Emusers guide to Ilia Belorukov

edited July 2018 in whirling dervish
As no one probably remembers, I have for quite some time wanted to gather all the excellent stuff posted on various threads from Ilia, on one thread.

k432j5jxvcr9.png
Ilia Belorukov (born 1987)
- "Ilia Belorukov is a musician from Saint-Petersburg, Russia. He works in the directions of improvised, noise and electroacoustic music. He’s a member of different projects with local and foreign musicians. He collaborates with artists who work in other musical directions (from hardcore and metal to academic contemporary music); with dancers and painters; with theater. Ilia practices an experimental approach of sound extraction on alto saxophone with objects, uses electronics and other instruments. Also he is a founder of Intonema label (www.intonema.org) and one of curators of Spina!Rec label (www.spinarec.bandcamp.com). Organizer of events in Russia, co-organizer of the Spina!Fest and Teni Zvuka festivals in Saint-Petersburg. He writes reviews for his own blog on Syg.ma, was reviewer of Contemporary Music, Music & Time, Topot and GEZeta journals.

Ilia had played with such musicians as Keith Rowe, Alfredo Costa Monteiro, David Stackenas, Radu Malfatti, Lucio Capece, Jason Kahn, Birgit Ulher, Ignaz Schick, Jonas Kocher, Gaudenz Badrutt, Stefan Thut, Arturas Bumsteinas, Thomas Buckner, Bryan Eubanks, Jack Wright, Andrew Drury, Andrey Popovskiy, Alexei Borisov, Kurt Liedwart and many others. Released his works on labels Copy For Your Records, Ilse, Cabin Floor Esoterica (USA), SOFA (Norway), Hideous Replica (UK), Creative Sources (Portugal), QuasiPop (Ukraine), 1000fussler (Germany), Mikroton, Intonema, Spina!Rec (Russia) and many others.

Comments

• edited May 2014
    - Starting with his brilliant new "name your price" album on Spectropol Records:

a3373438373_2.jpg
    released 27 February 2014
    - "This collection of acousmatic pieces from Saint-Petersburg's Ilia Belorukov melds electroacoustic, ambient-chill, and free improvisation into a unified whole. Granular soundscapes fuse with hypnotic pads, providing shifting moods and often a calm repose. Processed saxophone enters the picture, weaving insistent loops and beautiful lines through forests of gentle noise."

- To be continued . . .
  • edited July 2018
    The next in line was posted in 2012 on the N&N thread:

ea0o8zsft97t.png

Sergey Galunenko - beatbox, voice, electronics
    Ilia Belorukov - alto saxophone, laptop

- "Sergey Galunenko (aka Galun) is a musician from Moscow/Russia who's known for his experiments with live beatboxing processed real-time with his laptop.

Ilia Belorukov (b.1987) is a musician from Saint-Petersburg, Russia. He works in the direction of improvised, noise and electroacoustic music. He’s a member of different projects such as Wozzeck, Wooden Plants, Benzolnye Mertvecy, Punktieren and others. He collaborates with musicians who work in other genres (from hardcore and metal to academic contemporary music); with dancers and painters; with theater. Ilia practices an experimental approach of sound extraction on alto saxophone, uses laptop, electric-guitar and other instruments. Also he is a founder of Intonema label. Organizer of events in Russia, co-organizer of the Teni Zvuka festival.

Ilia had played with such musicians as David Stackenäs (Sweden), Lucio Capece (Argentina), Radu Malfatti (Austria), Ignaz Schick (Germany), Darius ?iuta, Arturas Bumšteinas (Lithuania), Topias Tiheäsalo, Janne Tuomi (Finland), Edyta Fil, Rafal Mazur (Poland), Thomas Buckner, Eyal Maoz (USA), Yuriy Yaremchuk, Alla Zagaykevich (Ukraine), Vladislav Makarov, Roman Stolyar, Alexei Borisov, Vyacheslav Gayvoronskiy, Sergey Letov, Alexey Lapin (Russia) and many others."

- Nexsound
    Last.fm
  • - Time for some more excellent stuff from Ilia:

tube270_460.jpg
    «The very last release of 2013 comes from a past test tube collaborator, Ilia Belorukov, who has amazed us before with works such as 'Still Fire' (tube147) made in partnership with Philip Croaton.
    Belorukov has a remarkable curriculum of releases, with many works put out by Clinical Archives, Nexsound and other outstanding labels.

Belorukov's 'thing' is very much into Electro-acoustics, free improvisation, free jazz and similar disciplines. He plays the saxophone (tenor, alto and baritone) as well as the flute. In this release he plays alto saxophone, enhanced with effect pedals and teams up with long time partner Andrey Popovskiy who plays the electric guitar with plenty of effects and also does some objects.

'Objectus Binominis' does not disappoint and has plenty of stuffing in its noise and drone textures to please every electro-acoustic and experimental music buff out there. I think it is safe to say that here at test tube we end up the year in big style.

Enjoy it and have a great 2014!»
    - test tube
  • Previously unposted (as far as I remember) - and speaking about Test Tube:

tube147_460.jpg
    tube'|147 - 2008

- "«In little over two months, Philip and Ilia from St. Petersburg return with a new Jazzy ambient release called 'Still Fire'. This new work is perhaps heavier on the dramatic side, thanks to some deliberate connections to a couple of works from film director David Lynch: Twin Peaks the TV series and Inland Empire, a 2006 movie which has a most convenient plot connection to Eastern Europe countries, namely Poland. Both 'Lynchean' works tell stories around girls who get into complex episodic troubles of some sort. Anyway, Philip uses some well placed samples to strenghten the dramatic tone of the Still Fire pieces.

This album is a lot different from 'Un[view]mask[ed]'. While the previous release was strongly supported by rhythmic patterns and loops - via sampled drums and bass lines, among several other instruments - 'Still Fire' is a completely beat-free ambient experience, with Ilia Belorukov's trademark sax punctuating occasionally the dense drone surroundings with distinct reverbed phrasings and sounds.
    If you're into space-ambient-jazz you can't miss this release.»

Now, Philip Croaton speaks of Still Fire:
    - «Still Fire was an inalienable part of my Unachievable – a dark, noise-drone album. And after I've finished recording of bass part for SF, I had an idea to put in this composition another instrument – saxophone. I gave first version of SF to Ilia Belorukov with a green light to making everything he likes into it.
    At the end we had a strong saxophone-based line as an add to minimalistic bass part, which became a powerful duet.

After some time, I decided to continue the storyline of SF. So I began thinking about a concept, and replaced bass with electric guitar. And because I really enjoyed Ilia's ideas on SF, I was sure that he would take a part on SF II.
    Third part of Still Fire became completive, generalized and fully independent of previous parts. It took all the best of SF and SF II with an extension of new ideas, which made it unique. Once again Ilia Belorukov took part on the writing process with some saxophone additions.»
  • edited October 2020
    Ilia has just posted two albums on Bandcamp.
    - previously released on the Test Tube Netlabel:

And also this gem, previously released on the Nexsound Netlabel: