Emusers' Guide to Makunouchi Bento

Comments

• edited December 2019
    Receiving incoming transmission.
    Ametsen Bilduma Handia.
    https://soundcloud.com/toma-carnagiu/makunouchi-bento-ametsen-bilduma-handia

* track is freely downloadable.

"Ametsen Bilduma Handia"
    by Dr. Tiron & Sgt. Petrescu

Captain SStanley told me not to yodel inside my helmet,
    Mons Venus, Mondo Ares, Robo-Strobo, bats for friends,
    Blinded by the Theseus Ship's headlights, I crave
    For earthly nothings, like grandma Annette's dump cookies!
    Every teleporter is fawlty in my books and even if it's not
    Percolating space radiations make me a new man everyday.

I am a highly mutable bouquet with seemingly limitless visibility,
    I am a second class enthralled Stella-Clay-Boy, third class muck ticket,
    My attic is not open to the general public, buongiorno schematics.
    Golems are inherently perfectly on a string, expectators, rites,
    Regardless of whether Calabi–Yau compactifications of string theory
    Provide a flexible description of Placenta or not.

Discarnate throwaway Earths thrown inside ill-fitting HUDisplay,
    Collecting inchoate Tardigrade feelings that stopped shriveling,
    Komarov giggled hitting the pavement of brotherly bulging hulls,
    Their brief vestigial caressing, smudging carbon-based normcore,
    Burnt, not smoked Salmon run, Solomon's Mines, Red Star eau de Cologne,
    "How Do You Convert Your Harmonic Progressions To Energy?"

• Pulsating Resins

by Makunouchi Bento

"I like it where it gets dark at night, and if you want noise, you have to make it yourself."

H. Beam Piper - Fuzzies and Other People

100% heavily processed Makunouchi Bento field recordings.

https://makunouchibento.bandcamp.com/album/pulsating-resins
  • edited December 2019
    Thanks ! . . . magic stuff !  . . . and a wonderful cover:

httpsf4bcbitscomimga1185135757_16jpg
  • thanks Brighternow:)
    *new album (colab with Silent Strike)
    will be out in january.

( *using samples from was cylinders folklore collected by Bela Bartok)

• Thanks for the Christmas gift and I'll look forward to the Jan. release. You were enjoyed by many last night.
  • edited December 2019
    also now online
    "Bodrog" (full)
    the mockumentary scored and sound design by us.

( ost here:
    https://makunouchibento.bandcamp.com/album/bodrog-ost )

• Silent Strike & Makunouchi Bento - Ghostophonia
    (live excerpts)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY1Anm0QmQQ
  • our new album ( colab with Silent Strike)

is OUT NOW!

Ghostophonia by Silent Strike & Makunouchi Bento

https://makunouchibento.bandcamp.com/album/ghostophonia
    A concept album loosely based on the folklore music from the region of Banat, Romania, collected and recorded by Bela Bartók on phonograph cylinders, roughly a century ago.

• Ghostophonia by Silent Strike & Makunouchi Bento OUT NOW!
    here are 3 promo codes for the fast hands:

84pk-b56k
    ts72-hft9
    vuyt-wpyl

redeem codes at http://makunouchibento.bandcamp.com/yum
  • Thanks so much for your generosity, as always.
  • confused:
    my pleasure!:)
    now also there is a
    http://hyperurl.co/Ghostophonia
    for the album.

the goal with this album is to get some good live acts in Europe.
    so - if anyone can help...

• edited February 2020
    Thanks guys . . . And it is utterly brilliant !

• Thanks! Intriguing stuff!
  • thanks Brighternow and Germanprof!:)
    if you can write a short review as feedback
    would be great. But no pressure of that.
    Thanks!:)

• more download codes on our facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/makunouchibento/
    ( as usual, for the fastest finger...:)

• edited February 2020
    higaru said:
    thanks Brighternow and Germanprof!:)
    if you can write a short review as feedback
    would be great. But no pressure of that.
    Thanks!:)

You are most welcome, I'm terrible at reviews but if something comes up, I will certainly do that. . . . @Germanprof Is an excellent review writer .  . .  ;)

Speaking about reviews,

Ghostophonia is a tribute to Romanian music, a mix of classic and modern styles, simultaneously nostalgic and forward-looking.  The heart of the release is a series of wax cylinders recorded by Béla Bartók a century ago, capturing the folk music of Banat, Romania.  Romanian iconoclasts Makunouchi Bento and Silent Strike set this music in new frames, highlighting its otherworldly tone while drawing attention to its enduring appeal.

“Sun Falls Silent” includes tribal beats and chants, with injections of sharp percussion.  In the closing minutes, UFOs seem to whoosh around both singer and speaker, as if taping a report for their alien masters.  In contrast, “Winds Veiled in Darkness” highlights the timbres of a music box and what may be a combination of washboard and harpsichord.  The artists refer to the original sounds and artists as “tiny ghosts, barely able” to make an impact in the modern era; but they do their best to flip this script.  “Break from the Cellars” is particularly effective due to an alternating foreground of classic song and contemporary bass.  It’s not a dance track ~ the rain and late narration provide too much of an interruption ~ but it glistens with the sheen of the new.

As Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares did two decades ago, Ghostophonia offers a new generation a way to expand their sonic horizons.  The difference between this release and Le Mystère is that Silent Strike and Makunouchi Bento are not aiming for the mainstream; their musical archaeology is centered on intrigue.  The abraded loops of “Scythe-Wielding Crones” rest in a field of chimes and computer tones, giving way to a tentative melody.  And it’s highly unlikely that anyone will place the warped brass and bell tones of “Rhythm of the Noose” in the same playlist as Corona’s “Rhythm of the Night.”  On the other hand, it is likely that the set will pique interest in Bartók’s Romanian Folk Dances or send one scouring the internet for the original cylinders.  One notable irony is that a century later, static and sonic degradation would also become cherished sounds, a quirk put to use on the current recording.

The clearest moments cause listeners to sit up straight, suddenly in synch: the community parade of “Hidden Beholder,” the church bells that open the otherwise abstract “Fallen Hunters.”  These sounds sing of enchantment and invitation.  While these “tiny ghosts” may have despaired of finding a modern audience, now it’s “Our Turn to Hear Them.”  And what better way to end the album than with a kazoo? The party is in full swing, the doors wide open. 

- (Richard Allen)

•   On the other hand, it is likely that the set will pique interest in Bartók’s Romanian Folk Dances or send one scouring the internet for the original cylinders.  One notable irony is that a century later, static and sonic degradation would also become cherished sounds, a quirk put to use on the current recording. 

- (Richard Allen)

No kidding, it inspired me to check out UbuWeb where I found this MP3 link.
    Early Recordings of Music by Béla Bartók (June 25, 1962) 

From a program first broadcast on June 25, 1962, John Whiting presents some early 78 rpm recordings of works by Béla Bartók. Although the recordings suffer from the scratches and other distortions typical of old shellac discs, the quality and historical nature of the performances are such so as to allow for some imperfections in the recording medium. Of particular interest is Bartók’s “Concerto for Orchestra” performed by the Concertgebouw Orchestra of Amsterdam, under the direction of Eduard van Beinum, in which the scratches during the soft intro quickly give way to a robust presentation of one of Bartók’s latter orchestral masterpieces. The recording quality of the following selections of piano music is more problematic, but given that they are performed by the composer himself, who introduces each piece in his native Hungarian, make them of some historical interest, while the pieces themselves are representative of his seemingly simple yet distinctly elegant style of composition.
  • ^^Thanks !^^

Silent Strike & Makunouchi Bento - Ghostophonia (live excerpts)
    - Fascinating !
  • edited March 2020
    From Albert E. Trapezoid aka @Rudie (Hibernating Emuser since 2016)
    - "I’ve raved before about Makonouchi Bento (Felix Petrescu and Valentin Toma) because they have a certain genius for coming up with a story concept and fleshing it out with creative soundscapes. Their latest, “Ghostophonia,” is no exception. This time they’ve collaborated with Silent Strike (Ioan Titu) to create some fantastic noise around the idea of ghosts, both real and imagined.
    The team says “Ghostophonia” is a concept album “loosely based on the folklore music from the region of Banat, Romania, collected and recorded by Bela Bartók…” That’s where the real ghosts come in, as some of those voices are threaded throughout this album’s tracks in subtle ways that enhance the “goings on.” This is done skillfully without relying too heavily on the old recordings, so it doesn’t turn into a nostalgia trip. And as for those imagined ghosts, well, on the release page for this album the song titles are woven into a short written description of the musical journey through the hidden underworld of Ghostophonia. Those specters that arise over the course of this album don’t seem to be up to much good, even through the end of this story. While they are “Descending to the Center of the Earth” in the final song, it leaves us with an appropriately unsettled conclusion."

• edited March 2020
    People everywhere are going through tough times now. A cinematic album can help you "escape" for one hour. Allow yourself to do that, once in a while. We're giving away Ghostophonia for free, as of today. Under "Buy Digital Album", enter 0. Enjoy and stay safe! Think and help the others in need.

By the way, the entire Makunouchi Bento discography (43 releases on Bandcamp) is available for free.

https://makunouchibento.bandcamp.com/album/ghostophonia

• We're happy to be part of Stazione di Topolò's ToBeContinued 2020 music marathon. Our set is a reinterpretation of some of the Bodrog OST compositions - but it sounds completely different. Tune in tonight!

http://www.stazioneditopolo.it/24h-2020/index.html

• we try to collect 100e to buy an experimental video fx app to produce some makunouchi bento videos. if you feel like helping/donating any euro will help. thank you!

https://makunouchibento.bandcamp.com

*buy/donate how much you feel like- any of our releases
  • We made a short demo song using the "Vagabond Crystal" NI Kontakt library by Atom Hub, and absolutely nothing else, no external effects or anything. It's actually a remake of a 20+ years old song of ours, Patchouli - you can find the original chiptune version on our first LP and EP, both titled Himette.

The Vagabond Crystal sample library was created to utilize the sounds of bells, glass, and metal objects. Various items were used and
    sampled: A singing bowl, Tibetan bells, a little gong, wine glasses, a dish cover, water, rocks, a synthesizer, plus hardware and software
    effectors. The idea was to pay homage to crystal, shiny sounds and soundscapes and... caves. Yes, these sounds, their long sustains and
    sparkle instantly bring up images of caves, and of descent into their eerie depths, in my mind.
    I wander through their stony halls, corridors and galleries, and admire the silent beauty of Mother Nature’s work of art. Stalagmites and
    stalactites, like statues, guard the returning echoes of water drops dripping from wet, cold walls and ceilings. An underground river is taking
    me far away from the surface. Time is standing still in the darkness, eyes don’t see. Imagination comes to life. I become a crystal who
    wanders through the dark, like a vagabond without a home.

Written, produced, mixed and mastered by Felix Petrescu and Valentin Toma (Makunouchi Bento)

Artwork by Felix Petrescu (Makunouchi Bento)

Download Vagabond Crystal:
    www.atomhub.net/Vagabond_Crystal.html
    www.kontakthub.com/product/vagabon…rystal-kontakt/

Follow Atom Hub:
    atomhub.net
    atomhub
    facebook.com/atomhubsamples/

Follow Makunouchi Bento:
    makunouchibento.bandcamp.com
    facebook.com/makunouchibento
    twitter.com/bentomakunouchi
    youtube.com/user/bentomakunouchi
    instagram.com/makunouchibento/

Follow Toma Carnagiu:
    facebook.com/tomacarnagiu
    twitter.com/tomacarnagiu
    mixcloud.com/tomacarnagiu/

Thanks @higaru !
  • Just in at youtube:

Makunouchi Bento - Drowned in Bodrog
    - Thanks guys !
  • our new cinematic album is out now!

Drowned in Bodrog
    by Makunouchi Bento

What happens to all the places that didn’t get swallowed by the flood, to all the heat trap cities that did not bake or go under, all of them former villages that await their drowned worlds, abodes for all those landlocked upright walking tetrapods, banished from the waters that spewed them, making a living swimming the dry lands on the bottom of gassy oceans, suntanned with moist expectation of promised storms...

enjoy, spread the news and feedback!
    thank you.
  • and for the fastest hands
    here are 3 promo codes for the new album!

6nhl-jfzf
    kwe4-kpkm
    nj6h-gnt6

you redeem your code here:
    http://makunouchibento.bandcamp.com/yum

enjoy!:)

• Excellent ! - Thank you very much ! :)
  • mind you
    Bandcamp has some issues today
    but will be back later. no doubt :)

• Thanks for the heads up. Bandcamp is off line for me right now but I still look forward to getting the album anyway. You've always been so generous to me, I'd be happy to help support you folks.