Could someone post this on emusic forum? Michel Portal

edited February 2011 in eMusic New Releases
Michel Portal has a new album out "Bailador", well, kinda, it's not really on Amazon yet but it sorta is... y'know, I don't fucking understand, lol, but in any event, I'm really really curious if emu is gonna offer it soon. And so...

1. Does anybody think the mods would be able or willing to answer the question, "When will emu be getting Michel Portal's "Bailador"?

And if the answer to the first question is yes, then...

2. Could one of you current emu members post the question to the jazz subforum for the mods?

I tried logging in to my emu account just to confirm that it had been canceled. Along with my confirmation that it had, I also received an offer to return at half off the first month on a Basic plan (basically I'll be paying six bucks to get twelve, then it switches to full price with no loyalty credits. No loyalty? Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Oh, no, wait, that makes sense, never mind. Of course, I don't see why they couldn't buy my loyalty with the offer of loyalty dollars. Don't they get how loyalty works? Man, emu just understand anything, do they? I believe this may be the longest parenthetical comment in the history of mankind, maybe even further back than that, y'know, like before the gods and the aliens and whatnot. So, anyways, here's a link to that Bailador album. It's just thirty second samples, but damn do they sound good... http://www.musicme.com/... you might have to enter Portal's name in the search box to get the album to pull up.).
Anyways, thanks in advance.

P.S. You don't need to reference my nick in the question. I don't want emu to think I'm getting wistful for them.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Done, Jonahpwll

Just listened to the samples, which I liked. I've now got to decide whether to wait for emusic or try to buy it in Euros.... I'll wait for a reply, but as it is on Universal we probaly won't get it anyway here
  • Thanks, Greg.

The AAJ site has the label as Emarcy, and their stuff does show on emu, so I'm hoping it pops up and I can grab it.
  • Interesting - it is certainly Universal in France according to musicme. I just about know enough French to work my way around that site - an interesting discovery thanks. If it isn't available on emusic soon, I'll try downloading paying in Euros. One of my credit cards doesn't charge exchange fees for Euros, so that will help
  • It just occurred to me... if MusicMe is a French site, why isn't it called MusicMoi?

This is what happens when the coffee is too strong and I drink it anyway, folks.
  • It just occurred to me... if MusicMe is a French site, why isn't it called MusicMoi?

Actually it should be MusiqueMoi.

Lawyered.

Craig
  • Damn, now I wish I had passed the bar just so I could sign off on all my posts with a 'lawyered'.

Not a bad band name, really. Lawyered.
  • The me translates. Should be MusiqueMe.

googled.
  • Oooh, in your face, Esquire! How does that feel, huh? Oh, wait, mine is still wrong. Never mind.
  • Eh. That's an Anglicization. Something tells moi if you ask a Parisian they'd beat your ass for saying 'me' is French.

I stole 'lawyered' from How I Met Your Mother by the way.

Craig
  • edited February 2011
    Eh. That's an Anglicization.

Unless it's a truncated sentence with the self as indirect object...La musique me prend comme une mer! La musique me donne des id
  • Eh. C'est une anglicisation. Quelque chose dit moi si vous demandez
  • edited February 2011
    I believe Music is acting as the verb--Musique-Moi! would be the equivalent.

ETA: forgot the dash.
  • edited February 2011
    ils avaient battu le cul pour dire «moi» est le français
    Of course the whole point is probably that it's not French ... in many cultures, when you are selling things that you want to sound trendy then using a snippet from another language adds a certain je ne sais quoi.
  • amclark2 - It's actually in many episodes. My favorite is when one of the other characters schools someone and asks Marshall "Permission to say lawyered?". Permission is usually granted.

Craig
  • certain je ne sais quoi
    Itself an anglicization, given that "je ne sais quoi" arose to express an uncertain something, not an indescribable something.
  • Language prof'd

LOL! Big time.
    I stole 'lawyered' from How I Met Your Mother by the way.

Not lol.
  • I'm not drunk enough to speak French right now...

True story. A friend of mine had a co-worker in town from Belgium one weekend. He asked me if I spoke French and I told him that I doubt I could remember enough of those 4 years, but I'd give it a try. After a few beers we were actually conversing fairly well and I was able to help him with some of his English.
  • edited February 2011
    A friend of mine had a co-worker in town from Belgium one weekend. He asked me if I spoke French and I told him that I doubt I could remember enough of those 4 years, but I'd give it a try. After a few beers we were actually conversing fairly well and I was able to help him with some of his English.
    I once "translated" for a Quebecois man when a Parisian ticked agent "could not understand" him.

(Replace translated with repeated and could not understand with refused to understand.)

ETA: for some reason, I've done a lot of on the spot translating for people in French trains stations. The best: I translated to the French ticket agent for a woman who was speaking in German, who was herself translating from Russia for two young men from Moldova.
  • Reminds me of one of my favorite Frasier episodes - a fencing instructor speaks German, the housekeeper translates to Spanish and Frasier translates into English for Niles and vice versa. Of course, the translation has inaccuracies, and the fun begins.
  • The situation might have been as charming, had the Russian woman had not said some insulting things about the Moldovans and obsessed on the German word for train (zu + g = Zug).
  • Language prof'd

Hey, wait, I have a question for you, GP!

It's about rules regarding quotation marks and where the punctuation mark should fall.

Okay, now this I understand...

- He said, "I want my Michel Portal album." ---> I get that the period is supposed to fall inside the quote mark.

Now, how about these...

-Quotes indicating context, ie ---> I can't believe Emu charges $9 for a ten minute "album". OR "album."

-Single quote indicating word, ie ---> I can't believe Emu keeps using the word 'club'. OR 'club.'

-Single quote shortening a word slangily, ie ---> He kept runnin'. OR He kept runnin.'

I have been told that the period (or any punctuation mark) comes inside the quote no matter what, but some of those just don't make sense to me if they do.

Please solve this grammatical dilemma for me, preferably with a response that will allow me to say, "I told you I was right."
  • edited February 2011
    I was taught (and tend to practice) that punctuation goes inside the quotes if it is also part of what is inside, otherwise it goes outside (meaning I agree with your examples). But I freely admit that I could be wrong - especially considering how much teasing I dished out to my friends who refuse to accept that they are wrong for putting two spaces after a period.

Plus "elementary school grammar studented" doesn't sound that authoritative.
  • Yes, I kind feel like "word units" should stay together inside the quotation marks. But there are rules to things, especially amongst the grammar cognoscenti.
  • how much teasing I dished out to my friends who refuse to accept that they are wrong for putting two spaces after a period.

Ugh, you're one of those...

Craig
  • edited February 2011
    @jonahpwll, cultural dislocation has left me confused about this half the time, because the UK (where I grew up) and the US (where I live and teach) have different usage. The US norm is all periods and commas inside all speech marks, regardless of the logic of which linguistic unit the punctuation belongs to. In the UK, then the first of each of your alternatives is correct. So you are right (or wrong) either way, depending where your plane just landed. I have found that one of the effects of living in a US-English world has been to make me terminally uncertain about things I once thought I knew. And since both forms of English are now widely encountered through media wherever you live, confusion is probably getting to be the normal condition. (I even wonder whether this state of affairs helps generate cultural impatience towards "grammar nazis" - the usage one encounters in the wild is just not that clean).
  • The pedantic one here -- although the rules say period inside the quotation marks, I now do what looks right. Sometimes the rule results in a sentence that looks all wrong. Since I am no longer graded on the rules (at least by people who count), I just do as I want. Heh. That's how I survived English classes all my life -- use what sounded/looked right. More often than not, it worked.

Judging by recent books I have read, I think there are a nunber of writers who do their own thing, too.
  • I have no problem at all with that approach in most everyday cases. Two things about the 'rules' are first, that they are attempts to describe usage in ways that lend precision, not scientific or moral laws, and so change with time and can be freely bent when little is at stake, and second, that they matter mainly when precision is needed (I do a fair bit of academic editorial work and there are many, many instance where what seemed right to the author actually created implications they didn't at all want when pushed, of the "eats, shoots, and leaves" vs. "eats shoots and leaves" variety).
  • I just don't want to look like an idiot when I send my book into agents and publishers.
    I think I've got the rules I'm gonna go by, but they're handcrafted, and I'm not sure how much talent I have at that.
    We'll see, I guess.
    Thanks, all.
  • Germanprof, poor use of commas certainly changes the meaning. I typed my own dissertation, and I referred back to the publication manual many times. I also typed several dissertations for friends (that's how I paid off the credit card purchase of my first computer), and they did need more help than typing. I also taught undergrad classes for a few semesters, and I was appalled at the lack of skills, both in grammar and in spelling, evidenced by those students.
  • Yeah. The spelling problems do contribute some fun memories, though. Like the student who turned in an assignment to me on "Pubic Transport in Germany."