Well that may be the end of eMu for me.

Comments

• It's all a diabolical plot. They'll get us all to panic-spend our allowances and then hit is with a booster sale.
  • edited October 2014
    Yes, I can believe that GP!! Later today I'm going through my SFL looking for things that got put on when I didn't have enough credits....
  • Twitter, 15.46 - 31. okt. 2014:
    @andrewmiller @syroy @inors Sorry about the site down-time. If you're still having issues, or were unable to use your balance, please DM us.
    - A bit late, me thinks . . .
  • They are likely way understaffed at this point.
  • edited November 2014
    Those still on emusic, if you agree it could be a good idea to separate out the music recommendations from the general complaining on the emusic discussion board, feel free to add your support or thoughts here.
  • Only if I can still whinge about about a booster pack sale
  • Oh, please do, there's a niche to fill there, because NO ONE is doing that.
  • Even though I'm no longer a subscriber, I feel like I should be compensated with free credits. ::heavy sarcasm::
  • ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

finally a sensible suggestion. i want free credits too.
  • also i want lebron james to re-sign with the heat, or to be a bust with the caveliers. whichever; i'm flexible. and i want an ipad. oh, and world peace.
  • I think what bugs me most about that thread on the other board is that it is in response to what looks like a move born of the business not doing well. It's like muggers circling a frail old person - you are doing badly so give me things for free and I might leave you alive. Except that here the muggers talk in terms of entitlement to services. The booster sales are nice, but begging for free things from an online vendor seems somewhere between shameless and pathetic.
  • There's a new jazz release by an artist whose name is Olivia Trummer.

And, of course, I'm flabbergasted that she didn't title her album "Control."
  • Ok, I rejoined. I don't know why the major labels leaving made me want to go back, or why their arrival pushed me away. Anybody who follows what I listen to can see I like a lot of major label stuff. Anyway, I'm giving it another try. Jonah, I could really use one or two 2014 album picks. I know you're always finding new things, but if there are one or two that are especially special, I'd appreciate it.

Oh and is there a booster sale, or is that just some board silliness?
  • The latter. The logic seems to be, There's no good music here anymore, you should have a sale so we can buy more. One is tempted to point out there were 2 excellent "twofer" sales in the months preceding the change.
  • I don't know why the major labels leaving made me want to go back
    I've noticed the same (not quite in the same way - I listen to very little from the majors except for ECM) insofar as I suddenly found myself feeling more identification with emusic again after the majors left. Almost as if it were going back to being the cool little store down the road that not everyone hangs out in and that you hope survives so that you can root around in it every now and then.
  • Welcome back to the fold amc2! Nothing much there has changed for people like myself and BN for years.... really since the change to Wordpress. Still a fair amount of good music available fairly cheaply
  • The site will be down for scheduled maintenance, November 12th, from approximately 3:00 - 6:00 AM EST
    - At least there is a warning this time.
  • edited November 2014
    Well, well..apparently emusic regard the pleading for a booster pack sale as a behavior to be encouraged:
    http://www.emusic.com/messageboard/viewTopic.html?topicId=317982#
    Starts tomorrow.
  • Some strange logic here. US members get a booster sale as compensation because they have lost the majors. The Rest of the World never had the majors so get no compensation, but did we ever get compensated for not having then in the first place yet lost labels like Domino in the process? Of course not. But it is emuisc after all....
  • Yes you did, greg. You kept your grandfathered plan.

Craig
  • Yes, don't forget our prices rose too.
  • No surprise from E Music re the booster sale in the UK, going to give it a couple of more months, clear up some of the stuff I need and then see where my monies goes
  • OK - I agree with that Craig and GP!! Although new members in the UK are paying 42p a track, which works out at $0.67, similar to US? I do wonder how long my current plan will last.
  • A booster sale only for US members. What bullshit and I don't care if I sound like a whinger.
  • Well there is a double booster sale now and I bought twenty bucks worth this morning so I hereby retract my whinge. ;-)
  • edited November 2014
    You want independent jazz labels, hey, I got some for ya. All on eMusic...

ACT Music
    Alfa Music
    Anzic
    Armored Records
    Asthmatic Kitty
    Auand
    Aum Fidelity
    Basho (UK scene)
    Bee Jazz
    Babel (UK scene)
    Brooklyn Jazz Underground Records
    CamJazz
    Camoci
    Challenge Records
    Clean Feed
    Constellation
    Criss Cross
    Cryptogrammphone
    Cuneiform
    Dazzle Jazz (covers the Denver/Colorado scene)
    Delmark (covers the Chicago scene)
    Dodicilune (folk-jazz from Italy and nearby)
    Dot Time
    Double Moon
    Edition Records (UK scene)
    Effendi
    El Gallo Rojo
    El Negocito
    ESP-Disk (old school free jazz)
    Eyes & Ears
    F-IRE Recordings
    Firehouse 12
    Fresh Sound New Talent
    Gondwana Records
    Greenleaf
    Havtorn
    Headspin Recordings
    Helsinki Jazz Undergound
    Hipnotic (Baltimore scene, IIRC)
    Hoob (Swedish jazz)
    Hubro (Nordic jazz on the fringes, beyond jazz)
    Igloo (entire family)
    ILK Music (experimental, Danish scene)
    Inner Cicle
    Intakt Records
    Jazz ‘n Arts
    Jazz Village
    Jazzhead (Australian scene)
    Jazzman Records
    JazzThing
    Jazzwerkstatt (good modern live sets, non-mainstream modern)
    La Buisonne
    Leaf Label
    Listen Closely (Austrian label, improv on fringes & jazz center)
    Loop Collective
    Loyal Label
    Mack Avenue
    Marsalis Music
    MaxJazz
    Mons Records
    Motema
    Moonjune
    Naim
    Naive
    NorCD (peaceful Nordic jazz)
    Northern Spy
    NotTwo (Vandermark and related)
    O.A.P.
    Orenda
    Origin Records (including OA2 and Origin Arts)
    OutNow
    Palmetto
    Pirouet
    PJCE (Portland scene)
    Plus Loin
    Posi-Tone (as straight-ahead modern as it gets)
    Primary Records
    Rare Noise Records
    Royal Potato
    Rune Grammofone
    Smoke Sessions
    Songlines
    Stunt Records
    Sunnyside
    Table & Chairs (Pacific Northwest scene)
    Thirsty Ear (Matthew Shipp and the like)
    Traumton
    TOAP
    Unit Records
    Whirlwind
    Winter & Winter
    Zoho
    1908 Records
    482 Music

And that's just the ones I remembered off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm forgetting some obvious ones. And that doesn't include all the self-produced albums, of which there are many.
  • Is it just me (I was not paying regular attention so may be under a false impression) or has the emusic message board rallied somewhat since the majors left? My impression is that the proportion of threads actually discussing and sharing music has increased. When I could be bothered to check in there a little while back there was sometimes nothing at all but complaints on the front page. Now I would say half the threads are in some fashion about sharing music suggestions. Has removing the majors rallied the spirit of independent music discovery a little? (Of course the community of such people is likely smaller than before the majors were added, and I suspect if I voiced this question over there it would trigger snark).
  • Yes I do think that you are right GP, but the complaints still do overwhelm the 'seeds of life'. Lets hope they continue to flourish
  • edited November 2014
    Are there no laws in the US about when you can claim something is on sale? I see emusic are back with a vengeance to the practice of taking a bunch of albums that were already cheap and offering a "sale" (see the endcap section on the front page) without changing the prices at all ( I know this because some of them are on my SFL with the prices manually marked). A few of the albums may be reduced in price but a bunch are not and this is the second consecutive "sale" where I have seen this. Why does this annoy me so disproportionately I wonder. I had a long argument with customer service about it once before. Maybe it's the "we assume you are an idiot" treatment that is implied.