Listomania (a place for lists, end of year or otherwise)

Comments

• National Sawdust Log

Best of 2018:
    Noteworthy Recordings

• edited January 2019

- A most interesting list (with Autechre on top)
  • @jonahpwll I am FB friends with Quin Kirchner's mom, and you have made her very happy (along with other critics). I don't know Bobby Previte's mom, but I imagine she's also very pleased
  • I love it when parents/relatives of the musician express joy on social media inre one of my posts.  It's a special kind of happy that I can't explain but it's genuinely felt.
  • Plus those parents are good tippers I bet, amirite?!?
  • Surprised at how many of those best of albums I had in my Random Radio four-parter best-of mix.
    I need to check a few of those others out as well! Thanks for a fine list.
  • Great list, as always @jonahpwll .  I particularly like that you focus on some off-the-beaten-track artists that don't get the attention they deserve.    And I always enjoy the discussion around the NPR "mother of all polls (who also tips other polls well)".     The NPR aggregation of polls always leans towards the tried and true, but that's probably not surprising given the demographics of most of the critics and the disproportionate marketing budgets available to the majors.    London seemed to be the breakout star this year, almost to the point of being trendy with critics.  (Not to say there wasn't fantastic music coming out of London and UK last year - last few years, in fact - but it was funny to see a lot of lists that were the usual "big name artists who were big in the 1960s" + 1 token London artist.

Quin Kirchner has a new release coming in the next few weeks, and I'm looking forward to hearing it.  (Sounds like it will take the jazz/classical crossover a step further for him, which seems to be a bit of a trend with some Chicago composers - Matt Ulery and Orbert Davis come to mind, too).
  • Looks like the best of 2019 lists have started (it still bugs me that people do this in early December, when there is still music yet to be released. It's like declaring the winner of a 100 meter race at the 90-meter mark).

Doofy already mentioned that the Bandcamp countdown is underway.

Here's a bunch of individual reviewers' top ten prog of the year lists and a composite top ten list based on them.
  • And here's the Pitchfork top 50 (I have none of these).
    And NPR top 25 (slightly more interesting)
    And NYT best songs (not much for me there either).
  • I’m with @Germanprof about early Decembering these; always means next year’s lists having something from Dec. of the previous year.  Structural problem, though, that nobody wants to look back in Jan.

I remember a time when I agreed with the A.V. Club , but I’m surprised to have found the list on the Atlantic https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/12/2019-best-music-albums/603286/ or even the NY Times more interesting for 2019. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/arts/music/best-albums.html?action=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

I do still appreciate the depth in considering a whole decade, though.  https://music.avclub.com/the-50-best-albums-of-the-2010s-1839776060

The end of the album also appears to be written on the wall, with “best songs” lists encroaching on album lists’ territory.

• The end of the year is upon us, which means that it's time once again for an Annual Brainwashed Readers Poll. As the longest running online interactive music poll which allows the readers to BOTH nominate and vote, we once again open up the nomination round.

As always, please review all the releases that have been entered before submitting, because if duplicates are entered, your whole entry will be deleted!

Nomination round will run for 2 weeks. Voting round will begin December 22nd and last through the end of the calendar year. Results will be posted in 2020.

• Ted Gioia's 100 Best Recordings (and actually 200) - Perhaps a little more eclectic than ever this year
  • Hank Shteamer's always a great jazz writer - his 2019 "list" (more free-flowing discussion) is a good one: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/2019-jazz-albums-923949/
  • edited December 2019
    Thanks for these lists. I admit that for most there is nothing I've downloaded this year, other than Ted Gioia's second 100, where I have three. It reflects that I've bought less this year, whilst catching up on downloads from previous years. There are a few albums though that I will follow up on Spotify.
  • For me, Gioia has nearly always been too NPR-hippish, but this really is surprisingly varied for him.
    The Shteamer fellow (first time hearing of him) has interesting picks and perspectives.
    Thanks guys.
  • The Gioia list usually works for me as a way to find a couple of interesting things I missed. It also makes me a little jealous - I wish I had that much time and music budget.
  • I think Ted Gioia's music budget is, 'People send me this stuff for free every damn day.'

I saw that Rolling Stone list the other day, you could spend all day. 

No sign of the NPR critics' poll yet. I think/hope Terri Lynne Carrington has a shot at the top spot
  • OK, maybe I wish I could get a mail redirect on his address.
  • I did notice that one of Gioia's picks has only been purchased by three people on bandcamp, so kudos for not just going with the hits.
  • Have we done Quietus yet?
  • edited December 2019
    rostasi said:
    Have we done Quietus yet?
    No, I don't think so . . . Bells ringing for:

3. Caterina Barbieri - Ecstatic Computation
    38. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Ghosteen
    40. Cosey Fanni Tutti - TUTTI
    48. Christian Wolff - Preludes, Variations, Studies and Incidental Music
    56. Matmos - Plastic Anniversary
    79. Oliver Coates - John Luther Adams’ Canticles of the Sky / Three High Places
    83. Félicia Atkinson - The Flower And The Vessel
    86. Carter Tutti Void - Triumvirate

Ted Gioia:
    John Luther Adams - Become Desert
    Laurie Anderson / Tenzin Choegyal / Jesse Paris Smith - Songs From the Bardo
    Jeffrey Brooks - The Passion
    Kronos Quartet - Terry Riley: Sun Rings

- And none from the Honorable Mentions

NPR:
    7. Caroline Shaw / Attacca Quartet Orange
    21. John Luther Adams Become Desert

Pitchfork:
    None, but there's a Fennesz album I hadn't noticed

Perhaps I will do the Bandcamp later . . .
  • On the jazz front, while waiting for the NPR summary, you can find various contributor lists here and here.

Slate, Stereogum, Rolling Stone, Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, NYT, and LA Times all have their top jazz lists out now, too.

The Guardian is almost finished with it's Top 50 album countdown (all genres): 
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/dec/03/50-best-albums-of-2019

As for Ted Gioia's list, I always find it an interesting read, but remain a bit "meh" about a list of 100 "best" albums provided only in alphabetical order.    That sort of implies "I recommend all 100 of these albums equally", and if you recommend every album, do you really recommend ANY album?  :-)   I have no problem with lists that avoid ranking, but at least they narrow the field a bit in most cases.   But, hey, it's his list, and he clearly is passionate about music, so I can live with my pet peeve...

• I guess you really have to have a dedicated process of listening to something and then filing it away ... then the next item that you listen to either goes in front of or behind the previous releases that you heard ... and so on, to create that final list at the end of the year. Maybe this is part of the life of a music writer.
  • soulcoal said:
    On the jazz front, while waiting for the NPR summary, 

Davis usually doesn't release his list until early January, but it is still a Thanksgiving to Thanksgiving list (ballots were due Dec 8). Here's Tim Niland's: https://jazzandblues.blogspot.com/2019/11/i-was-invited-by-jazz-writer-francis.html