Kickstarter Albums

edited June 2011 in General
Anyone see any interesting albums being funded via Kickstarter these days?

A couple weeks ago I got an e-mail from singer/songwriter Ben Carroll (whom my wife and I met on the night I proposed to her) asking for people to check out his Kickstarter project to fund his 3rd album. Fortunately it got done before the deadline.

This week I got an e-mail from Charlene Kaye (whom several of you are familiar with via Bandcamp) regarding her next Kickstarter-funded album, which easily hit the target with 3 weeks to go.

So I'm curious if there are any other good musicians out there looking for money!

Comments

• Jason Parker also used this approach for his recent album
  • I need to start perusing that site regularly. Of course, we're broke, so it's not like I can help that way, but maybe at least I can help spread the word.

I really do like the idea of that site.
  • Theresa Anderson, a Swedish Born musician, now living in New Orleans used Kickstarter about a month ago to raise money for her second album. Her first album Hummingbird Go is great and she is wonder live, so I was happy to give some money and to get a digital copy of her new album when she finishes it. I look at many projects on Kickstarter and all but a few sound great and worthwhile.
  • That's my problem with Kickstarter. Almost all the projects are so interesting I couldn't possibly donate to all of them (or even many of them) that I'd like.

Craig
  • Quinteto Latino - 100 Years of Mexican Music for Wind Quintet, a classical chamber project featuring new music oboist Kyle Bruckmann.
  • An Evening with Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer

I'm in for a buck in order to get a download of the show.

Craig
  • If anybody has a crowdfunding project they're personally involved in or just one they really like, I created a subforum on AAJ where you can post about it...

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45
  • Just coming on here to post that one. Will be my second kickstarter project I'm backing. I need to check out more of the music ones.
  • So I'm backing the Music from Saharan Cellphones listed above and looking forward to my music sometime next month.

In the meantime, though, just got an update on the project from the guy doing it. Apparently some folks got together and remixed the album with the title Music for Saharan Cellphones. It's a free download: here.

Craig
  • It's off post a bit, but someone on here is trying to make a documentary about the child's book the Phantom Tollbooth.
  • edited February 2012
    345246191-1.jpg

Interesting kickstarter-ish project at Indie GoGo: Heat Death records is looking to raise $800 to fund a physical reissue with extra tracks of Alex Tiuniaev's Blurred, which had a digital release on Audio Gourmet (stream here). Buying in costs $16 and you get a copy of the CD and a download code and your name in the liner notes. Pretty neo-classical music.
  • edited March 2012
    Not on Kickstarter, but on a similar website is David Wax Museum new album project fundraiser though it looks like they've hit their goal already.: http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/davidwaxmuseum
  • I just contributed to the Tiuniaev project above. It needs about 9 more contributors and has 2 weeks left.
  • edited March 2012
    Not an album....more like a new bandcamp-like thing to watch out for:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cashmusic/cash-music-platform
  • edited June 2012
    It takes a special person to think a bassoon quartet could make a great album of pop music arrangements. Clearly, there are plenty of such people and if you'd like to join the frey, check it out here.
  • edited June 2012
    There are so few bands I love more than Drew Grow and the Pastors' Wives. Wild, cutting edge alt-rock with a gospel bent.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/amigoamiga/new-drew-grow-and-the-pastors-wives-release-via-am/

For more of their music: http://notfree.drewgrow.com/album/drew-grow-the-pastors-wives
  • ^^^^^^^I like the one where you can get an authentic West African cell phone.
  • Got the e-mail from him today and already backed this second one. I love that first comp he did. The cell phone idea is great. BMSR just did their next album via Kickstarter and one of the support levels got you a rubber mask like they are using for the cover of the album.
  • edited September 2012
    An interesting article Amanda Palmer: How ukulele player raised $1m to make an album

If the link can't be accessed outside the UK I'll copy in the article, but it ought to be OK
  • No trouble accessing it from the U.S. Kind of odd that they mention Palmer is a ukulele player in the article title, like that is her main achievement as a musician. That seems minor compared to her being in a band with a solo career. Interesting too to learn that she is married to Neil Gaiman.
  • I was regularly reading Gaiman's blog when they started dating, got engaged, and then married. It was pretty cool because so many people thought they were a perfect match just based on their friendship and it seems to be a union that been such a positive influence on both of them.

It's pretty cool how much Ms Palmer has embraced the "new music industry" (switched her own store to bandcamp awhile ago, very consumer friendly pricing, kickstarter albums, etc.) - but it follows pretty straightforward from that video of hers that was posted around here.
  • edited October 2012
    Interesting endeavor I read about that is linked to Kickstarter - The 78 Project - wherein these guys are making recordings (and a documentary) the olde-fashioned way - direct to acetate disc, and you can listen to samples at the site, including Richard Thompson and Rosanne Cash, getting their lo-fi on. I believe they are soliciting support for the documentary and to keep The Way Back Machine turning. Kind of cool. Oh, they don't have AutoTune.
    Oh, it looks like the movie is done - I don't know how old that scrap of newspaper I was reading is. You can watch it there.
  • edited November 2012
    This is for a movie, not an album, but the movie is a documentary about someone who may be of interest to others here besides me--Neal Cassady. He was the basis of the central character in On The Road, Dean Moriarty. He was born and raised here in Denver. Or it might be more accurate to say he was born and then just grew up wild in Denver. He lived in the Lower Downtown area which was then Skid row and now is LoDo, the home of dozens of pricey little restaurants, live music venues, bars and the Colorado Rockies.

Kickstarter page

Article from Westword, the local entertainment weekly
  • Sounds interesting, denver. A movie version of On the Road is due out next month or so.
  • @Denver

Did they finally clear out that section of Larimer by the ballpark between 21st and Park Ave. that held on to its seediness even years after Rockies Stadium and the new LoDo wealth moved in? I keep cheering for that section to hold out. Long live El Alcaran!
  • I hadn't heard that the movie was coming so soon. It opens December 21st. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews are a mixture of good and bad.

A year ago while I was going out to canvass in the Highlands I went through that upper Larimer area often. It seems to be in transition. It was a depressing clash of extremes that seemed to me to be illustrative of how this country is headed. There were sleek looking restaurants where people (mostly young and white) were probably paying $8 or more for complex cocktails and $20 and up for dinner, and there was a park where homeless people (varied, but much more likely not to be white) were hanging out, and nothing in between the two. [/editorializing].
  • @Denver

No, you're totally right. LoDo was a run-down area that bordered downtown and government areas, which meant the homeless could actually walk to many of the services they needed from wherever they were crashing. When they built the ballpark down there, they tore down a ton of buildings and tried to sweep out the homeless and the addicts and the normal people living in one of the few areas they could afford.

But it was crazy how a tiny pocket of that area just wouldn't budge, even as the young moneyed gentrifiers moved into condos and Rockies fans covered the area in purple, you'd still see homeless and drunks and drug deals and pawn shops and dive bars in a small rectangle of LoDo, between approx. 21st and Park to the west and east, and Larimer and Lawrence to the north and south.

You could walk three blocks and pass through three different worlds... New LoDo, Old LoDo, and then that hidden pocket of a neighborhood just to the south of that... when I lived there, I don't even think it had a name, but I think realtors gave it one later. Sort of in low 20s for street numbers and between Glenarm & Benedict Park to the south and maybe Welton to the north... not quite Five Points, not quite LoDo, not quite Downtown.