(Temporary?) new domain name

emusers.org has expired, and I don't own it so can't renew it. So right now things are running on emusers.net. But, if you're reading this one of two things has happened: you've somehow figured that out already, or it's fixed.

I'm hoping this is a temporary state of affairs but it's a bit outside my control.

Comments

• edited February 2020
    If the condition lingers more than a day or so, at least now this is up we can find the email addresses of the regulars and send out an update. So thanks for getting this set up!
  • edited February 2020
    Thanks @eythian
    - and @Germanprof for letting me know.
  • Thanks for the update. Was wondering if it was an extremely vexing technical glitch.
  • much appreciated - I missed you guys these past few daze!

• Thanks for the efforts and for keeping me in the loop. I was about to contact @rostasi via Mixcloud to see if he knew the score; being the only outside contact I had.
  • Many thanks to all involved, especially eythian and GP
  • edited February 2020
    Thanks to all those in keeping the forum online - and the email with the new/temp domain name.
  • Thanks all for keeping us going, great to see we are back.
  • Well, a big thank you to @Brighternow for getting in touch with me via lastfm. If needed I'd be happy to chip in again with some funds. I was really missing all you folks!
    -Howard
  • If anyone successfully shows up here who is a regular and did not get an email from me about the change, please check your account settings on the site to see if your email address is current. I did get some emails returned to me - one of them said the email account was locked due to inactivity.
  • Actually I see I got 2, my wife binned them by mistake. Oops & Thanks!
  • No email received so far as I can tell. All is correct in my settings, and I check spam daily, but may have got trigger-happy. Saw mention of new location by @soulcoal when checking reddit, so thanks to him, @eythian and all other Rescuers! Meanwhile, my monthly payment was successfully taken yesterday by emusic. Fingers crossed that I get to use it...
  • edited February 2020
    When I go to emusers.org, I get a notice that the domain has expired,
    so somebody’s fibbin’ big time. Yes, this was pointed out above, but I’m just sayin’...
  • rostasi said:
    so somebody’s fibbin’ big time.
    Not sure I follow. What’s the fib? The domain has indeed expired, and at the moment we have not succeeded in contacting the person who technically owns it and therefore is able to renew it.
  • edited February 2020
    ^^ yeah . . .
    my browser has gone from:
    We're having trouble . . . .
    to:

This means that all uploaded images on .org has vanished.
    This affects many hundreds of posts that doesn't make sense anymore.
    - So @eythian please ! . . . is there any hope ?

• This affects many hundreds of posts that doesn't make sense anymore.
    - So @eythian please ! . . . is there any hope ?

There is hope, this is solvable. It's fairly invasive so I'm putting it off until we're sure it's necessary (it'll involve doing a large search/replace operation on the database.)

Also, I'm horrendously jetlagged right now having travelled 12 timezones in about 36 hours, so shouldn't be allowed near anything more complicated than a calculator for the next day or two :)

The better resolution would be if @xtrev notices and renews the old domain. Or it becomes available and someone/I grab(s) it for the forum, then it'll all magically work better again.
  • edited February 2020
    Wow !
    That was quick . . . Thank you very much.
  • Oh, the reason the response has changed on the URL is because the DNS provider has noticed the expiry and redirected it to their own landing page for a grace period. This is normal. It might be they release it in some amount of time, but I think they put it through some auction process so it'd take months or so for it to release normally I think.
  • rostasi said:
    so somebody’s fibbin’ big time.
    Not sure I follow. What’s the fib? The domain has indeed expired, and at the moment we have not succeeded in contacting the person who technically owns it and therefore is able to renew it.
    The “emergency server maintenance” appears to be the fib.
  • > @rostasi said:
    > (Quote)
    > The “emergency server maintenance” appears to be the fib.

Where do you see that?
  • eythian said:
    > @rostasi said:
    > (Quote)
    > The “emergency server maintenance” appears to be the fib.

Where do you see that?

I guess what I'm questioning is whether just a server maintenance would cause your domain to expire?
  • edited February 2020
    Are we at crossed purposes here? I get the impression there is a conversation going on about “server maintenance” at eMusic.com interwoven with the completely unrelated expiry of the domain at Emusers.org? Both sites are down but there is no connection of any kind between the two except that folk here are talking about both of them. Or am I misunderstanding?
  • OK, sorry, then that’s my fault. In the years I’ve been here, I’ve always thought that they were related because they are often presented together in discussions. Must be a coincidence or something that I’m putting a template around.
  • They're totally unrelated. Emusers comes from the inadequacy of the emusic forums, when they were a thing, but isn't connected in any way other than that.
  • So, we’re talking about an amazing same day coincidence. Wow!
    I checked, for fun, to see if emueagles.com was down, but it isn’t.
    That would be just too much cosmic freakout, I suppose.
  • I might give it to about mid-week before I start figuring out how to fix the broken image links if I haven't heard from @xtrev before then. In theory it'll be reversible.
  • I think we should start from zero.

Hi, everyone, I'm "rostasi" and I like all kinds of music.
  • Hi rostasi. Welcome!

@eythian, if we have to buy a new domain, or cash is needed to renew the old, I am willing to chip in. 
  • Hi rostasi. Welcome!

@eythian, if we have to buy a new domain, or cash is needed to renew the old, I am willing to chip in. 

Ta, I already have bought a new domain :) (this .net one), we'll deal with that later though.