Merry non-denominational day of glad tidings, joy and good will ...

edited December 2010 in Diversions
...to all my friends here at emusers and to all my enemies too (although as far as I can tell I haven't made any enemies here yet). But if I have made any enemies then this greeting goes double for you.

So believe no lies and dry your eyes

Comments

• Merry Christmas, Jacked! As late as it is, we have no cookies for Santa so the boys + Mia are scrambling to make a batch to join the obligatory glass of milk. it is safe to say the boys are way too amped to drift off til about daybreak...and i'm hesitant to try and pin down the specific day.

Santa Chas
  • Call me Scrooge. I do not like Mannheim Steamroller. Never have. And I have heard way too much of it today. Ruins the Christmas music I love. Makes it sound frantic. Bah, humbug!
  • Now that I have that out of the way --

JUJ, 68, and all you other eMusers, wishing you a merry and blessed Christmas. It doesn't matter whether or not you celebrate it, or how you celebrate it, the wish for all good things is a heartfelt one.
  • Well, here it is, officially Christmas, December the 25th - and as usual, I'm sitting here by the fireplace, taser in one hand and a syringe-full of propofol in the other, waiting for Santa Claus to come down the chimney so that I can finally get an explanation for that travesty back in '75 when my big brother got a full set of Hot Wheels and I only got a stupid f***ing sweater. But of course he never shows up, the cowardly old bastard.

At least this year I've got a computer and an internet connection to while away the hours until sunrise... And there's also Graeme, my new cat, who's been looking awfully interested in the taser HEY PUT THAT THING DOWN YOU BAD BO98&(*^TGOYGWLUFO))*_(}8y0-9u
  • A very merry Christmas to one and all.

Since we do Christmas on Christmas eve, I can now relax with a random selection of alcoholic beverages and mountains of left-over food.
    The three day cooking marathon is over, all non-residents have been banished from the house, I'm wearing my brand new pj's, the phone is off, music is up and the toughest decision we'll be making today is whether to make some bubble-and-squeak first or go straight for the chocolates.
    Heck, it's even snowy outside! Maybe life's not so bad after all...
  • Merry Xmas emusers!
  • As late as it is, we have no cookies for Santa so the boys + Mia are scrambling to make a batch to join the obligatory glass of milk. it is safe to say the boys are way too amped to drift off til about daybreak...and i'm hesitant to try and pin down the specific day.
    I can say that conventional holiday observances aren't necessary to produce that effect. My four-year old was plenty amped up by the Star Wars marathon.
  • Merry Christmas to all!
  • A very Merry Christmas to all. Having a grand time picking up the ornaments those 2 naughty cats keep knocking off the tree (old fashioned looking non-glass non-breakable ones - we plan ahead) but it's the first tree for these rehabilitated delinquents so their having fun is merely a minor inconvenience. They're on a real tear this morning like they know somehow. Have a happy.
  • Woke up a little bit ago, gave the youngster his first Christmas morning bottle, and am now sitting here watching him soak in the world while I listen to Lee "Scratch" Perry. My wife thinks it's weird that I'm listening to reggae on Christmas. I disagree, it's perfect.

Soon we'll see what Santa brought, and then head over to my parents for a big Christmas meal.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Craig
  • Merry Christmas, everyone!
    I'm waiting for my son to get up, so we can have brunch and open prezzies.
  • edited December 2010
    A very merry Christmas to all and everyone. . . . .

w1.jpg

Morning has broken, like the first morning
    Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird
    Praise for the singing, praise for the morning
    Praise for the springing fresh from the word

Sweet the rain's new fall, sunlit from heaven
    Like the first dewfall, on the first grass
    Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden
    Sprung in completeness where his feet pass

Mine is the sunlight, mine is the morning
    Born of the one light, Eden saw play
    Praise with elation, praise every morning
    God's recreation of the new day.
  • Merry Christmas all.

The thread title indicates all are welcome to celebrate a festive day, and you can choose your own reason for it.

I am not being anti Christmas but I always thought it was kind of self defeating to have a day of joy for everyone but only so long as you bow down to our God. So bow or not Happy holidays.

Anyhoo, I am "sick as a dog" but I have taken a powerful cocktail of various over the counter meds to hold me together while I drive a couple of hours to consume some holiday vittles.

Wish me luck
  • dear baby jesus up on high, please do not let god or any of his cronies throw a snowball at jacked up jazz. he's already been walloped by some evil plague - prolly one the far right has created in their various labs of self-righteousness - and to knock him down another notch would just be pure chicken shit.

• One of the most uplifting prayers I have ever come across. :)
  • Amen and Happy Holidays to all...
  • happy holidays, everyone. best wishes for a bright, better 2011.
  • Well, between 68's inspired invocation and just a wee bit O' better living through chemicals I have survived.

I guess its on to the next hill.

68 you may have a future as a holy man, just make sure you keep your paws out of the collection plate.

@Brighternow
    Indeed
  • edited December 2010
    080102155439-large.jpg (edited)
  • I just had a discussion with my wife today as I've taken to saying "Happy Holidays" to other people. It has nothing to do with them or the fear of offense. My wife is Jewish and I, personally, haven't celebrated Christmas since... '84 or thereabouts. So I say "Happy Holidays" because it's my way of politely acknowledging their well wishes without explaining my own system of beliefs or partaking in theirs.

For the record my Mom invited those able to come on down for the 25th anyway and we ate our fill of breakfast meats. The big problem with marrying into a Jewish family is that their genes tend to dictate a lifestyle that shies away from pan-fried, salted goodness. Brunch with my folks means a few pounds of bacon, sausage, and scrapple to go along with the ham and cheese omelet.

And thus I hope you all had a merry Saturday as I and my kin had.
  • edited December 2010
    I just had a discussion with my wife today as I've taken to saying "Happy Holidays" to other people. It has nothing to do with them or the fear of offense. My wife is Jewish and I, personally, haven't celebrated Christmas since... '84 or thereabouts. So I say "Happy Holidays" because it's my way of politely acknowledging their well wishes without explaining my own system of beliefs or partaking in theirs.

For the record my Mom invited those able to come on down for the 25th anyway and we ate our fill of breakfast meats. The big problem with marrying into a Jewish family is that their genes tend to dictate a lifestyle that shies away from pan-fried, salted goodness. Brunch with my folks means a few pounds of bacon, sausage, and scrapple to go along with the ham and cheese omelet.
    My perspective is the opposite. I'm Jewish, my wife is rather agnostic: religious decisions are my domain, but she still likes Christmas traditions. I'll tell people "Merry Christmas" to those whom I know celebrate, but I won't acknowledge it when it's said to me. There are enough people in the immediate area who don't appear Christian (lots of Hindi and people from the Near East) that such greetings aren't offered up quite as quickly.
  • Happy holidays, emusers.

Just got back last night from the long holiday weekend. A couple nights in Louisville, then over to the Lexington clan's house for two days, now back to our home in Middle of Nowhere, KY. My wife is very sick, a temperature and all the goodness that implies. Apparently it was going around in Louisville; my brother-in-law also got nailed by it.
    I, hopefully, will not get it. If I do, I will do whatever I can to obtain some cough syrup with codeine. I just got over a very bad cold, the worst my wife has seen me sick, just last week, and I have no intention of going through all that misery again with over-the-counters, even if that means biting the bullet and seeing a doctor (I have no insurance). Preferably, I would just as soon not get the cold at all.
    We live in hope.
  • edited December 2010
    dear baby jesus who art on high (who i invoke as we western saxon-accented types need a compassionate figure) please do not let god or any of his cronies (who i invoke because god has always been typecast as the kinda guy you should fear above all others) unleash the wicked plague (prolly concocted in the labs of the self-righteous far right - who i invoke because they are constantly applicating morality to plagues) upon brother jonah as knocking him down another notch would just be crazy-vindictive.

to re-cap, baby jesus, please do the interventionist thing and keep god's right hand (the one you sit closest to) in check and if he gets pissy about him being the one who controls every last infinitesimal tick of the big clock, just turn the other cheek and then where will THAT leave him!!!

amen.
  • A very merry Christmas to one and all. And happy holidays to those not celebrating Christmas.
  • A Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all, and ain't it just tout sweet that the world didn't end and there's still time to try to listen to those digital libraries some of us are sitting on. Listen on, Garth.
  • To those celebrating, Merry Christmas.

Personally, I am having computer issues. I might go nuclear soon, just restore Windows.
  • Merry Christmas, here's my favorite Christmas song: Green Christmas, by Stan Ferberg. We used to listen to this old record every year growing up.