What are you listening to right now? (15 Flies in the Marmalade)

Comments

• edited November 2016
     httpf4bcbitscomimga2292969587_14jpg   
    released November 24, 2016 as "name your price"

:)

• Berlin Soundpainting Orchestra - "Holothuria"

There's some cool shit on the Aut Records label.  Digging in now.

On Bandcamp - https://autrecords.bandcamp.com/album/holothuria

• Fogh Depot.
    Thanks BN, I am enjoying this.
  • - Welcome  . . . :)

• edited November 2016

• The Beatles - 1
  • edited November 2016
  • On the one hand I don't need to jump on every new album with a bunch of great old jazz names on it, but on the other hand...

A Place In Time
  • A Tribe Called Quest - We Got if From Here... Thank You 4 Your Service

They definitely got it from here.

Craig
  • edited November 2016

Frank Perowsky Jazz Orchestra - "An Afternoon in Gowanus"

All kinds of talent on this one.  Solid straight-ahead big band.

On Bandcamp - https://frankperowsky.bandcamp.com/album/an-afternoon-in-gowanus

• edited November 2016
    Another 2016 notable death.
    What a year...

• rostasi said:
    In the UK the Emusic d/l is the same price as the vinyl. I wouldn't mind so much but I already have the earlier set. I'm sure there are more prime 1960-1980 albums that could do with a proper re-issue without going over recently re-released material. Not that I don't like it but...
  • rostasi said:
    Another 2016 notable death.
    What a year...

And that is a great album of early work. On Spotify for the curious.

• edited November 2016
    djh said:
    In the UK the Emusic d/l is the same price as the vinyl. I wouldn't mind so much but I already have the earlier set. I'm sure there are more prime 1960-1980 albums that could do with a proper re-issue without going over recently re-released material. Not that I don't like it but...
    Oh! You really should re-consider - maybe even sell the Evidence set if you want.
    Read this and maybe you'll see why:

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2016/11/21/sun-ra-feature/

Pauline had always been nice to me whenever I saw her, but she was such a very stern woman - 
    which is kind of unexpected when you think about the music she introduced to many generations
    of listeners.

A funny story: when I was a young man around 11 or 12, I had already owned her work,
    "I of IV" on the LP with Reich's "Come Out," but the piece that really made me kind of
    "fall in love" with her was a piece for flute, string bass, and percussion called "Outline." 
    At my young age, I was dreaming of meeting this composer with the lovely name "Pauline"
    and had decided that she had to have been young and beautiful if she wrote such fantastic, 
    creative music - ha! No, it didn't really make any sense ... and later finding out that her rather
    "manly" looks were part of her lesbian proclivities - ha - oh man, I was soooooo surprised - ha!

She left us with some wonderful music - and I suppose that's really another bright side of creativity - leaving memorable work for the ages and future generations to discover and enjoy.

• edited November 2016

- And rest in piece . . .

• Breakfast In America

A long time favourite
  • Image result for judith weir the welcome arrival of rain

From the recent eMusic NMC sale. 
  •  
    released May, 2016

• Yes, the one directly above is the same recording "officially" released.
  • Yeah, that is what I thought might be the case, thanks for the clarification.

Pauline Oliveros's "The Well and The Gentle" (1983)
    Martha Cargo, flutes
    Sky Macklay, oboe
    Somna M Bulist, harp
    Ben Richter, accordion
    Joe Tucker, percussion
    Damon Loren Baker, percussion
    Hannah Levinson, viola
    Joshua Morris, bass
  • rostasi said:
    djh said:
    Oh! You really should re-consider - maybe even sell the Evidence set if you want.
    Read this and maybe you'll see why:

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2016/11/21/sun-ra-feature/

Oh you know I'll buy the cd; in fact almost did just now but being in the mail order game I don't like over £9 shipping for a small digi-pack box posted from London to London. I still think that they over sell it's importance but taking the material from master tapes would have won me over. One of the lessons here is that I'd already read that review, but the first time it moved me not a jot; Sunday mornings are of course a different kettle of fish.

Nice story about Pauline, youth eh?

• Soul Jazz Records Presents PUNK 45 Les Punks The French Connection The First Wave Of Punk 1977-80 album cover
    Rise of Orion album cover
    New releases I am listening to this weekend
  • edited November 2016

Deine Stimme in meinem Kopf
    Alvin Curran - Pauline Oliveros - Mia Zabelka
    2007 / Extraplatte / EX 707-

Mia Zabelka at Emusers
  • My house is sprouting indoor trees, so A Charlie Brown Christmas is being played.

My wife gets mad when I try and play anything but Christmas music the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  I try anyway.

Craig
This discussion has been closed.