Best Albums of 2014

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Hey, remember back in the day when we were all like, who's this Taylor Swift person and why is she top of the eMusic charts all the time?

From 2007: http://www.emusic.com/messageboard/viewTopic.html?topicId=30770
    and later: http://www.emusic.com/messageboard/viewTopic.html?topicId=104550
    and then tragedy struck: http://www.emusic.com/messageboard/viewTopic.html?topicId=151490
  • Thanks for those threads Nereffid - some names to remember amongst the posters! Whatever did happen to the Wanderer?
  • OK - I was wrong. St Vincent top of the Guardian list, shows how little I know...
  • The week Red came out, it accounted for nearly one out of every five albums sold. With 1989, Swift's percentage is even higher, grasping 22% of the total album sales for the week.

"I don't think I've ever seen anything be that high a share of the total market all by itself," Nielsen SoundScan analyst David Bakula says.

Swift sold 470,000 copies of 1989 at Target, which carried a deluxe edition of the album with six additional tracks. In other words, Swift sold more copies of her album at Target than the year's next-highest debut — Coldplay's Ghost Stories, with 383,000 — sold everywhere.

USA Today link That was for the first week. They also mention that she came close to the 1st-week record set by "Oops I Did It Again"...which sold more copies at 8% of total sales, back in 2000.
  • edited December 2014
    Thanks Nereffid . . .
    - The last one is really funny

Ah ! - and good old Wanderer, as seeeerious as he ever was. :-)

ETA:
    NPR: Tell us your five greatest pieces of classical music from the last 100 years
  • Miss Swift's empty spot is filled by Warm in the Wake's album American Prehistoric. I can't even remember why I put Warm in the Wake on my SFL list but they are one step closer.

Probably represents the feeling most of us have had at one time or the other when perusing our SFL.
  • edited December 2014
    50-31 of Tiny Mix Tape's list. I have 6 already (well maybe 5; I'm not sure if I have #50 - I think I do, but I don't think I've listened to it.) this is always the list I have most - I like their esthetic, and they deal with a lot of free NYOP stuff; probably better than any other list I know.

eta: actually all of the 5 or 6 I have so far were free!
  • I have 5, but only 2 were free.

Craig
  • edited December 2014
    I have none, but just started listening to 486669f0e9b8990384108f3d54c6a8f036adeb8bc7108f3d54c6a8f036adeb and am rather liking it so far.
  • P4K's 100 best tracks.

I believe I have 33 which is lower than my usual number, but I also usually add a bunch from Christmas gifts.

Craig
  • Fake Pitchfork's album list. I have 5 - 3 in the top 5.

The rest of TMT is up too; I ended up with 15, if I include a couple that I just picked up.
  • None for me on Pitchfork, thought there were going to be none on TMT, but - yay! - their number 6, Ian William Craig, will be on my list. I was starting to think the whole internet was going to have to wait for the MiG lists to find out about the good music this year :-).
  • 20/50 for me and my top three will be the same as theirs (although in a slightly different order).

Craig
  • The 2014 NPR Music Jazz Critics Poll

Top ten:
    Steve Lehman, Mise en Abime (Pi) 266 (40)
    Wadada Leo Smith, The Great Lakes Suites (TUM) 254 (32)
    Ambrose Akinmusire, The Imagined Savior Is Far Easier to Paint (Blue Note) 223 (30)
    Sonny Rollins, Roadshows Volume 3 (Doxy/Okeh) 174.5 (25)
    Mark Turner, Lathe of Heaven (ECM) 159 (24)
    Marc Ribot, Live at the Village Vanguard (Pi) 147 (25)
    Jason Moran, All Rise: A Joyful Elegy to Fats Waller (Blue Note) 135.5 (22)
    Brian Blade, Landmarks (Blue Note) 133.5 (18)
    Kenny Barron & Dave Holland, The Art of Conversation (Impulse) 101 (17)
    Jane Ira Bloom, Sixteen Sunsets (Outline/Pure Audio -13) 95 (15) *

Individual ballots at Tom Hull's site.
  • Four more album blurbs and an intro to write, and you will all be graced with my top 25.

I know you all wait with baited breath.

Craig
  • Baited breath? Sounds fishy to me.

Good for Steve Lehman, I haven't heard that one yet. Glad to see Brian Blade place. I like this LA Times list, esp since Orrin Evans and Smoke Sessions are featured! I just got the Osby/Tieneke album, based on this rec + Jonah's
  • Your a ass.

:)

Craig
  • Four more album blurbs and an intro to write, and you will all be graced with my top 25.

Hey, that's a coincidence! I just need twenty album blurbs and an intro and I'll have my top 20!
  • edited December 2014
    Just finished writing my blurbs and hope to have a top 20 posted for Craig's review by this evening. Though I have finished writing it and am still in four minds about #20.
  • edited December 2014
    And now Ladies and Gentlemen, The list we all have been waiting for is now in motion !
    The 17th Annual Brainwashed Readers Poll: Nomination Round
  • edited December 2014
    Boomkat (their #15 and 26 are on my list too)
  • I have 4 of Boomkat's and 2 will be on my list when it goes up tomorrow.

Craig
  • Two from your list and two from mine - that's probably a feat.
  • Yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb and say it'll be the only list where that's the case.

Craig
  • edited December 2014
    Just realized exactly none of the top 10 albums in the NPR jazz poll are available on eMusic. Ouch. Most were, before the recent purge.

More show up further down the list, which is where the fun is anyway.
  • Mine has begun...

http://www.birdistheworm.com/best-of-2014/

I'll be revealing 5 per day thru the 31st, when I reveal the BitW Album of the Year.

This page linked to above is where all the individual posts will be compiled.

Cheers.
  • Thanks, Nereffid, a few things there that sound as I should give them a listen.