What Are You Reading?

Comments

• My library is doing a "blind date with a book" thing for Valentine's...

BC_51ozCQAAaY94.jpg

So I picked one...

BDAAC8xCAAAP2__.jpg

I thought, "Hey, maybe this is The Road!"

BDAL8XYCMAA4iht.jpg

Looks like I'm getting in touch with my inner teenage girl this Valentine's...
  • @NakerP If you want to hear some cajun music and people speak cajun, stream this Louisiana Radio station, especially on weekends.
  • edited February 2013
    THANK YOU choiceweb0pen0 !!! I thought I had searched adequately for such internet radio but obviously not.

I'm reading

895918_t300.JPG
  • Bleak House, by Dickens. Really enjoying it.
  • edited February 2013
    51GPquGgUcL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

This is actually quite good. It's a combination autobiography and annotated lyrics. Certainly not for everyone, but a must for hip hop fans.

Craig
  • @denver - I have been picking away at Dickens' Barnaby Rudge for a month or so now. It was one I knew virtually nothing about, so it is a slower read that others. I read Oliver Twist over Christmas, but that was the third time through for me on that one.
  • edited February 2013
    51DeFBebGuL._AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
    About a quarter of the way through this, filling big gaps in my knowledge of American history.
    Also started reading Arthur C. Clarke's 'Rama Revealed', having enjoyed one of the earlier ones in the series and seen it for 50 cents at the thrift store' but it's so poorly written I doubt whether I'll make it through. As I belatedly look at the reviews, I see one reviewer put it well: "This is the sort of reading that makes you think longingly of scrubbing the bathtub grout with bleach and a baby toothbrush." Avoid.
  • Bleak House, by Dickens. Really enjoying it.
    Same here, it is one of those books I re-read every few years.

We are about to Netflix the recent(ish) TV adaptation with Gillian Anderson as well.
  • @Doofy She is also in a version of Wharton's House of Mirth.
  • Finished the Jay-Z last night, and tonight I'll be started:

t100_novels_infinitejest.jpg?w=260

So I'll finally be a hipster:

1354002631-1354002631_goodreads_misc.png

Craig
  • BDdvfJQCIAI16rm.jpg

Saw Ignatius J. Reilly while waiting for the train this morning...
  • @Elwoodicious: So he still lives, wonderful photo.
  • Awesome Craig. I really need to read some DFW. I have a copy of his essay "A supposedly fun thing I'll never do again" about cruise ships I keep meaning to read. My hipster cred is low.

Right now, I'm reading and alternating between liking and loathing:

51n70rNHYIL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
  • Pharmacology-by-Christopher-Herz.png

And

9780547595962_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Apparently I should be reading 2666, which I had meant to check out, or Proust, which I read volume of once, but found really boring.
  • @BigD - just saw your note from earlier this month where you mentioned finishing the final Wheel of Time book. Wow - I thought you were quite a bit behind me in the series. If so, you raced on to the finish line, or maybe I'm mistaken. (Thank you for not giving anything away! I'm on page 600-something and am having a hard time putting it down.) I, too, will be sad to say goodbye to the characters. Whenever I finish a Wheel of Time book, I'm always hesitant to leave that world and pick up another book by another author. I also agree with you that Sanderson has done a fantastic job.
  • edited February 2013
    @kez - I went through the volumes serially - it was my subway commute reading for I think all of 2012. Timing worked out well - I finished Volume 13 a month before A Memory Of Light came out (then re-read it to pass the time until the new one). At a bit of a loss now - serious reads in politics or history can induce drooping eyelids on the subway, or just produce agita - I'm trying to read Reckles$ Endangerment currently, on the housing/financial crisis, and fun it ain't. May have to turn back to the classics for a fiction fix.
  • Nice elwood. I really need to reread that novel!
  • Neil Stephenson's Anathem is currently part of a big kindle sale for $1.99. There's also a lot of Arthur C. Clarke (no relation), and a lot of teen supernatural romance.
  • I was on vacation, so I paused the other things I was reading, and started reading this:

13453029.jpg

Which is really quite enjoyable sci-fi/post apocalypse. Apparently it's a bit of an e-publishing upstart sensation. The anthology (parts 1-5) is $5.99 at amazon and over 500 "real" pages. Part one is also free as a kindle book, and was enough for me to be hooked. Recommended.
  • edited March 2013
    51aQmXWMO-L._BO2,204,203,200_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
    Got this when it was a dollar or two on a kindle deal. It's OK. Interesting premise of first encounter with aliens minus any actual ability to communicate or even construe what is going on beyond probably inaccurate and unverifiable anthropomorphic projections. Nice alternative to the common "we came half way across the galaxy and can learn to communicate with you in ten minutes" model of sci fi. Style a bit heavy handed.
  • sounds interesting amclark2. Just downloaded the first part.

51MUnm9oj2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
  • edited March 2013
    Enjoyed reading this well-written blog piece on how hard it is to write (irony #1), while procrastinating from settling down to writing more of a manuscript I'm struggling with (irony #2).
    Making art is waging war on all the inner demons and the outer distractions that would keep us silent and compliant in this world. But knowing all that doesn’t make the actual war any easier.
  • edited March 2013
    @amclark.....I read Wool this summer and found it very satisfying. The prequels are less so, probably because I know where the story is going. Another ebook I really enjoyed was Nick Cole's "The Old Man and the Wasteland" (Kindle link, 99 cents). More or less a post-apoc retelling of the Old Man and the Sea.
  • MrVMrV
    edited March 2013
    413Ncca0adL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX285_SY380_CR,0,0,285,380_SH20_OU01_.jpg

just finished this and just starting this.
    519K5N5rbjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX285_SY380_CR,0,0,285,380_SH20_OU01_.jpg

also this, in short bursts.
    513zjtvJJSL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX285_SY380_CR,0,0,285,380_SH20_OU01_.jpg
  • 51CZL7n37zL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX240_SY320_CR,0,0,240,320_SH20_OU01_.jpg
    Yuck. I felt like my brain needed a bath after finishing this true turgid tale of greed and corruption, the antecedents and culmination of the disastrous housing bubble that nearly dropped the bottom out of our economy. Highly recommended if you have the intestinal fortitude to get through this nonpartisan but unvarnished and highly disturbing work. The worst thing is that the scores of bad actors who should be wearing orange jumpsuits in federal detention are almost all pleasantly retired, or worse, still in office or in their jobs or positions of influence today.

Drastic change of pace needed after that, so I've begun a complete guilty pleasure indulgence - didn't know that before he did the Wheel of Time series that Robert Jordan had been "ghost writing" Conan books - what do you call an author who writes a continuation of a long dead, semi-dead, or undead series? My wife had brought this home from the clearance section of B&N knowing I had been a fan long ago of the pulp fiction originals.
    51dza3b-sQL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX240_SY320_CR,0,0,240,320_SH20_OU01_.jpg
  • OK OK I have finally started reading the first Wheel of Time book. I better not regret it, you guys ... ;-)
  • edited March 2013
    51lxPtJOQNL._BO2,204,203,200_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Just finished this. Enjoyed it a lot.Private eye crime story, but actually less about the crime narrative than the central character's fight for sobriety. Lots of good dialogue, thoughtfully written.
  • 51HsX18Ek%2BL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg

Started this last week, nearly finished with it, thanks to flying to Boston for a conference this past week. Really love his writing, especially his description of the landscape and contemplation of why anyone would want to live or at least spend some time in such a harsh landscape.
  • edited March 2013
    Douglas-Adams-Google-dood-010.jpg

___
    Added by Dr. Mutex: Many goodies to activate. Also, keep clicking the Guide.