Julia Kent

edited February 2016 in Classical
press1.jpg
"Julia Kent was born in Vancouver, Canada, studied cello at Indiana University, Bloomington, and lives in New York. She was an original member of cello-rock band Rasputina, who released two records on Columbia and toured throughout North America. After leaving Rasputina she joined Antony and the Johnsons, playing on and contributing string arrangements to the group's Mercury Prize-winning record I Am a Bird Now, and touring Europe, North America, Australia, and Brazil, including shows at Carnegie Hall and the Royal Albert Hall and numerous television appearances. In addition to her ongoing participation in Antony and the Johnsons, she has performed and/or recorded with many other artists and ensembles, including the Angels of Light, Ben Weaver, Burnt Sugar, Leona Naess, Teddy Thompson, Devendra Banhart, Donovan, Larsen, William Parker, and Angela McCluskey.. As a solo artist, she has performed at the Donau Festival in Austria, the LEM festival in Barcelona, and at venues throughout Europe and the U.S."
- http://www.juliakent.com/
A new solo record of looped cello, field recordings, and electronics inspired by the intersections between the natural world and the human-created world:

Bandcamp:
4254881641-1.jpg - And @ Emusic: 155x155.jpg
(Important 2011) - (Bandcamp link)

Comments

• Ooooooh. Now that floats my boat. Thanks!
  • What??? A woman playing a cello wearing pants, not a skirt? MUST check it out.
  • edited February 2016
    a0593828053_14.jpg

""Probably best known for her cello playing with Anthony and the Johnsons and Angels of Light...Canadian-born Julia Kent has finally released her first solo album. Delay was recorded between endless touring and traveling and it shows. Inspired by long waits at airports, Kent creates her private world in the midst of the usual chaos and disorientation. Consisting purely of multi-tracked cello and found sounds, the tracks on this album are like an oasis in that micro-cosmos called the airport, in a sense following Eno's concept of Music for Airports. Each track on this album is interspersed with short interludes of environmental sounds recorded at a specific airport (such as Idlewild, Malpensa and Schiphol), which gives the track its name. This concept works wonderfully well. Kent manages to give each airport its own atmosphere, ranging from hectic and chaotic to an almost pastoral calm. As a total, the mood of this album reminds me much of Daniel Figgis' brilliant 1994 CD Skipper. Delay is a great album in an already great music tradition of albums inspired by airports. I'll be traveling to Finland soon and I'm looking forward to play Delay as a peaceful musical haven in a chaotic world. Delay? You'd almost wish for one."
    - Freek Kinkelaar, Vital Weekly.
    - @ Emusic.

BTW: Freek Kinkelaar is a member of Beequeen.
    - The Wonderful World of Freek Kinkelaar.
  • Julia Kent and Barbara De Dominicis have a new project entitled Parallel 41.
    http://www.par4llel.org/

A CD+DVD can be ordered at the label's website.
    http://www.baskaru.com/karu21.htm

And here is a link for the eMusers.
    http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/album/-/-/13394934/

The 41st parallel runs an imaginary course from New York to Naples, Italy, where reside Julia Kent and Barbara De Dominicis, respectively. Therefore, you could say they are both on the same geographical wavelength. However, they also share the same musical wavelength, as they are both quite fond of delicate ambiances, loops, and spontaneity.

Cellist Julia Kent weaves dense sonic fabrics using real-time looping techniques she truly masters. Poet/singer/electronic artist Barbara De Dominicis likes to integrate live-treated field recordings to her inspired vocal improvisations.

To these two ingredients – Kent and De Dominicis – we must add a third one: the locations. The tracks on this debut album were improvised and recorded in 2009-2010, mainly in Italy, in unusual locations with promising acoustics: a fortress, an abandoned tunnel, a wool factory, a farmhouse. The artists inhabited these places for a while, and in turn these places inhabit the music, through microphone and hydrophone recordings of their surrounding area. Each piece has its own unique character.

To the main CD (8 tracks + 1 bonus track, total duration: 44 minutes), the Baskaru label is adding a DVD featuring Davide Lonardi’s documentary film Faraway Close (35 minutes). The filmmaker followed the duo on their journey. His film includes bits from interviews and performances, panoramic views, and archive documents.
  • Thank you.

Lemme see if I can cull together a video and some links and make a post on eMusic's 17 Dots blog and give the album a little extra spotlight.
  • edited June 2012
    Greetings jmellymello. . .

- and welcome to Emusers !

I am curious as to how you found us and what your relationship (if any) to Julia Kent and Barbara De Dominicis is ?
    - I will certainly check out the links, thanks !
  • Hello Brighternow.

Thank you for your welcome message.

I am not affiliated in any way to Parallel 41, I am just a lover of Julia Kent's releases and I follow her everywhere on the web.
    I found you thanks to Google and I think you have started a nice thread here.

Cheers.
  • Belated Thanks!!! I'll spend the morning thinking good thoughts for everyone.
    Julia Kent

Delay                                                                   Green And Grey (Expanded)

Character                                                             Asperities

Shinya Sugimoto & Jeremy Young w/ Julia Kent     Julia Kent & Jean D.L. – The Great Lake Swallows 
      – Total Fiction    nyop

Temporal