Grammy thoughts

edited February 2011 in Fight Club
Lady Gaga convinced me I should never go out in public without ass armor. It's just not safe.

Comments

• Katy Perry made me want to go deaf. Rihanna managed to be worse.

Go Esperanza - elwoodicious must be drooling all over his TV.
  • My friend Kory Kruckenberg won a Grammy. It's weird knowing someone with a Grammy.
  • Didn't watch but...

Spalding.jpg

::sigh::
  • Oh, and some of my friends are less than pleased with Spalding winning...

Facebook-20110214-070939.jpg

In case you were wondering, she got her start in the Bieber Army as a Twitard.
  • My wife's cousin posted about how awful Katy Perry was. I agreed. One of her friends, however, said she liked her. That's the point when I unfriend someone...

I'm confused about your friend? Is he/she suggesting the fact that Bieber plays his own instruments as a reason why he should win over someone like Esperanza?

I think the Grammys are crap, but I'm still excited for Arcade Fire, The Black Keys (3 freakin' wins) and Esperanza. Plus The Avett Brothers were awesome as always.
  • Yeah, I think what she is postulating is that Spalding is a fake and that The Bieb is the _one true_ artist. I look at it this way: at least her fantasies are being fulfilled, right? Now If I could get an hour of private bass lessons from Esperanza...my form might improve.
  • My four-year old is pretty impressionable, but he simply doesn't get Justin Bieber. And his guitar playing reminded me of all those people who seem to buy the biggest dreadnought they can find.

I'm starting to wonder if Mumford and Sons know anything about music arrangement other than "strum harder." They were the weakest link in the soi-disant country-folk set. Avetts, thought, did awesome with their own song.

Gwyneth
    stop
    singing
    now.

Normally I curse to the high heavens whenever my son stumbles upon Star Wars, but last night it was a blessing to be forced to change the channel.
  • edited February 2011
    Anyone still making claims that the largest indies are the same as majors should check out the twitter backlash against Arcade Fire. Obviously even if someone like Lady Gaga or Katy Perry won there would be some "haha, I don't even know who that is" comments, but there's a crap load of "who the fuck are these guys?" tweets.
  • Didn't watch the Grammys -- I don't know who most of those people are. I didn't want to wade through all that hoping to see The Bob and Ms. Streisand. Heard that The Bob was great. Haven't heard anything about Streisand. Prima donna that she may be, I still remember how wonderful she was when she was first making a name for herself -- still some of my favorite albums.

I bought Suburbs -- I think it was from Amazon when it was a deal of the day? Believe it or not, I still haven't listened to it. Just one more of those signs that I have too much music.

Bieber? I'm with the four-year-old. I don't get him, either.
  • edited February 2011
    Heh. My coworker who has a few years on me said he was really confused as to how The Suburbs were winning a Grammy. Then he got really confused when they thanked Montreal.

Apparently Esperanza's Wikipedia page got attacked last night by angry Bieber fans. For some reason picturing rioting Bieber fans makes me laugh.

Craig
  • @elwood: funny too that ticket and album sales must equal greatness. BTW: Which Esperanza album do you recommend as a starting point?

I didn't watch last night, but was pleasantly surprised that The Suburbs, Black Keys, and basically anyone not Katie Perry, Gaga, Beiber or Eminem won.

I think rioting Beiber fans would mostly just scowl and text.
  • BTW: Which Esperanza album do you recommend as a starting point?

I think the second one, called Esperanza, would be the one to start with. I have all three but that was the one I got first and it's still my fave.
  • edited February 2011
    @choiceweb0pen0, Muggsy has it right, Esperanza to start then Chamber Music Society then Junjo. They are all strong in my opinion but then again I'm a fan. ;-)

As for rioting Beiber's, the best that I can tell from my unscientific research, the rank and file is mostly drawn from housewives so I full blown altercation might involve V70XC and X5's and tall glasses of either chardonnay or pinot noir and some catty remarks your choice in handbags.*

*Full disclosure: I spend way too much time at my daughter's preschool passively observing the other parents and wondering what it'll take to uproot my family and live in a treehouse in Costa Rica.
  • Great thanks, Muggsy and elwoodicious! Will check them (and her) out.
  • I have only Esperanza - downloaded it in April 2009. Nice album.
  • edited February 2011
    I lost interest in the Grammys back when Christopher Cross won 5 Grammys in one year for one album (the same number that the Beatles won the whole time they were together). When Toto won several a few years later, that sealed it for me - I haven't watched them since

Artist - Number of Grammys won:

Beatles = 5 for original music (two in 64, one for writing Michelle, two in 67 for Sgt Pepper)
    Rolling Stones = 2 both in 1994 - Voodoo Lounge and a related video
    James Brown = 2 - one in 65, one in 86
    Chuck Berry = 0
    Jimi Hendrix = 0
    The Who = 0
    Led Zeppelin = 0
    Neil Young =0
    Bob Marley = 0
    Talking heads = 0
    The Clash = 0 for original music, 1 for longform video in 2002
    Nirvana = 1 for a live album after the lead singer was dead, and the band broken up.

You could add a lot of other greats too, but mot of the above both artistically and commercially successful.
  • OK, so I presume I found the wrong one here, lol. Although if this had beaten Justin Bieber that would have been interesting.
  • edited February 2011
    Why....I haven't seen this much fervid devotion since, since......

155231_468522287406_625792406_6134562_2356576_n.jpg
  • Much to my surprise, Mick Jagger was well worth watching last night. He pulled off one hell of a tribute to Solomon Burke. Not that I think Jagger is some talentless hack, but the last live performance I saw of his was that pathetic effort during the Super Bowl halftime show a few years back.
  • @frog: are those two different people?
  • Clones, I believe.

The rumor is that Justin Bieber was bred in a laboratory using DNA scraped Donny Osmond's underwear......
  • edited February 2011
    Man, can't believe you're ripping on Toto. Why you gonna put me in the unenviable position of defending one of my guilty pleasures?
    Toto rocks.
    Well, they don't rock per se. But they are fun to listen to.
    Comparing them to Bieber is just plain wrong.
  • Toto's greatest claim to Rock bonafides is that their drummer died in a bizarre gardening accident!
  • It's sad when you start your adolescence combing over your hair.
  • Nice little writeup on Esperanza.

The only Toto song I know (at least that I know I know) is "Africa," and I do love that song.

Hmm. Donny and Justin do look alike. Makes me wonder if Justin is imitating Donny the same way Gaga imitates Madonna. I don't know a single Gaga song. Or Justin, either.
  • edited February 2011
    It's possible the Bieber contingent - who are, after all, mainly young girls - is viewing this as a kind of reverse sexism. After all, if you're male, the last person you'd want to give an award to is Justin Bieber, whereas it's difficult to look at something like this:

6961.jpg

and NOT think "this person deserves every award imaginable." But if you're female, you wouldn't necessarily have that reaction. Also, there's the upright bass factor; hopefully nobody here really needs me to explain that. I mean, it would be one thing if it were a cello, but an upright bass? I mean, seriously.
  • I mean, it would be one thing if it were a cello, but an upright bass? I mean, seriously.

Oh, I think the cello is pretty great too.

Craig
  • Oh, I think the cello is pretty great too.
    4849067219_4376df4841.jpg
    Another band that has consistently not won at the Grammys.
  • I enjoyed the Mumford > Avettt Bros. > Bob Dylan sequence, the final scene with all those instruments was great. Dylan was in great voice and seemed to be enjoying himself. Really. And considering some of his other Grammy performances....Since I have long thought that the Grammys were not really about good music, but the status quo, I am pleased with the Esperanza nod.

Saw this on Paste: Justin Bieber Fans Attack Esperanza Spalding's Wikipedia Page.
  • The artist that really impressed us was Yolanda Adams - looked her up today and she is a gospel artist and talk show host, and I thought, "Damn, this broad can sing." Sorry for the near blasphemy, Yolanda.