What Are You Reading?

Comments

• 51t1MOZv87L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Really enjoyed this especially his insight to music and where it is going
  • Your Favorite Authors' Favorite Musicians

David Foster Wallace liked REM; Steven King likes LCD Soundsystem. No word on George RR Martin
  • George RR Martin obviously lives and breathes for The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Craig
  • lol @ Craig or Jabberwocky? Hmm or many epic poems

I was at a poetry reading this week and a student asked the poet about Leonard Cohen. The poet, Campbell McGrath, admitted he wasn't a big fan, mainly because he was more into the Ramones at that point in this life when other people were getting into Cohen.
  • edited April 2013
    As a way of promoting Dan Brown's next book, Barnes & Noble was giving away The DaVinci Code for Nook free. I read it, and I thought it was worth every penny I paid for it. They included a chapter from the forthcoming book, Inferno. It doesn't seem like it will be as good.
  • edited April 2013
    51gDW8Rw1NL._BO2,204,203,200_SY380_CR,0,0,285,380_SH20_OU01_.jpg

So, embarking with a little trepidation on another multi-volume epic. I guess this is in the same broad sphere of writing as Game of Thrones - but I like it better so far.
    Also finally joined Goodreads.
  • I thought somebody had mentioned Jonathan Lethem's Gun, With Occasional Music here, but if they did, I can't find it.
    Anyway, it seems like a thing some people here might like, and the kindle version is $1.99 today.

I'm gettin it.

[/doublepost]
  • 51xmjAVaHXL.jpg

@amclark2 - Lethem is a fun read, I have an early trade paperback with a version of this more goofy cover.
  • Just came back from this year's massive Wake County Library book sale:

Archer Mayor: Borderlines
    Orhan Pamuk: The New Life
    Ian Rankin: Rebus: The Early Years, The Black Book, Resurrection Men, Fleshmarket Close, The Falls, The Naming of the Dead, The Impossible Dead
    Peter Robinson: The Hanging Valley, Cold is the Grave

Almost all police procedurals, enough to let me tune out for two months, intelligent enough not to turn me into a vegetable.
  • edited May 2013
    51U-2%2BUHqDL._BO2,204,203,200_SX285_SY380_CR,0,0,285,380_SH20_OU01_.jpg.jpg
    Almost half way through the second volume. Still quite liking it in moderate doses, balancing its air of sleaziness, lack of admirable characters, and palpable maleness against its strong use of language, periodic insightfulness and overall depth of world building.
  • 51axT4os8hL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX225_SY300_CR,0,0,225,300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I borrowed this from the library. I read the first chapter and put it aside. It might be time for me to stop reading Brooks for now.
  • I'm still reading Infinite Jest, but I've only got about 100 pages left (and only 2 of endnotes). So the end is in sight.

Oddly, I'm not tired of it, which I guess is a good sign.

Craig
  • I'm nearly at the end of volume 2 of Bakker's Prince of Nothing and am really in two minds about it. Well written, interesting, at times absorbing, but also just wearying at some level, I think due to what I would tentatively call a general lack of compassion for the people involved (at various levels and in various ways, not limited to the dispassionate way in which various people are described meeting their ends and the general ethos of everyone cynically using everyone; latest example: the whole city is starving to death - oh, let's pause for a romantic interlude to talk about Serwe's breasts again).
  • Just finished Heinlein's Have Spacesuit, Will Travel, another one I inexplicably didn't read long ago. I'll probably start Infinite Jest next, although it depends on my mood when I pull out the Nook. I've got several unread books on there.
  • edited May 2013
    411BW%2BB1NCL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
    I've taken the plunge. I guess I won't be posting a new book for a while.
  • 51pkYQ-Fk4L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_SX225_SY300_CR,0,0,225,300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

One of the longest and hilarious prefaces I've ever read.
  • I was in a book shop earlier today and saw a special offer on a complete boxed set of Game of Thrones. I was tempted but didn't buy. Still thinking I might go back, but psychologically it looks a daunting amount of reading!
  • Come on, greg, you know you want to - don't worry about it, by the time you finish you'll have to start all over again just to keep it all straight. Seriously, though, if you have any interest it is a rewarding read, although I have unresolved feelings about volumes 4 and 5 - it will depend if Mr. Martin ever finishes the series and what he does with it. Direwolves, direwolves - the relationship between the Stark offspring and their direwolves is one of the most important elements that has been sacrificed in the TV series, but you can get plenty in the books.
    As to re-reading, these books are amongst the most interesting I've done because there are many little snippets and clues throughout that after re-read make you go ahah.
  • edited May 2013
    if Mr. Martin ever finishes the series
    Whenever I read something like this, I'm always reminded of one of my favorite jokes: "Book 7 will just be 1200 pages of snow falling on dead bodies."
  • Sounds like a Wheel of Time joke, Kargatron.
  • Sounds like a Wheel of Time joke
    What would that be, something like say "fists of trollocs"?
  • Finished! I need more time to cogitate on it, though.

Will now be starting:

12987606.jpg

Craig
  • edited May 2013
    Science fiction writer Cory Doctorow seems to have all his books available for free download from his website. The links can be found at the top of the page for the individual novels. Here's his latest, Homeland, in txt, although other file formats are available.
  • Last minute mental prep for the Vermont City Marathon this Sunday...

First...
    6289283.jpg

Now...
    2195464.jpg
  • @doofy. So true. Quirky titles are especially annoying.
  • edited May 2013
    isbn9781841495699-detail.jpg

Nazi necromancers from another universe. I love Charlie Stross.