Pandora

edited December 2010 in General
What ever became of that Pandora auto sign in thing that they used to have at Mordac

Pandora just sent me an email about Christmas music stations and I tried to log in but it didn't recognize my email address.

As I recall, didn't Mordac have some sort of Microsoft .NET Framework type auto sign in thing that automatically logged you in if you clicked thru Mordac.

Anybody know what I am talking about?

Comments

• I've got a Pandora button in the eMordac Toolbar (in Firefox), which I must qualify as not having been updated in some time, suspicious as I have become of upgrades.
  • I was probably one of the first ever people on Pandora, but haven't used it in, I dunno, eight years. We got a Roku box and I set it up today. Was listening to Pandora on the tv. I was shocked that I actually remembered my login and password.
  • edited January 2015
    I just ran across this article from November about Pandora's history of dealing with royalties. While the first page sounds as if it's going to be another piece on how a struggling artist can't make enough from Pandora/Spotify, as the article progresses (and it is quite long) there is a lot of really interesting information on the background processes, some of which is intriguing in parallel to emusic's severance from the majors and mini-majors in terms of offering a glimpse of some of the possibly relevant processes at work in the industry. The parallel is not exact - emusic is not a streaming service and so the royalties don't work in the same frame - but these are a few points I found interesting:

1. Pandora has since 2009 had some kind of special deal to pay less per song to artists than the levels set by federal authorities for the industry as a whole. It is currently campaigning legislatively to have its royalty levels further reduced.

2. Apparently, some of the major labels responded by winning the right to selectively pull their catalog from the licencing process, then pulled it from Pandora without telling Pandora which songs were pulled, essentially opening Pandora to copyright infringement suits if they played any material from those labels, and used this as leverage to negotiate a substantially higher rate or royalty for their material than is paid to other labels.

3. Some of the mini-majors (including Beggar's, Merge, and Epitaph) entered into a deal with Pandora where they accepted lower royalties than everyone else in exchange for Pandora tweaking its algorithm so that listeners are made to hear songs from those labels more than songs from other labels.

4. It appears that what was in this deal for Pandora was being able to establish a precedent for a willing seller-willing buyer agreement in which labels freely entered into lower royalties in order to make a case for lower market value of music and have a basis for arguing for lower royalty levels overall with the federal regulator.

All of this makes me think: the jockeying for position going on behind the scenes is complex, unscrupulous, and relentless, with all sides seeking small legal and financial advantages by manipulating the way the system works. Our various discussions on the emusic board about why emusic dropped the majors or how we'd like certain majors back is pretty uninformed in terms of what might have gone down, and in many cases ("surely emusic could make money from the majors") rather naive.

Anyway, I just found it interesting. If you want to cherry pick, most of the above details are on p.4-5, but the history from p.2 on is worth reading.
  • edited February 2015
    @GP

Vely intelesting
    the jockeying for position going on behind the scenes is complex, unscrupulous, and relentless, with all sides seeking small legal and financial advantages by manipulating the way the system works.

In other words 'Merica, all systems functioning normally.
  • Pandora no longer going to be available in Australia & New Zealand...

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/06/27/pandora-radio-tim-westergren-resignation/

Also, Westergren's out.

• jonahpwll said:
    Pandora no longer going to be available in Australia & New Zealand...
    Back in my day of using it NZ, most of us lived in the 90210 zip code area anyway.