Well that may be the end of eMu for me.

Comments

• edited January 2015
    Nothing for me, hopefully these are rolling thank-yous and I will get it later. But with my luck it will be $100 is AmieStreet Credit.

I did notice there was no free track of the day for two days in a row. That is not a particularly good sign.
  • Nothing for me :-(
  • Not a penny for me either, good luck to those who did get it
  • Nothing on either of my accounts, sob.

Though I suppose if everyone got one, it would be a sure sign emusic was giving away the store.
  • Complained about a defective track this morning, and the automated response included this:
    We sincerely apologize for any delay with your response. Due to a large jump in email volume, it may take up to 72 hours or longer before you receive a reply. We will endeavor to respond to your email as soon as we possibly can. We appreciate your patience.
    Must be a lot of "hey, where's my 100 bucks??" mail...
  • It's like a lottery; put in your monthly money, you might lose it all, or you might get a randomly assigned $100.

#elotto #blotto #monies
  • No Courtesy Credit for me either, I've been a member since 2003.

I used to wait until just a few days before my credits renewed to do my monthly download. "Maybe something really cool will get added, I'll wait until the last minute."

Now I'm doing my downloads as soon as my balance renews. "I hope I'm able to use this months credits before emusic goes belly up."
  • Rats. They've blocked the daily download. I know it just wasn't there for 2-3 days, but now my tricksy method doesn't work.
  • Katrina, this worked for me today:

http://www.emusic.com/dailydownloads/toolbar/main.html

FWIW I'm in the U.S.
  • edited January 2015
    Could someone answer a quick question for me please, if I buy an album form the USA through bandcamp, would I be charged a currency conversation charge on the transaction, I did notice that looking at a price of $5 Bandcamp wanted me to pay £3.21, however if I pay through my debit card I wondered if the bank charges would apply or do Bandcamp cover it.

A good answer could mean the end of e Music for me

I forgot to add to those that don't know I am in the UK
  • edited January 2015
    This is not an authoritative answer, but for what it is worth, when I buy things on bandcamp that are in GBP or in Euro I always use PayPal and the way that works is that (1) Bandcamp tells me what the album will cost converted into USD, (2) when I get to payment on PayPal, the amount is usually slightly different, so it looks like PayPal is doing its own conversion at the point of payment rather than just pulling the U.S. currerncy amount from Bandcamp. It does mean that the charge to my back account is in USD, but I think that is because PayPal is doing the converting, or maybe because PayPal is adding a margin for converting. I don't know what that means for credit card fees, but I do suspect it means that your source of payment is having to do some converting.
  • I was just going to mention that for PayPal transactions, it's Paypal and not Bandcamp handling the conversion charges. It would make me assume that it would be up to your credit card whether or not to charge a conversion fee.

I read this whole thing a while back on the Bandcamp blog... or maybe it was a FAQ on their site... but haven't yet retrieved it.
  • Thanks Plong & dell, it started working again today.
  • edited January 2015
    No extra credit for me from emusic - shame! I had a couple of holds last year, maybe that is why?

Lowlife - when paying with credit card I have in the past had a currency charge from Bandcamp, but the most recent transaction for Jason Parker's new album was just a straight conversion. For a while I stopped down loading non £ albums from Bandcamp as a result of the extra added. It may be my credit card company though, because with this card I don't get a conversion charge when using it in the Euro Zone on holiday.
  • From the discussion board over there, there is obviously a lot of unhappiness from those who didn't get the large bonus. I wonder why they didn't spreads it 10 times wider with a $10 bonus? Some explanation might help, but I suspect there is no-one left to do it!
  • it would not surprise me if the whole thing was a technical glitch and someone mistakenly added an extra zero to the courtesy credit amount!
    Latest crackpot theory...Or is it?

Reading through the eMu Board this morning, I found the Hollies' King Midas in Reverse running through my head...
  • I actually think that is one of the most likely answers, Doofy!
  • Thanks Guys for getting back to me, best to check with my bank as the percentage they take for transactions across the world has been very small. I am finding lots of stuff on Bandcamp that is not available on E Music, an example being Luke Howard's solo albums which I have been playing a lot and are not even available through 7 digital or Boomkat.

I am paying £17.99 on E music a month and looking at my total spend a month of about £30 or so I am starting to look at where the money should be going.
  • Considering how much credit they've just given away, I'm a little peeved that they only gave me a single credit as refund for the bad track I reported recently. In the past they've refunded for the whole album.
  • Feeling overloaded with too much music again, I just cancelled my emusic account. They gave me a free month's credit to reconsider. I only rejoined three months ago! Oh well I'll take it.
  • Just to mention, since so many regulars are no longer eMu members, they announced the return of Merge Records this week.  So still some signs of life over there.  New booster pack sale along with it.
  • No booster pack sale here, but great to have Merge back. Some downloads on the way!
  • Ooh, that's tempting!
  • That is good news. After stopping Drips, I went back to emu for a few months, but just put it on hold for the summer. I hope it's a sign of other indie labels returning.
  • Among this week's new jazz releases, consarn it.

Oh well, at least it's not classified as Reggae
  • edited July 2015
    Funny seeing the title of this thread again - I've been pulled back a fair way from the precipice lately. This past week I bought two three-disk Vivaldi opera sets for $6.49 each. Between them they had three defective tracks (out of maybe 120 total), which I reported, and to my surprise emusic refunded the full price of both album downloads. 

Then I went looking for the Rachel Podger two disk La Cetra set and found it (mis?)priced at $1.40, and added another two disc cello concertos set that I was specifically looking for at $4.54 (see mispriced thread). 

I should add that I have a lot of credit right now from two-for-one-boosters, so I am really only paying half of the purchase price. So by the end of that little splurge I had ten disks worth of material on four different releases that are all high end (not bargain collections on dubious labels but noted releases with strong reviews), minus three defective tracks, and had in real money spent $3. 

Three. Dollars. 

Emusic can still be quite the bargain. I think I'll stay for now.
  • I'm enjoying that buck-forty Holland Baroque Vivaldi set right now as a matter of fact, so thanks for pointing that out.  I too feel I've made out like a bandit on the booster pack sales...Have really gotten used to having some eMu monies in the bank in case something strikes my fancy. 
  • Looks like you are getting some good bargains. I can't complain, as under the UK system, I get 100 tracks per month for 20p per track - that must be about 30 cents at current exchange rates. We don't get such good booster packs - the best deal works out at about 35p per track and of course we are track priced. But compared to virtually all alternatives - iTunes, Amazon, Google Play etc - emusic is incredible value for money, especially as prices at the other places are beginning to creep up.