Spotify

12345679»

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Hmm, looking now it seems like you are right. I wonder if I somehow hit an old cached version of the help pages, because I know I read something about erasing the other content on your ipod...Can't see that now. Odd.
    That's good then.
    ETA, ah, seems I was reading this section:
    https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/guides/#!/article/How-to-sync-iPod-with-Spotify
    which does say e.g. "To no longer sync your iPod you can resync with iTunes. Note: doing this will erase all content from your iPod."
    But I think it's just talking about non-iOS ipods, not the iPod Touch.
    OK, then.
  • edited May 2015
    I think I mentioned before that right after getting three months of Spotify Premium for a dollar I got three months of Google Play Music for three dollars. Well a couple of months in I am thoroughly unimpressed with the latter. It works about half the time on the PC. The stream keeps freezing or will not even start at all. This is on two different very fast internet connections, on which at the same point in time Spotify streams flawlessly, so there is no bandwidth issue. Tonight Google Play works intermittently in Internet Explorer but not at all in Google Chrome!! The $3 trial is just leaving me increasingly irritated...
  • Oddly enough, my problem with Google Play Music last time was too high of quality. I had a hard time limiting the bandwidth used and it was crushing my data limit.
  • Looks like Spotify free may go away. Apple has been putting a lot of pressure in the hopes of their purchase of Beats streaming service. 
  • Heh. Kind of ironic for me, as my brother-in-law is an Rdio devotee, and has expressed amazement that I (or anyone) still subscribe to eMusic.  Certainly I know which I would have bet on to go bankrupt first...
  • edited November 2015
    Yes, I do wonder whether one of the hidden morals here is that when some online services seem much more slick and together than others it is because they have been spending lots of money they don't have and are heading for a cliff, whereas the emusics that bumble along in more or less hapless semi-functionality are at least apparently managing their budget.
  • I was a big fan of Rdio, and am very sad to see it go. It had the simplest, most direct and album-oriented interface, and only cost me $5/month (desktop only). A steal. In the end I blame Napster, which established the $0 price anchor, and caused a permanent undervaluation of the incredible value of streaming (which, in my view, deserves a $15-20/month subscription street price).
  • Interesting that for the moment, this year's and probably next year's top selling album will not be available via streaming services. Like Taylor Swift before her, Adele has decided that 25 will not be on Spotify or elsewhere, but only available for purchase. I saw an interview on TV where a distraught 20 something woman was complaining that it was the first time in her life that she had actually paid to buy music, as though the world was about to end. As someone who regularly buys his music, my sympathy is with Adele, Taylor Swift etc. OK they are multimillionaires but there are many more impoverished musicians unable to protest about the low amount Spotify and others pay artists.
  • Quite right Greg,

For me I stream through Bandcamp, NPR and other outlets whom give me the chance to listen before I buy music, I want to own music and for it not to be in the hands of corperations whom can take it form me at their whim

• edited February 2016
    Speaking of Spotify, as I was in another thread...Was ECM there recently, but now gone? I signed up for a trial around Christmas, and started a playlist to check out the year's ECM releases. Now the playlist is empty, and none of the albums show up in search. (As Lowlife says above, I guess they can "take it away at their whim")
  • I was offered Spotify when I got my Sonos, decided not worth the pain of dealing with them, plenty of good music and radio stations to keep me going
  • I'm no shill for Spotify, though I have an ad-free account, but there's just short of 105 hours of ECM playlist music available to me here in Blighty, I guess Doofy is in the US or otherwise damned by his non-European location? Wouldn't it be nice if it was a level playing field; but then I guess lawyers would be left starving in the gutter;-)
  • ECM was there before Xmas.  It was there I tell you!  Or was it...?  Anyways, ain't there now
  • ECM is getting harder and harder to test-listen to. I love a lot of their stuff, but it's not automatic, and since they are not cheap either I appreciate the chance to plan purchases by listening ahead. (That's the only kind of reason I ever use streaming services).
  • I think ECM's distributor must be different in Europe from USA, as we can still get ECM albums on emusic, generally 3 or 4 months after release. That might also explain a difference in Spotify between the two markets.
  • I think it's self distributed in Europe and major label distributed in the US... Wikipedia says:

"The label was distributed in the USA by Warner Bros. Records, PolyGram Records, BMG, and, since 1999, by Universal Music, the successor of PolyGram."

Which makes sense with when emu got it then lost it...