Emusers Guide to Music is Good

124»

Comments

• I envy you Kraftwerk (I nearly went and was too busy) and Stevie Wonder. And the fact that I did not go to 15 shows last year.
  • Oh man, too busy?  It was so great.  Both of them, really.

Two shows so far in 2016.  :)
  • My best-of is there for release, when the time is right.
  • My best-of is there for release, when the time is right.
  • edited January 2016
    Looking forward to it, @Nereffid. I paid a bit more attention to the classical lists this year and picked up a couple of things I like as a result.
  • Fantastic Nereffid!

I'll get it up in the next day or two.

Craig
  • Music discovery and distribution platform eMusic has announced a partnership with 7digital to build up the system for its eponymous re-launch.

Following TriPlay picking up eMusic in October 2015, the service has tasked 7digital with producing new features using its content management system.

TriPlay’s 25m songs will merge with 7digital's catalogue of over 40m tracks, relying on the group to handle rights holder reports.

Simon Cole, chief executive of 7digital, said: “TriPlay has an exciting plan for building innovative and compelling features into their newly acquired service and we are proud to be a part of it.

“It is great that TriPlay see the opportunity behind bringing this service back to the forefront and are actively working to improve the listening experience with the support of our platform".

Announced in the UK today in the Drum Magazine, interesting

• Very interesting in deed! I found a little more info here:
    http://www.musicweek.com/news/read/7digital-partners-with-emusic/063899

The way I read it, sounds like they intend to dump the eMusic code base (can't blame them) and run the eMusic site  as a subset of 7digital. Is that how you guys read it?

• eMusic will access its licensed content from 7digital’s global catalogue of over 40 million tracks. It will also rely on 7digital for rights-holder reporting and benefit from other enhancements to the service offering.

Huh, does this mean emusic gets the majors back????

For the most part not an issue for me, but I would like ECM back.

I wonder what this will do for prices.

• edited January 2016
    "Huh, does this mean emusic gets the majors back????"

I read it as eMusic's catalog fits as a subset of 7digital. Also, I think it implies that eMusic doesn't have any particularly special terms in their label contracts.

On second review - it does say merge. If that is the case I don't see eMusic's pricing scheme lasting very long. 
  • Take it to the right thread!  :)

Craig
  • Germanprof said:
    I wonder what this will do for prices.
    That's my big question. I'm only an emusic subscriber because of the prices. 7digital has standard street prices for the most part - if for some reason they don't realize the "subscriber discount" model aspect, then that will be the end of the end for sure.
  • If I dared to say so on the wrong thread, I would agree.

• cafreema said:
    Fantastic Nereffid!

I'll get it up in the next day or two.

Craig
    Yeah ?
  • cafreema said:
    Ungrumble - Thanks !
  • New review posted to MusicIsGood: 1 Mile North, Awakened by Decay.
  • edited December 2017

While this thread is at the top, I'd like to raise some questions about Music is Good.

For those who recently joined,, some years back the folk on this board had a sudden rush of blood to the head and started a group blog about music. The idea was to write about stuff that would not otherwise get much press but deserved an airing. We generated quite a few articles at Musicisgood, and some interviews with artists, written by various folk. A number of the artists written about appreciated it, judging by the reposts to their websites, personal contacts, and offers of more music to review.

Over time it became mostly @cafreema and myself writing. Then @cafreema stopped hanging out here and writing there. And increases in my work responsibilities as my career has developed left me with decreasing mental energy for another writing task. (I still like the idea, and enjoy it when I do it, and would love to do more for certain artists, but...). The posts to the site have become few and far between. The last review I posted, not even any of my facebook friends 'liked' it. (Though the artist enjoyed it and it led to a chat.)

So I guess I am wondering:

1. Is someone still paying an annual fee to keep it there? I am not, but I have lost track of who is. Is it still worth it?

2. Does anyone read/care about the little that still does get posted? (See up this thread)

3. Would any of the folk who have joined emusers lately like to write anything? (Doesn't have to be reviews, just related to music.)

4. Or has it completed the little arc of its existence? (I wrote my top 20 for this year, but am already wondering if I will bother next year as it feels a bit like being the last one talking in an empty room).

I'd be a little sad to shut up shop; I am just not sure if it is still breathing.

• Well I guess that answers my last three questions.
  • Well I guess that answers my last three questions.

I read your top 20 of 2017 with pleasure, and have enjoyed & found useful your top 20s of the past as well...in an alternate reality I would have time to write about music...anyway, I hope you keep posting as you can. I appreciate your tastes and perspectives.
  • For the record, I wasn't even aware of the "MusicisGood" site.  As I have always found your taste in posted music outstanding, I checked it out.  As expected, I was delighted to see some releases that I did have, as well as some that had fallen off of my radar.  I believe that you do an wonderful job of providing superb commentary/recommendations into often overlooked music. And while I hope the arc isn't complete, I completely understand if the juice isn't worth the squeeze.  Regardless, thank you for your thoughtul musical insight.
  • Well, as I've mentioned, I'm not very good at managing the internet and find it hard just to keep up here. I certainly couldn't write a review but I do peek in now & then. I've had some google searches lead me there and always add it to the wish list. So much music and so little time....I'm listening as fast as I can, but I can't get it past 33 & a bit.
    I'd already snagged some from your list and added a few more, just waiting for the right letters. The endless cycle of clearing the lists and adding more. I'll never run out of things to listen to. Only hope I get to hear something for the first time one more time.
  • Thanks for responding, and for the kind words! Good to know that a few people are reading. I’ll keep chewing on it. I do know I will not be able to post enough to keep anything like momentum, which is why here is the realistic hub for announcing at least to a few folk when stuff does get posted.
  • Yes, I glance on it occasionally.  It can be a commitment to post regular reviews -- and I think sometimes a review of an album can go overboard (such as what I see on Pitchfork); I don't necessarily need a musicological interpretation of it, just  a paragraph or two describing what  this mystery meat is about. Unfortunately blogging can be too much about the latest and greatest; I rarely get around to listening to brand new albums, but I appreciate people who have. 

I certainly dig the jazzy/experimental/ambient stuff, but  some of that stuff is relatively expensive for my purchasing budget. 

One thing you might consider is annotated lists. I recently have been getting into Indonesian pop, and was delighted to find two great annotated lists here and here on rateyourmusic.com 

A few years ago on a professional project I prepared an annotated list of Civil War fiction, and had such fun doing it that I heartily recommend these things. 

I typically keep a annotated list of emusic purchases on a single page. Also for lack of anything better I use a Google Form to write very small reviews of things I listen to from the library and other places. I write maybe 75-100 shallow reviews a year this way, but it's more for my own purposes -- to keep track of what I've been hearing.
  • edited January 2018
    @idiotprogrammer I agree that annotated lists are useful. I use them too to help find things. But once I have found things I also really appreciate finding reviews that help me listen to them more intelligently, especially if the reviewer can help me notice something in the music that I might not have heard in quite that way. One of my laments about a lot of reviews of ambient/electronic/experimental music is that they end up being about equipment and name dropping, not about listening. In a perfect world what I'd really like to be able to do more often is to give words to deep listening. Which I accept is not mass-market writing. I have thought about doing some paragraph-length roundups though, and maybe this kind of thing, and also of reviewing things that are not new - I like how allaboutjazz does that and think it should not be just that genre that reviews old recordings. After all, we are new listeners. Time/energy is the main thing.
  • Bill Frisell has a new album coming out in a couple weeks.  He almost titled it "Music is Good."