Are you going to stay with Emusic undercover?

edited July 2009 in General
I think I will sign back up when finances get better because it is still a good deal overall.
AND I can't go buy all the indie things I found on Emusic.
I wouldn't admit to it elsewhere, but I would like to download some of the new stuff.

Oh, I killed a rattlesnake at my back porch last Thursday. Please don't hate me for that.
You should have seen my dog Sheba when she was bitten on the face 3 years ago.

Comments

• bjb - i think killing the rattlesnake was a sign sent from he who must not be tokin'.
  • I downloaded a couple of things -- When Harry Met Sally - songs from the soundtrack. I love that movie.

Also that rec from JUJ. I think it's okay to say you want to download some of the stuff. The big drawback is having to put up with you-know-who's gloating if you mention it. By the way, he has been strangely absent today.

I went to Best Buy on Sunday for some of the 100 download cards. I want to make the best of them, so I'm trying to decide exactly what I want. I plan to greatly downsize my subscription this fall, if I don't leave, that is. I do want some classical, but the ones I want are so costly in terms of credits. I felt the same way before the change, so Sony has nothing to do with it. It's just that being on a fixed income has me thinking about other ways I could spend the money.

Isn't having to think long and hard about how much something costs a major bummer? Not that I didn't think about it before, but I think about it a lot more these days than I did before retirement. Hey, but that doesn't keep me from enjoying my days. That part is so fine.
  • Hey. It's great to see everyone here, and Mutantis's new on eMusic posts. That made me laugh, but it's great. I put my eMusic account on hold, but the 12-track album pricing ticks me off. It is beneficial on some albums but it seems like insult to injury on top of the other changes. I'm going to cancel and I may cherry-pick to get some things and cancel again. For me, they need to attract some more indie labels now.
  • hey trips! welcome to xtrev's pleasure den of the absurd!

as always, look but don't touch.
  • Well...a little touching is probably OK...
  • No, I'm leaving after I get those 25 extra "credits" in August. It's a matter of principle.

F 'em.

Welcome, JoeyJoJo!!!
  • I'm leaving after the 25 credits in August, too. I already changed my plan to eMu Lite, so I better still get the 25 free.
    Their page didn't say anything about continuing my sub at the current level in order to get them...just said I needed to continue my sub. Typical emu, doesn't say an exact date - just "early August".

Like JoeyJoJo mentioned, I can always resub up for a month if there's something I really must have from them.
  • If I didn't have an annual plan, I would be canceling right after the bonus pack. As it stands, they have until February to convince me to stick around. If anything I might just pick up some of those 100 d/l cards to use here and there at that point.

And yes, I will pay more money to get things elsewhere if they continue with this shitty customer relations. I have no problem supporting good businesses who charge more money.
  • That's the same reason I rarely shop at Walmart or Home Depot. The ones around here only have one or two cashiers working the lanes, and the remaining 10 are set up as self-check lanes, which is ridiculous. I tend to go to the smaller hardware store or Target. But I digress.

I saw a couple tracks that I will be able to cherry pick from the Sony stuff, like Patti Smith's "Pissing In A River".
  • As a side note (because side notes are fun) I never got into Patti Smith until I saw her live. Goddam what an amazing performer. And she was already in he 50s at the time.

"Hey, I guess they're right. Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose."
  • edited July 2009
    Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose.

Hey, now! Watch it, sonny.

Oops. Edited to add a big smile so my intentions are more transparent.
    ;=}
  • I'll be sticking around, but severely downsizing.

I currently get 180 tracks a month, but when the subscriptions end in 4 months I'm down to 50 or less. I will probably stick on the boards, but it will then be a very occasional thing - maybe visit it once a week. I'm mainly sticking around to grab all those 20-30 track albums that are now capped.

It will give me an opportunity to actually listen to more of the music I've gotten from the CC cards last year and Amie Street. It certainly won't be the same place with everyone leaving.
  • No, I'm going to lurk on emusers undercover.
  • I'll still be there, but I joined very recently so the extra $5 a month for my 50 downloads isn't a huge deal. It will be very rare that I download Sony though. My SFL is far too long with just indies to get through it and keep up with the new stuff.

Craig
  • a fellow twinkie fan! i happen to have a ball signed by the greatest sports name in american sport's lore...it was tough not to name either of my boys after him...i got too much friction from my better half on yoakam and twitty as well. sigh.
  • Okay 68

There are so many greatest sports names in American sports lore that have to do with balls, playing with them or otherwise manipulating them. Which one?
  • Since he's talking Twins I'll throw out a couple of guesses: 1) Mudcat Grant; 2) Bombo Rivera; 3) Zoilo Versailles; 4) Rusty Kuntz; 5) Kirby Puckett; and 6) Harmon Killebrew (in case you weren't being faceitious).

On another point, who's the enigma here 68? You just responded to a post of mine from another thread in this one! I believe you're the tough one to figure out. :)

Craig
  • ding ding ding. number 6 is the correct answer. harm + kill followed with a brew. i can't imagine anything topping the name or his bunyonesque stature.

can't spell chaos without chas. clink.

and you are hereby conferred the honorary medal. keep the freaked out info coming. clink clink
  • Ah.....

Three names that I will remember from my childhood as long as I live - Rod Carew, Tony Oliva, and Harmon Killebrew.

And I can't forget Earl Battey (great name for a baseball player). He was before my time, but grandma had those old commemorative 1965 playoff plastic drinking glasses.

We once got kicked out of Met Stadium for continually shouting at Willie Horton "Hey Horton, did you here a Who?" .
  • edited July 2009
    God, I feel old. My major years of baseball fandom - the 1950s - Brooklyn Dodgers - Da Bums. It was never the same when they moved to California.

Louisville's Peewee Reese, Jackie Robinson, Duke Snider, Roy Campanella, Don Newcombe, Sandy Koufax . . .

I came back to baseball in the late 60s, early 70s with the Cincinnati Reds. So much fun until they broke up the team. My interest has waned since then. I went to MInor League games here in the 1980s, but dropped out again. We have a good minors team here right now, and a jewel of a stadium, but I haven't been pulled back in. Yet.
  • So 68, was the problem that your wife didn't want a child named Killer?

mommio which team are you near?

Craig
  • well, we have two boys...my choice dialed in on #2. incredibly, he has the personality to hold up any name.

by the by, i'm srsly a twinks fan. srsly. being remote, it's neat as sin to see joe mauer, well, be joe mauer. ever look at his high school quarterback stats? freakish.

kelly + gardenhire have made a great baseball lineage.

clink.
  • Joe Mauer is incredible. There is no other word for him.

He needs to take at bat music advice from Mike Redmond, though. Redmond is killing him there with his choice of "We Don't Have to Take Our Clothes Off."

Craig
  • well, truth be told, i can't stand the white sox.

i have a few friends who are sox fans + make it sour. their primary broadcaster "hawk" is an enormous ass. ergo i'm a huge twinkie fan...have been for years...even tho we often end up with washed-up twinkies (jacque jones, gary gaetti).

that series with atlanta will go down as one of the best.

twinks did it to the sox in typical twink fashion last nite - clink. gomez needs to mature at the plate. alot.
  • I lived in Iowa City for 7 years and the Fox Sports channel we got was Fox Sports Chicago. 'Hawk' Harrelson and Darrin Jackson are the most annoying announcing team in history. They're HORRIBLE. I understand Jackson has been replaced with Steve Stone which is a huge upgrade, but White Sox broadcasts will be unwatchable as long as Harrelson is around.

Gomez really needs to be in AAA getting 4-5 at bats every game. He has a chance to be great, but he just isn't ready.

The Twins are running a commercial right now where Hrbek, Gladden, and Jack Morris talk about their great moments in the 87 and 91 World Series and they actually reenact them while splicing the recreation with the original. Watching Morris recreate the last strikeout in the 10th and Gladden score from third on Larkin's hit is great.

Craig
  • is it just me, but did you ever notice "dj" being stoned??? he'd be red-eyed +mellow to counter-act hawk after an inexplicable sox loss in the post-game wrap-up.

my favorite sox loss came in a non-descript game against another pathetic team...aaron rowand had doubled to start the inning. carlos lee was at the plate. no one out. carlos inexplicably!!! bunts. srsly. of course he bunts so hard the third baseman only needs to field the ball and tag on top of the coconut a sliding aaron rowand out at 3b then throw carlos out at first. this was under jerry manuel.
  • He was always very mellow, and I can see where it could qualify as stoned.

My favorite White Sox moment was a Sox player hitting a deep fly and Hawk starting his "you can put it on the boooooard", but then the ball hit the top of the wall and bounced back in play. There was a pause for a second or two before he quietly said 'no.' That was brilliant.

Craig
  • edited July 2009
    Changing the topic back to Undercover:

This thread is just one piece of evidence that I am so far from understanding the "uncercover" lingo. It totally lost me.

And to baseball again:
    By the way, Craig, the AAA team = the Louisville Bats, an affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds. Back in the 80s when I was attending games, the team, then called the Louisville Redbirds, was an affiliate of St. Louis. I enjoyed the Redbirds, but never followed the Cardinals.

My interest in baseball dates to my elementary school years when my mother's brother lived with us during his high school years. He would have 2 to 3 radios going, in different rooms. He was a Tigers fan first and foremost, but Cincinnati, St. Louis, Brooklyn, or whoever was playing would be blaring if he could pull them in -- all AM stations. He would move from room to room, and we all thought he was hilarious. But I did learn a lot about baseball during those years.