuses on mortgages - even a couple hours would really only mean re-filing a lot of paperwork. Of course that could all change as we continue to modernize and expand.
  • Blargh, they just posted the new "lost" Bill Evans live set, and not a credit in sight....
  • edited June 2012
    How do you drive a jazz fan crazy? By putting the new Bill Evans live set on your site and not selling him the credits to buy it, that's how.

eta, Oops, forgot that I already whinged about that above...
  • edited June 2012
    Upon enquiring whether I can download and the status of my subscription, I received this response:
    mTraks is back up with limited functionality. We will be migrating over to a larger system in the coming weeks. Our new release and upcoming sections are not fully loaded and won't be until we complete the migration. Will let you know. In the mean time if you have music that you want under a plan, you will have to select a new subscription level to restart. Your library and shopping cart may have items in them that will not be available again for download until the migration is complete.

Thanks very much for hanging in there with us. If you know of others who are waiting please do pass this info on.

Best,

mTraks support
  • FYI - I followed up with mTraks since it has been well over 30 days since they said it should take about that amount of time, and this was the response:
    Hi Craig,
    We are migrating to a new infinitely expandable managed hosting. I expect the server provision to start within the next 1-2 days with stress testing taking another 1/2 - 1 days. After this we will start the migration of all of the content music, etc. We will be re-starting the FRESH imports after that process is completed. I am hoping a week to 10 days.

Thanks for hangin' in

Best,

Dey

Craig
  • edited July 2012
    I got the email quoted above from Dey Martin in early June and, since then, no response to my status inquiries. However, based on what I saw in this thread, i went back to the mTraks site, looked at my sub status, saw that I seemingly needed to sign up for sub again, signed up for one, got my card charged, and promptly found myself with 0 credits, with those credits to refresh on August 25.

I've sent another email to mTraks asking WTF, but, after a few hours, have not had an acknowledgment of my inquiry. I'll urge folks not to jump at restarting subscriptions until there is greater clarity about why a $20 credit card charge returned a monthly allotment of zero credits.
  • CwG: check that your billing information for both your CC and mtraks is up to date and in agreement.
  • BadThoughts, mTraks knew where to charge, and the charge appears on the issuer's web page as a charge from today, so, by all indications, I now have a paid subscription for zero credits, at least for the time being.
  • edited July 2012
    I guess you didn't check. Check to make sure that your address and telephone number are the same on both accounts. Something similar has happened to me.
  • Bad Thoughts, I am confused. The address and telephone number ARE the same on both accounts, and the credit card never changed, either. Did you end up resolving your issue?
  • Yes, I did. The zip on CC changed after I moved, but they still had the old zip on record at mtraks. I had the same problem--no credits, and a pending CC charge. The owner got back to me afer a few hours to explain the "glitch", and the charges dropped off my CC. Sorry our situations are not the same.
  • Followed up with mtraks, and asked straight out if they were actually going to be back. The response:
    I know it may seem like we're not, but we are. I am hoping all ready in two weeks. So sorry for the inconvenience.
    I love the service, so I hope this is accurate, but at this point it's to the point where I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Craig
  • Yah, given that they told you "a week to 10 days" on July 10th...May as well hope for the best!
  • The dreaded waiting on venture capital. Can you still use the service for their limited selections?
  • Sooo, those who have active accounts on MTraks, is it working yet? If I were to reactivate and buy a month's credit would I get to spend it?
  • Don't. I wouldn't do anything until we get an all clear email. I still have items I purchased the day before the crash that haven't reappeared on the site, so the migration hasn't happened.

Craig
  • OK, thanks. I guess their two weeks is on emusic time.
  • edited February 2013
    Just went to the site.
    mTraks is now closed
    Monday, February 11 2013 | Topic: Announcements

The mTraks music subscription service is now closed. Questions can be directed to support@mtraks.com.

It's now official.
  • Ouch. That was a painful death then.
  • Sigh, and another one bites the dust.

I guess I'll never get to download BNLX EP 7.

Craig
  • Or rather, Is now closed for the last year or so. Still have a post-it on my wall of albums to get!
  • Here I was hoping for a comeback. Mtraks was the closest I've come to the original eMu experience. Will be missed.

You know I haven't used Emusic since the Sony drop and my grandfathered account ended, but man, I miss it. Thank goodness Guvera's hanging on.
  • Awww, that's too bad. I only used it once, but always thought of it in eMusic like terms as well.
  • Guess I put off picking up kranky releases from them for too long. I've only got maybe 3 albums from them.
    You know I haven't used Emusic since the Sony drop and my grandfathered account ended, but man, I miss it.
    Tru dat.