These Genres Are Taking Up Too Damn Much Space

edited February 2011 in Fight Club
I'm releasing the kraken here, so there. These genres are taking up too damn much space and I don't give a rat's patootie about experimental, electronic, neoclassical, and a lot of indie - there I said it. I am a closeminded retro-loving dinosaur who only likes blues/jazz/rock/roots-rock/metal/country/latin/reggae/folk/acoustic/international/medieval/baroque/opera. A little more discussion on any of these topics would be appreciated. Love to all.

Comments

• Retro dinosaur?

593879_Pixel-Dinosaur_400.jpg

There's already too damn much discussion of medieval music.

As for the rest of it, are your fingers broken? The "Start a new discussion" link is just up there on the left. Put your money where your mouth is!

Craig
  • Oh, yeah? What about your fingers? The last post I did on Cuban music here got no response, and the response to this post on acoustic music was pitiful.
  • There's already too damn much discussion of medieval music.
    Fuck it, there goes my Oswald von Wolkenstein thread...
  • I feel you, BigD. I tried to appreciate Makunouchi Bento...lord knows I tried. Swim
  • Agreed Doofy - at heart I suspect I am just a musical impecile...
  • BigD: I'm not the one bitching about the lack of posts in specific genres! All I know about Cuban music is that Buena Vista Social Club rules, and I'm not much of a fan of acoustic, so if you want posts, hop to it!

Nereffid: I'm so freakin' sick of hearing about Oswald von Wolkenstein. Seriously I get it, he's German and possibly descended from aristocracy. What more is there to say?

(All kidding aside, I agree there has been an disproportionate amount of ambient posted about recently, most of which I don't 'get'. It'll even out though, I'm sure.)

Craig
  • I've been thinking that there hasn't been enough talk about indie releases. It's almost as if it's just assumed that there are some of us that listen to the big indie releases and that's to be kept in the "listening" thread. Which is why I'm about to go medieval on some new threads... get it?
  • I think there could be more categories, but honestly, I read most of the posts on here, even for genres I don't care that much about. I've never gotten into Reggie but still wonder if the right album could covert me too.
  • I'm about to go medieval on some new threads... get it?
    There's already too damn much discussion of medieval music.

watch out - you'll get lawyered.
  • never gotten into Reggie?

This should help:
    Leonard-Rossiter-as-Regin-001.jpg
  • edited February 2011
    Hmm. I'm one of the people posting ambient, electronic (a few other things) regularly. Happens to be a big chunk of what I'm listening to/looking for at this point. And, before I sound like I'm disagreeing, it's totally understandable that a string of posts in a genre of less interest to any individual make the board less exciting at that point. Now to sound like I'm disagreeing (when I'm actually thinking aloud): it's hard in principle to know whether anyone else is interested without posting it; some posts connect, others don't, across all genres. Can't help in some of those other genres - I ignore those as not of immediate interest a lot of the time. My sense was that that's kind of how it works here - that there are enough different interests that no-one has to like what other folk are posting, but that everyone should keep posting it because those occasional serendipitous points of contact do happen. And that if something might be of interest to SOME other members of the board, it should be posted - not just if it falls within some kind of consensus. How much is too much? I personally don't want others to post less of what they find, because that means less chances that I'll find something I wouldn't have looked for. Should an ambient discovery post be delayed until some requisite number of posts in other genres have been added in between?
  • My sense was that that's kind of how it works here - that there are enough different interests that no-one has to like what other folk are posting, but that everyone should keep posting it because those occasional serendipitous points of contact do happen.
    You're exactly right - please don't stop posting things you find interesting.

The problem is that the categories are fairly useless right now (no offense to xtrev, he started this up without any help and put in what seemed right). So much really does get put into the general category. What needs to be done is compact the number of genres used and split up the non-genre categories better. I would suggest starting with something like Other Music's categories because they have a bit more flexibility. It seems silly to me to separate Alternative from Rock/Pop at this point - the same thing with Punk.

I think we need to brainstorm some better options.
  • Personally, the only problem I have with ambient stuff is that the album-cover art looks a lot like shoegazer album-cover art, so on a web forum like this it's hard to tell the difference sometimes if the person posting it doesn't actually say what genre it is. Other than that, no problem!

I actually do like some ambient stuff, but what I prefer tends to be more guitar-based (as opposed to electronic). Just sayin'.
  • please don't stop posting things you find interesting.

ditto. Most of the music I post is like 60s/70s jazz, far from what most people on this board are into.

I rarely if ever go into any of the categories, and I follow almost every thread. I like checking out what people are listening to, that's why I'm here!
  • edited February 2011
    There should be more Whirling Dervish posts !
    - Just sayin' . . .
  • In case you can't find them on their site, this is how Other Music breaks things down:
    American Roots
    Classical
    Electronic
    Funk/Soul
    Hip-Hop
    In
    International Pop
    Jazz
    Out
    Psychedelia/Progressive
    Reggae/Dub
    Then
    World

Not necessarily perfect, but a good starting place. In case you've never been to the store, "In" is the catchall for "popular" music (meaning rock, pop, indie, alternative, punk, etc.) while "Out" is for experimental stuff. Might want to drop International Pop and instead have something like Ambient - or an even more obtuse choice like Background!
  • Do they have a "shake it all about" category?
  • eMu could easily have two categories: what's not on eMusic and how crappy a service is eMusic.
  • You forgot Southern Boys with Nothin' to Say.
  • edited February 2011
    Remember the category is Fight Club, so let's no one go getting all worried about propriety or balance.

As for lawyers I've got Theodoric of York on retainer, so watch out.
  • Well, if we're gonna have an In and an Out category, we definitely need an In 'n Out category... There's a hot new release I've been dying to write about but can't find the right place to slot it.

albumcoverJoeHenderson-InNOut.jpg?1226729352
  • So where would we put these guys?
  • @BigD-Bluez There's too damn much politeness in this fight club. Hard to tell what's a fight and what ain't.
  • We could really run with this kind of theme.
    In - rock/pop/indie/alternative/etc.
    Out - experimental/avantgarde/etc.
    Now - not sure how to keep this separate from In
    Then - classic rock/re-issues/compilations/old farts remembering things
    Here - american roots/folk/acoustic/country/blues
    There - international
    Back - ambient
    Fore - jazz
    Up - reggae/dub
    Down - funk/soul/hip-hop
  • edited February 2011
    All Directions - Jerseyband.
    Now now! - music your mother would not approve of
    Now then - old farts getting duets with current teenie artists
    Back there - ambient with sitars
    etc.
    Oh, and "old farts remembering things" is the most compelling new genre designation I've heard in years.
  • Ambient
    Not ambient

- Simple huh ?
  • You're all a bunch of pantywaists. There are two genres of music, and ONLY two:

Good - Music I Like
    Bad - Music I Don't Like

If you're posting about Bad music, you can post on another board.

Craig
  • You see, I just hate that attitude. I listen to plenty of bad music.

Now if you'll excuse me I've got 500 Crimson Razorback singles to sort through...
  • Doesn't matter if you think it's bad. All that matters is if I think it's bad.

Craig